What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Do we know this for sure that it was the last score he recorded? The airplane documentary was supposed to be also getting a soundtrack release.

Karol

Yes, we do.

The airplane documentary was recorded before all his other 2015 scores!!

Just now, Jay said:

Yes, we do.

The airplane documentary was recorded before all his other 2015 scores!!

Out of curiosity, do you know the order in which his last three scores were recorded? 

Karol

I wonder if there is a possibility of his music appearing in Fuqua's The Magnificent Seven. Didn't the director mention something about Horner having already done work for the movie or was he just blowing his involvement out of proportion?

He said Horner sent him a package of sheet music.  But he hasn't shot the film yet, so it must just be a bunch of thematic ideas or something.  I dunno.  It hasn't been recorded yet, and won't be under Horner's baton...

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

He said Horner sent him a package of sheet music.  But he hasn't shot the film yet, so it must just be a bunch of thematic ideas or something.  I dunno.  It hasn't been recorded yet, and won't be under Horner's baton...

Could be "Music composed by NN, themes by James Horner" type of scenario if they choose to retain his ideas in the scoring in the end.

Nohn Nilliams? Nonrad Nope? Nans Nimmer? Nichael Niacchino? Nanny Nelfman?

:music: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Delerue). Brooding, gloomy, but with a touch of bittersweet melancholy. This is how I like my fantasy music. The Intrada album is a revelation.

Karol

Currently listening a quick survey of some memorable Spielberg-Williams collaborations.

- Cinque's Theme (from Amistad)

- Dry Your Tears, Afrika (Reprise) (from Amistad)

- Abandoned in the Woods (from A.I.)

- The Reunion (from A.I.)

- Escape from the City (from War of the Worlds)
- The Reunion (from War of the Worlds)

- Epilogue (from War of the Worlds)

- End Credits (from Munich)
- "Destiny"... "Canneloni"... and the Tale of Viktor Navorski (Reprise) (from The Terminal)
- Prologue (from Hook)
- The Arrival of Tink and the Flight To Neverland (from Hook)

- You are the Pan (from Hook)

- Finale and "Jurassic Park" Theme (from The New World)

- Snowy's Theme (from Tintin)
- Capitain Haddock Takes the Oars (from Tintin)

- The Adventure Continues (from Tintin)

- Resolution & End Titles (from CE3K, Audio Fidelity SACD)

- Exultate Justi (from Empire of the Sun)
- Main Title (from Jaws)

- Out to sea (from Jaws)
- One Barrel Chase (from Jaws)
- The People's House (from Lincoln)

- The American Process (from Lincoln)

- "With Malice Toward None" (Piano Solo) (from Lincoln)

- Remembering Emile and Finale (from War Horse)

- The Homecoming (from War Horse)

- Sean and Lara (from Minority Report)

- A New Beginning (from Minority Report)

- End Credits (Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom)
- Catch Me If You Can (Reprise) (from Catch Me If You Can)

- Theme from Jurassic Park (from Jurassic Park OST)
- Abandoned and Pursued (from E.T. OST)
- E.T. and Me (from E.T. OST)

- E.T.'s Halloween (from E.T. OST)

- Flying (from E.T. OST)

- Over the Moon (from E.T. OST)

- Raiders March (from Raiders of the Lost Ark)

- Finale & End Credits (Indiana Jones & Last Crusade)
- Remembrances (from Schindler's List)

- Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise) (from Schindler's List)

- Hymn to the Fallen (Reprise) (from Saving Private Ryan)

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Nohn Nilliams? Nonrad Nope? Nans Nimmer? Nichael Niacchino? Nanny Nelfman?

Oh very clever Karol, very clever. :P 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I thought Fuqua said that Horner already scored the entire film for free and he was very honored and humbled by it. I'm sure his music will be used. 

Yes but he hadn't filmed the movie yet so its not like the score can be timed to the cut of the film.  There will have to be some reworking, unless he wants to record whatever he sent and chop it all up and move it around to fit the final cut of the film

Southpaw.jpg?height=400&width=400

SOUTHPAW - James Horner

While Horner's musical core strength certainly was more baroque than minimal he didn't shy away from such assignments (ah, the life of a film music provider) with, bless him, mixed results. Drowsy piano noodlings and motionless chords appropriate for week-long meditation retreats are not everyone's idea of a good musical time but after spinning his pen-ultimate score a bit over the autumn i gained at least a slight appreciation. 

Leaving the heavy Harry Gregson-Williams vibe aside he manages a finely calibrated portrait of a halting, slightly depressive state of mind, made bearable by the dreamy textures and the occasional bit of light at tunnel's end. There is little thematic variation - a mousy 4-note theme runs through it - but Horner injects just about enough textural stuff that makes certain cues come to life (though it develops very little): the cues 'A More Normal Life', 'The Funeral Alone', 'Empty Showers' and 'A Long Road Back' cue you into the good stuff the score has to offer, the long finale cue 'Hope Vs. Escobar', the worst (it denies any musical form, stitched together with artless tempo changes).

It is a twin brother to that other underdog of Horner's later years, 'The Chumscrubber', though that offers at least a droll steal of a Shostakovich Suite No. 2 for jazz orchestra. So, if you are into more subtle electronic things (or just have tired of the TFA furiosos after two weeks of straight listening) you might give it a try.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes but he hadn't filmed the movie yet so its not like the score can be timed to the cut of the film.  There will have to be some reworking, unless he wants to record whatever he sent and chop it all up and move it around to fit the final cut of the film

Happens all the time. 

It can work sure. Morricone wrote much of Once Upon A Time In The West before the movie was shot. Williams did the same for JFK. But is is absolutely not a regular thing to do in film scoring. I don't know why Koray would think that.

Sure, but the actual scoring of the film doesnt start after seeing a rough cut and spotting with the director, right?

There's a difference between jotting down some ideas and concepts and actually scoring a scene.

Well we really don't know just how much work was done, but I get the feeling from Fuqua's comments that almost an entire score was written. As is often the case with these situations, the director edits the film based on the music available, not the other way around. It wouldn't be difficult to get a conductor and orchestra to record the music.

Nolan works this way with Zimmer, as did Leone with Morricone.

Especially since the movie still hasn't even been filmed!

EDIT: It looks like they began filming in May, 2015.  Horner died on August 4th.

Film opens September 2016.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

"I just found out a couple days ago his team flew out here to Baton Rouge, and they brought me all the music from Magnificent Seven," Fuqua said. "He had already wrote it for me based on the script."

The question is whether "all the music from..." means a whole score or just everything he had written up to that point.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Is it any good?  I've heard amazing things about it but I'm hesitant after the dull Anna & the King received similar praise.  

It's an ambitious grand orchestral score. The album arrangement is modeled after The Planets for whatever reason so it doesn't necessarily represent film narrative. It plays out more like a concert piece, to be honest. The music itself is well written. But Christopher Young you either buy, or you don't. I find his bigger scores to be interesting, but difficult to get into. It might require more time. My advice is to sample it first.

Karol

13 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Having finally started to play Halo 5, I've had a complete reversal in opinion of the music.  I don't know what the hell I was doing when I listened initially, but I was way wrong in my assessment.  This is very fine music, very fine.  I have to approach the album again obviously.

I'm listening to the album.  What the bloody shit was I listening to the first time?  I just can't believe how much I underestimated this one.

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

I listened to the recording sessions leak edited into an album style assembly.  Gosh, what a fantastic score.  It has everything you want from a Williams score, from the rich memorable themes to the action music to the traveling music to the sense of wonder and exploration to the sense of dread and darkness to the emotional heart tuggers.  These scores deserve a proper expansion program like the Spielber/Williams collaborations have been getting!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

The recording sessions leak.  This score had dead spots where it rehashes whole bits from the first score, but if you take away those there's so much FANTASTIC stuff here!  It's as good of a sequel score as his other brilliant sequel scores like Empire, TOD, etc without those.  The new themes are all really extra fantastic and superbly integrated into the score when used (my favorite moments in the score are when the underscore uses the Chamber theme).  The biggest problem is that damn Stones theme from the first theme returning at all, and being repurposed as a Chamber theme.  How I wish Williams had time to rewrite all the cues that used the Stones theme to use the Chamber theme instead.  I think the OST album, as great as it is, doesn't do the best job at showcasing everything new the score has to offer, because it for some reason includes a lot of the repeated material from the first film and doesn't include any of the great moments of actually using the Chamber theme in the score.  Someday I will try creating my own alternate 75 minute album that showcasing the right highlights of the score without repeating any Sorceror's Stone stuff!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

A complete edit cobbled together from the OST and DVD rips.  I've always loved this score, but don't consider it as important as HPSS.  But man, its still great.  Listening to this I heard a few must-have moments that should have been on the OST (Hedwig's Theme / Window to the Past combo season transition, Sirius' Rescue, start of the end credits) but this isn't a score where I love every minute like the first two.  Still a highly desired session leak or expansion.  Williams clearly had a lot of fun with this one!

HPCOS is amazing and performed to perfection by the LSO. 

I think people get turned off by the amount of repeated material on its OST.  A better album could have been crafted that had no repeated material at all and more of the cool new music written.

BOY ON A DOLPHIN - Hugo Friedhofer

Whoever else got the hots for the luscious JAWS 2 take on underwater music will feel right at home in Friedhofer's score for another Fox Cinemascope improbability. The orchestration should be taught in classes - that is, if you can get past the title song crooned in the droopy style of an aging female impersonator.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Georges Delerue. This is great, reminds me of Citizen Kane, of all things. I can't really stand sugary Tchaikovsky-like fantasy music anymore. I like my fairy tales dark, this is what gives them magic and depth (like Legend, Return to Oz, The Secret of NIMH, Auric's Beauty and the Beast, or Howard Shore's Middle-earth music).

Something Wicked This Way Comes by James Horner. I wish they re-released this one, had this album in my album once at my local HMV (strange, I know). But didn't buy it cause it was really expensive. But it's a score I'd like to have in my collection.

Karol