What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I felt like something a little different this morning so I listened to The Eiger Sanction. Old school Williams orchestration sparsity (better for album listens than his ultra sophisticated modern sound), some chilled jazz and a bit of prog rock in the middle made my final drive to work before the break much more enjoyable than it might have been. A dated but diverse 3 out of 5 score. 

It's a great little score to be sure. A bit of jazz and a bit of Baroque thrown together with the pop-ish sounds of the 1970's. It makes for a nice listening experience. Remains a curious but listenable souvenir of the time.

:music:Wyatt Earp by James Newton Howard (LLL 3 disc mammoth release)

Hopefully, I can someday add this score to my collection. Varese, please, re-release this one. 

:music: The Hateful Eight. Undoubtedly the second best score this year (although it might share top spot with Williams). Morricone is the master of suspense, perhaps as good as Herrmann. No big themes here, just collection of small motifs. I haven't yet listened to the dialogue tracks or song. My iPod features only 51 minutes of score. It might be a tad repetitive this way but the music is so good anyway that I don't mind.

Karol - who listened to Quartet's Total Recall before that

I have been having a hard time getting through The Hateful Eight.  It is so repetitive that I just turn off while listening to it and pay attention to other things.  I'm sure it will work well in the film, and it is extremely texturally interesting, at least in its base elements that are repeated over and over.  I don't think it will have any shot at edging out my favorites this year: TFA, Jupiter Ascending, or Wolf Totem.

The Rapture - Thomas Newman

Shit, how the hell did it take me so long to really discover this incredibly crafted score?  Newman has soooo much ability that he is apparently only very rarely willing or permitted to utilize.  A real revelation.

After I play for midnight mass, I think we're gonna get drunk and watch Eyes Wide Shut, as usual.

Is the backwards priests thing Christmas music?  I think it's becoming Christmas music.

basic_instinct.jpg

BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith 

Never having owned an useful upgrade of the old Varése - save for a suspicious bootleg - i leaped at the 2015 release from Quartet in vain hope that's the final verdict on Goldsmith's most predatory lascivious score.

While Goldsmith was on an albeit short perfect album streak at the time (MEDICINE MAN? RUSSIA HOUSE? GREMLINS 2? TOTAL RECALL? Even lessers like SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY and FOREVER YOUNG? All releases that ranged between 38 and 60 minutes and were perfectly assembled), the score to BI remains the most important JG creation of the 90's in terms of peer and audience recognition and it took a great deal of labor pain to arrive at its now seemingly obvious balance of chilly strings and sensual dread.

So having it now unfolding in 75 minutes means getting into a few areas that idiomatically weren't covered by the old Varése and which help to break the Tramell spell, so to speak, as the old album was solely concentrated on scenes revolving around Sharon Stone or her influence. The new tracks are not strictly necessary but having 'One Shot' and 'Beth and Nick' and especially the remaining Stone cues, 'Catherine and Roxy' and 'Don't Smoke' still has its perks, listening-wise. 

It's all very lean, Goldsmith by this time had become disinterested in showing off, entering the John Barry-phase of his career, but even with the very focused orchestral resources he still is able to generate a sometimes almost baroque feel of opulence, like the electronic harpsichord playing underneath the icy high strings of the 11-note 'in motion' theme for Michael Douglas's character that gives way to a perfect wedding of woodwinds that lap around a little string cadenza when we first see Sharon Stone turning her face towards us - a moment that easily could've turned into parody in lesser hands.

There has been said all that needs to be said about the mischievous application of the string orchestra simulating an epic (and dangerous) sexual intercourse - pre-cum may be dripping out of your speakers at the 3,5 minute mark in 'Pillow Talk' - and frankly, the movie owes Jerry big time, Sharon Stone should lay flowers on his grave once a week. But he got a lot of recognition for it that was richly deserved. 

Given his fondness for Verhoeven we can bemoan the latter's decline and especially losing the elusive Carolco follow-up, 'The Crusades', an expensive Ahnuld spectacle on the crusades that was scrapped for - brace yourself - 'Cutthroat island'. Having Goldsmith score a Verhoeven flick with christian knights in Jerusalem, you know, it boggles the mind.

23 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Is the backwards priests thing Christmas music?  I think it's becoming Christmas music.

I suppose in the same way Die Hard is a Christmas movie, sure.

John Barry's The Lion In Winter -and

the Star Trek Generations expanded that I got the other day.

Can't help but feel the strength of Generations is in the action pieces (Outgunned, The Crash etc) and the overture. Prisoner Exchange/Time Is Running Out and others feel a bit plain and same-y when you compare to say Star Trek V which has tracks like Raid on Paradise to Free Minds/The Birth etc.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto, and Bryce Dessner - The Revenant

Didn't find anything here interesting at all.  Still looking forward to seeing the film!

I did. Made it to 42 minutes.

1. Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village

2. Rey's Theme

3. March of the Resistance

4. The Falcon

5. The Starkiller

6. Han and Leia

7. Scherzo for X-Wings

8. The Ways of the Force

9. Farewell and the Trip

10. The Jedi Steps and Finale

Some painful sacrifices had to be made. But I like the way mine is paced.

Yeah, I would never choose to do a smaller playlist of TFA, but if releases were limited to ~40, that'd not be so bad.  It has all the highlights of the highlights.

Though, I might switch Han and Leia out for something else, maybe The Abduction or Torn Apart.  Though, having Han and Leia more conforms to the type of musical narrative I think Williams would try to create himself.  I dunno.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens FYC

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith expanded edit

The Empire Strikes Back OST

The Empire vinyl is truly the definitive presentation of the score. The sound is tremendous and every subsequent release was a step down for no apparent reason. I also really appreciate the arrangement of the cues. Williams cared fuckall about even remotely following the narrative of the film outside of the placement of the main and end titles. It's a superior listening experience, with bonus clunky analog edits. It's perfect.

Hopefully, it's a good remaster.

I also listened to the ROTJ OST. Jedi is an even longer score and curiously, an even shorter and more concise album. I did skip "Lapti Nek".

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The ESB 2LP program is great and I'm excited it's coming out in digital quality soon :up:

I'll have to make a CD-R of it, print out a high quality cover with an artstyle similar to the old Polydor releases of the 80s, and put it on my shelf with my other SW OSTs.

It would require some redesign to accommodate that fat 2-CD case. Plus accurate tracklisting, and barcode to create the illusion of authenticity. And I would be very strict that the design must adhere to the Polydor aesthetics of the 1980s.

Having finally started to play Halo 5, I've had a complete reversal in opinion of the music.  I don't know what the hell I was doing when I listened initially, but I was way wrong in my assessment.  This is very fine music, very fine.  I have to approach the album again obviously.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory

Home Alone by John Williams

Star Wars the Force Awakens by John Williams

The 33 by James Horner

Mr. Holmes by Carter Burwell

The Hateful Eight by Ennio Morricone

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Inky, what are your thoughts on The 33?

It is a rather subdued swan song from Horner. Undoubtedly it was the way to go for the film but on the album it takes some listens to really appreciate and to be honest doesn't leave that strong an impression. 3 to 3½ stars.

Interesting.  I've yet to listen to it.... kinda don't want to yet because its his last score.  Almost still can't believe he's gone....

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting.  I've yet to listen to it.... kinda don't want to yet because its his last score.  Almost still can't believe he's gone....

The music is very subdued and small. There is an ethnic Andean folksy element to it that might or might not appeal to everyone and the emotion is carried often by solo ethnic flute or guitar alone. There are some genuinely wonderful small moments hidden in there, solo instrument sections for harp and flutes and even guitar that show why Horner was so respected and knew his stuff when it comes to the scale and requirements of a film and how to communicate emotional narrative through his music. Very familiar and very Horner as his staple instruments (e.g. shakuhachi) and melodic devices appear often enough and he combines these with some synth work in the similar manner as he did in say Avatar. Done with his usual mastery of the craft but doesn't pack a huge punch.

I can't wait to hear the soundtrack album. But since the release is supposed to coincide with DVD/Blu-ray release of the film, it won't happen until late 2016. If we are to believe the film's official website. So we have still one more new James Horner album coming. :) 

Karol