What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

You think so man?

I'm not bothered in the least by the idea of it being in the temp track but when I saw Apollo 13 and that scene in particular it immediately jumped out at me as being an almost mirror of what was happening in ROTS, musically and visually.

Anyway, I've no dog in this race but it's certainly interesting to hear that you think otherwise.

You think so man?

I'm not bothered in the least by the idea of it being in the temp track but when I saw Apollo 13 and that scene in particular it immediately jumped out at me as being an almost mirror of what was happening in ROTS, musically and visually.

Anyway, I've no dog in this race but it's certainly interesting to hear that you think otherwise.

I dunno, the moods are very different. I guess that stands out to me more than similar instrumentation and window-gazing.

Is this it?

No, it's a brief cue that wasn't on the official release.

Is this it?

It doesn't seem to be, I was also looking on Youtube for it.

Well I've just checked my folders and I have a 40 second track called Distant Thoughts.

If you have the complete score it should be there.

I'm not really familiar with the OST so I don't even know if it's a track of cues edited together.

This is the track

https://soundcloud.com/ste-brennan/distant-t/s-iMgon

Of course it's different than the ROTS cue but I find there to be enough similarities, again musically and visually to believe that George L was inspired by it and presented his own take on it ....but who knows :lol:

I dunno, the moods are very different. I guess that stands out to me more than similar instrumentation and window-gazing.

Oh yeah, different moods indeed but my thinking is that the instrumentation and window-gazing was enough for George, ha :D

I always assumed Padme's Ruminations was temp tracked with something from Gladiator.

I do actually like Padme's Ruminations but it certainly did stand out as something quite different than everything else.

Yeah, it could be Gladiator or something like that, I'm sure there's no shortage of possibilities.

Star Trek: Nemesis complete score

Occasionally a hard listen, specifically throughout tracks 7-17 (!). I still really enjoy this one.

The OST really holds all the highlights for this. But the Varese set is nice to have anyway.

Just checked my iTunes and no, the OST was a shit assembly.

1. 1 Remus

2. 2 My Right Arm

3. 3 Star Field_Argo

4. 4 Odds And Ends

5. 5 Repairs

6. 6 The Mine

7. 7 Ideals

8. 8 True Nature

9. 9 The Mirror

10. 10 The Scorpion

11. 11 Battle Stations

12. 12 Let's Go To work

13. 13 Attack Pattern

14. 14 Lateral Run

15. 15 Engage

16. 16 Full Reverse

17. 17 Not Functional

18. 18 Final Flight

19. 19 Firing Sequence

20. 20 A New Friend - That Song

21. 21 A New Ending

It is all Jerry wanted us to hear. I trust his judgement on that.

All the King's Men by James Horner: Tragic melodrama and crafty suspsense Horner style, which means it is darn entertaining and wears its heart on its sleeve but that is its charm really. That guy could pen wicked melodies when he wanted to. Sons of Scotland makes a brief surprise visit on one of the tracks but otherwise there aren't too many overt quotes from his older stuff here.

It is all Jerry wanted us to hear. I trust his judgement on that.

He would have said we all need to go get lives!

That's our Jerrald!

I am sure he is grinding his teeth at the upmteenth version of Rio Conchos that was released a while ago.

Listened to some OSTs on the eve on definitive reissues

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

Love this score, especially all the themes in it. They are all so good! I don't know why I didn't ever buy this score in the 90s (I only picked up the OST a few years back and listened to it for the firs time then), because if I had I would have been listening to it regularly for 20 years now. Can't wait to hear the complete score presentation!

James Horner - Braveheart

Love the main theme and love theme, and Revenge is a cool track. Horner was clearly very into this film and music!

Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct

My first time ever listening to the OST presentation! I never had any version of this score in the 90s; Picked up the Prometheus version a while back and enjoyed that. Picked up the Varese CD of the OST recently for cheap (I think I got it at Amoeba Records). Well, the buzzing noise I'd heard about is very obvious! I can't believe this went out to manufacturing like this! Really can't wait to hear the definitive presentation with proper sound.

War of the Worlds (John Williams) OST

This score is way too long on album. If you delete some totally unnecessary tracks such as "Probing the Basement" and "Escape From the Basket", you certainly improve matters. There is some dull underscore in this one. I don't like to alter the composer's intended album presentation, but this one's a prime example of a modern JW OST that takes full advantage of a CD's capacity, but should really have been the length of a vinyl album at most. "Ray and Rachel" and "Refugee Status", the really haunting laments amid action and horror/suspense fare are the standout tracks for me.

Was in the mood for some Jerry today

Gremlins

This is on Spotify now! Such a fun score, I loved it all.

Innerspace (La-la Land)

Kinda bored by this one. Seemed like uninspired Jerry.

Chain Reaction

The OST, on Spotify. My first time ever hearing this score. Well, I didn't know it took so much from Air Force One! The little 3 note riff from that gets used a lot. So basically its like a generic Air Force One without any of the patriotism. Odd score. I have no idea how the complete version changes things.

Innerspace (La-la Land)

Kinda bored by this one. Seemed like uninspired Jerry.

To me Jerry was very inspired. Watch the film, then listen to it again... it will all make sense. The way he uses synths as a part of the film's sound design.

It's a fun 80 minutes and a release I was waiting for years to happen.

And that cowboy theme !!! :lol:

It's a nice and pretty inventive score but people hooked on themes often have a problem with it because it's main thematic identity is a jittery-but-flexible three note motif. But the application of that into almost every cue is just brilliant, at least if you consider the craftmanship necessary.

Power Rangers: The Movie - Graeme Revell

Still one of his strongest scores and solid OST arrangement, but the sound quality is shitty. Something like "Journey to the Plateau" and "Jurassic Ride" cry out for a Bruce Botnick, Joe Iwataki or even Shawn Murphy mix. The themes are still well-delineated and enjoyable enough, but Dan Wallin needs to be put out to pasture.

Maybe Varese will do a limited re-issue with better sound quality...

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna

A little early visit, but it was calling to me. My favourite score for the season. Absolutely sublime.

Just listened to it yesterday as well. Such a lovely score.

Have you tried The Good Dinosaur yet Mikko?

I haven't had the chance yet. It is on the list though. :)

I was just thinking that The Nativity Story would make a great concert experience. It would be wonderful to hear all the choral and soloist music in a live setting.

:music:The Good Dinosaur by Mychael and Jeff Danna

Karol

The Good Dinosaur is nice. Not brilliant but nice.

Furtive self-promotion!

I think it is called shameless!

And I like it!