What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Craig Armstrong - Victor Frankenstein

I think this was the first Craig Armstrong score I ever listened to? Unfortunately, it did nothing for me...

Sadly his music in general doesn't do much for me.

Alien complete score

This is kind of a tough one to get through, but why even other when Jerry assembled a perfect album?

Alien_6.png

We gotta rearrange all these cues and in order to do that, we need the OST!

The Pagemaster, again. It's a really solid album, flows so nicely that it almost feels like a 57-minute concert piece. And it also happens to be the complete chronological score. Quite rare.

Karol

Douglas Pipes - Krampus

There were some fun moments throughout, but overall the score program is very long with lots of filler in between

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - Georges Delerue

There are thick unrelenting clouds of mournful darkness hanging over Delerue's 'unused' score for this small-town morality tale and it's easy to see why the Disney brass decided to reject it in the summer of E. T. and POLTERGEIST: it's more of a score for director Jack Clayton's supernatural chiller THE INNOCENTS than for the light-and-magic show the producers obviously wanted but didn't get even after relentless tinkering in the editing room.

It so often wavers around in funeral piano registers it takes Intrada's new release in perfect sound to appreciate its nuances and finely shaded moods (lots of great bassoons) that are only occasionally broken up by one of Delerue's pitch-perfect gallic tunes for two frolicking boys (substituted by ripe americana in the Horner version) and while there are few surprises for Delerue lovers (the dark choral elements are similar to POLICE PYTHON 357, the sad adagios...well, i lost count) it's a case of where Delerue needed this score (or film) to master these elements into a score greater than the sum of its parts.

To my unending delight, there is no circus music (considering the movie it may have seemed tempting) except for a calliope version of Mr. Dark's theme which actually is a great little funeral march. Together with Horner's more blunt and american fantasy score that is a great thing in its own way, Delerue's moody version offers now a second opinion - much more than this rather forgettable movie ever deserved. So...just get both.

Prisoners by Johann Johannsson

Wow, this is pretty good!

Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

A lot of fun, as always.

The Cell by Howard Shore

Insane.

The Reivers by John Williams: The "expanded" Columbia records version of the album with 1 additional track. There is something fresh and uncomplicated about this score that is full of rural Americana charm as Williams in an almost Max Steiner way runs the gamut of American musical styles with his melodies that on the soundtrack brim with innocence and exuberance in their joyful tones. Nostalgic, humorous, energetic and full of warmth it is indeed like a gentle childhood memory with a happy ending. Oh and for those who dread long albums this is little over 30 minutes and breezes past very fast.

The Reivers Suite for Narrator and Orchestra (John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra with Burgess Meredith as narrator): A wonderful musical memento from the score, where Williams brings together the written word of William Faulkner, performed with gusto by the actor Burgess Meredith who was the original narrator in the film, and excerpts from the score that capture very well the raucously playful spirit of the score. The narration is expertly woven with the music and they compliment each other throughout. Williams took the opportunity to embellish the composition and takes advantage of the larger orchestra and took even time to include new purely musical setpieces to the suite like the sprightly scherzo for the horse races which went unscored in the movie. Compliments the score album in a nice way as the music gets a new separate guise here.

Amazing Stories: The Mission (Joel McNeely)

It's neat to be sure.

Pops Britannia by John Willians and the Boston Pops: Another superlative BOP compilation album where the real attraction for JW fans is the gorgeous Jane Eyre Suite.

:music:King Solomon's Mines

The today's announcement from Quartet reminded me that they released this just before Christmas last year. I ordered it back then but it arrived one day before Christmas Eve. And I was so busy back then... that I forgot about ever buying it! Crazy!

Karol

I used to think the middle dragged, but it definitely doesn't. The "underscore" is really interesting and pleasing. And, I can listen to the complete program easily. McCarthy has real skill.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Batman (1989) OST

Currently listening to the old Bay Cities Return to Oz OST. The sound on this thing is absolutely bitchin'. Dynamic range is some of the greatest I've ever heard. The best tracks to crank are The Ride to Dr. Worley's and The Flight in the Storm. Holy shit!

Intrada is inoffensively brighter and louder, and ultimately inferior because it's not original. The OST kicks the shit out of the film version presentation, that's for sure.

See? They made CDs better in the 1980s because it was a new format for audiophiles who listened to music on specialty hi-fi systems.

Now they reckon everyone only listens to music in the car with the hood down or on public transport in tinny earbuds.

The worst thing that happened to the compact disc, or even digital audio in general, was allowing it to go mainstream.

braveheart_LLLCD1375.jpg

BRAVEHEART (LLL expanded) - James Horner

Over 2 hours of one of James Horner's defining works that aren't strictly necessary for musical reasons - there is just more of the same - but still an interesting object to study now 20 years after the fact. So i caved in and bought it. Due to monochromatic nature of the score it is not an easy haul: Gibson's romantic-but-grim Spartacus redux set in the scottish highlands demanded a musical glue that, apart from instilling the expected epic scope, mainly heightened the tragedy and pathos of rouser William Wallace's tale.

The importance of the score proper, but also the approach Horner took cannot be underestimated. It hardly is the greatest score ever written but it defined the way such projects were tackled afterwards, especially the measured gloom and doom with heavy emphasis on string orchestra and pointed-if-glossy use of ethnic instruments.

Apart from a few happy jig odds and ends, the score is clouded in a mossy, fatalistic romanticism that at its heaviest musically defines the angry, oppressive dread of the story ('Attack on Murron', 'Revenge'...it's still a Mel Gibson movie) and at its most flowery ('The Secret Wedding', 'Romantic Alliance', 'Freedom') cements the larger-than-life epos that only a big Hollywood production seems to ever get right without blinking.

Idiomatically Horner eschewed tried-and-true formulas at the time - always with an eye towards british sophistication (and minus an appropriate scottish counterpart) he chooses Ralph Vaughan-Williams as starting point, weaving the questing, wispy string chords from i. e. the Tallis fantasia, together with Holst (yes, 'The Planets') and vaguely medieval folk song harmonies that do a pretty well job defining place and time. Three (!) ennobling themes for Wallace's fight for freedom are especially noteworthy: without clear precedents in any ethnic area, their universal appeal helps selling this aspect of the story as allegory for the heroism of all such endeavours.

Since Miklos Rózsa's heyday it was customary to attack historical subjects with music of the period in mind; by the mid-90's, the sophistication of such approach was already watered down to the more pop-infused sensibilities of the time. Horner, never shy of taking advantage of current trends, employs his vast battery of ethnic instruments (ethnically wrong but blending in well with Horner's general approach) either as superficial greeting card courtesy of an irish tourist office ad (i. e. in 'Wallace courts Murron') or, more successfully, in tandem with synthesizers as bleak backing that defines the cruel dark age depicted in the more gruesome proceedings ('Revenge', again, and 'Battle of Stirling').

Coupled with the since-then au courant minimalist touches, BRAVEHEART plows ahead to the finish line growing more expansive and anguished, culminating in a big betrayal that gets a monumental workout for string orchestra ('Betrayal & Desolation') before singing of a tragic-yet-heroic martyrdom with a cooing children's chorus (never one of my favourite Horner devices, at least not if used in such literal way) before finally exploding in symbolic comeuppance that managed to sweep audiences to their feet back when i saw the movie in 1995.

LLL's expansion now adds some meat to the bones of the already meaty-indeed but awfully repetitive album Horner released at the time of the movie: the deadening repeats of the Murron love theme are interrupted here by more atmospheric moments and some strong material for Wallace's army attacking the english oppressors and, finally, the defining schmaltz moment of Horner's career next to the shameless LEGENDS OF THE FALL, namely a montage of the cast of characters at fate's junction set to Horner's impossibly charged sighing split strings ('Romantic Alliance') that somehow recall the sugary string arrangements of 50's pop tunes crossbreeded with adagios, romantic style.

Note: the original had bad clipping in spots, due to what sounds like an overemphatic bass treble. LLL's release now corrects this and sounds exactly as a great LSO recording should sound (the slightly synthy feel of the score is by design) and while you could sample BRAVEHEART in a good 50 minutes without losing much, fans of Horner should have a field day: while it served as a template for many scores that he and others did later, the refined musical qualities of many longer cues (i. e. 'The Secret Wedding', 'Sons of Scotland') were hardly surpassed later - either by Horner or others.

Just rewatched the film yesterday, to see if there were any cues of interest that didn't end up on the OST, and can't say I noticed any major one. The fact that you mention mostly tracks that already were on the original album in your review goes to show the additional material isn't really noteworthy!

Depends. I would choose 'Romantic Alliance' over 'For the Love of A Princess' in a heartbeat. Also the more moody material imho is preferable to the repetitive released material, as is the charged 'Wallace Moves On York', brief as it is.

But then, in a day and age where record companies triple-release complete editions, a first re-do of BRAVEHEART is hardly a major offender.

Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

My annual listening of this wonderful Christmas-themed score. I can't say enough great things about it. Mix of fun and magic with great melodies.

Blizzard.jpg

It is a lovely upbeat Christmas score to be sure. :)