What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 3:07 PM, Stefancos said:

I could never get into the second score. But 1 and 3 are great!

all three are great. I listen to Chamber more than any of the other two because of Chamber and Fawkes, Dobby and Lockhart themes.

I've been geeking out  between the Star Wars and HP.

I've listened  a lot to the original Star Wars cd set. It's my oldest soundtrack cd from the original 2 record album since I couldn't listen to TFA while it waited under the tree.

All three of Williams' Potter scores are top drawer IMO.

This probably isn't news for many people, but as an aside for anyone who listens to bootlegs, there's a really, really good and properly mastered boot for each of the first two scores out there that I wholeheartedly recommend seeking out, at least until we're able to buy officially licensed expansions from one of the labels. These are among those rare scores that really are brilliant all the way through.

The Revenant (Sakamoto/Nicolai) - Interesting stuff.  I'm not sure I've ever heard a score that so embodies the desolation of a winter in the Old West.  It's ghostly, ethereal music to the point that "The Revenant" would be an equally fitting title even if the score was instead a concert piece.

Frida (Goldenthal) - Meh.  How did this win an Oscar in such a strong year?  I mean, it's not a bad score, just not very interesting, and "interesting" is something I figured I could always count on with Goldenthal.

Just now, Gnome in Plaid said:

Frida (Goldenthal) - Meh.  How did this win an Oscar in such a strong year?  I mean, it's not a bad score, just not very interesting, and "interesting" is something I figured I could always count on with Goldenthal.

:up:

ONLY YOU - Rachel Portman

Enchanting schmaltz from the Barry/Puccini school of starry-eyed romanticism and it seems to have sprung straight from the autograph book of a love-crushed 15-year old wench. Play it on your wedding reception. It's fail-safe.

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Is The Patriot a score you have been able to listen to more than other JW scores?  I like it alright, but it's definitely one I tired of quickly.

It's probably my personal (!) favorite Williams score.  It's not even close to being his best written but it has great (if derivative) themes, nice variety in terms of musical color, and a wonderful emotional drive.

True, I haven't compared it to the film ever, but, on album, it does have a great arc to it.  I love the hard-earned satisfaction and contentment of "Susan Speaks" which leads into the traumatic "Martin vs. Tavington" and then finally into the remorseful but victorious "Yorktown and the Return Home."

Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith (Quartet Records release): This is one of those Jerrald soundtracks I have listened to only a few times in the past but now that I finally got the score on the new Quartet album I can say what most people have been saying for a long time: it is one wicked action score. The liner notes actually gave some interesting musical pointers on the architecture of the score which made me enjoy it all the more. Also the story of Graunke Orchestra members coming to actually apologize at the initial sessions for their lack of skill was kind of embarrasing and sad at the same time. I am so glad Verhoeven understood the problem and didn't waste more time than was necessary and relocated the sessions to London. The musicianship of the London orchestra speaks loud and clear on these discs. Fantastic stuff all around.

Fantasic album, this one. I wonder, though, whether the small artifacts heard in The Mountain originate from recording or mixing?

I myself listened to Desplat's Godzilla yesterday (and repeatedly to my favourite cue):

As well as Pierre Adenot's Beauty and the Beast:

Karol

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

The liner notes actually gave some interesting musical pointers on the architecture of the score which made me enjoy it all the more.

Also the story of Graunke Orchestra members coming to actually apologize at the initial sessions for their lack of skill was kind of embarrasing and sad at the same time.

Gotta love those little sonar pings and hollow swooshes that tip you off about the ambiguities of the frame story.

As for orchestral apologies, imagine what Goldsmith must have gotten for those RAMBO III recording. Several vineyards and a lifelong stock of hungarian salami, at the very least.

On 02/01/2016 at 8:41 AM, publicist said:

ONLY YOU - Rachel Portman

Enchanting schmaltz from the Barry/Puccini school of starry-eyed romanticism and it seems to have sprung straight from the autograph book of a love-crushed 15-year old wench. Play it on your wedding reception. It's fail-safe.

This is pleasant enough

original Empire Strikes Back

says something that after many listens the soundtrack, specifically that covering the scenes on Cloud City to the conclusion, excite and thrill as they did the first time as a kid listening to my Dad's cassette from 1980.

On 02/01/2016 at 5:09 PM, publicist said:

MI0000157486.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Just stumbled over the complete SPHERE sessions by Goldenthal and can only say it's a marvel. Hope it gets a legit release soon.

Is this anything like his Final Fantasy music? 

Is there anyone who can write ethereal sci-fi music better then Goldenthal? 

It's more Herrmannesque than Wagnerian but all the better for it (it is a magnificent dead ringer for 'Journey to the Center of Earth' in spots). Shave off 40 minutes of dead wood and you're left with one of the best sci-fi scores of the 90's, a good 70 minutes that help explain why Goldenthal has quit big pictures: what's the use? But with all those textures and layers there's much to take into, even if it lacks the kind of gung-ho themes many need to hang on. 

As far as I am concerned, Goldenthal is the only composer capable of rivaling Williams in his intelligent use of the orchestra, but it's hard for me to put him on the same pedestal when his film work is so scarce. :(

Williams sadly seldom attempts such impressionistic, or even abstract approaches (if only Spielberg would leave the history lessons and Indy-sequels). It's more Goldsmith/Herrmann turf, but that's also genre-related. 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is this anything like his Final Fantasy music? 

Is there anyone who can write ethereal sci-fi music better then Goldenthal? 

It's a fantastic score, and his Final Fantasy score borrows from it here and there as well.

The Revenant: The search is over. I've finally found the right artists for he music score of Blade Runner 2. How do I get in contact with Denis Villeneuve?

TheRevenant_Cover_900px_zpsgtep7nuj.jpg

Alex

I am surprised it was able to be your favorite up to this point with such an unsatisfactory release.

Final Fantasy, on the other hand, has long been my favorite Goldenthal.

I had stayed away from Batman Forever for a long time, as I had heard some very negative things about it and had a bad association with an atrocious film, but I finally checked it out when the expanded release came out.  I was shocked out how brilliant and creative it was.  It's one of the best superhero scores, as far as I am concerned.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Revenant: The search is over. I've finally found the right artists for he music score of Blade Runner 2. How do I get in contact with Denis Villeneuve?

TheRevenant_Cover_900px_zpsgtep7nuj.jpg

Alex

My third favorite of the year, and the higher two are really only there because of the composers involved... this one is more of an example of what I love about "current" cinematic music.  The film is exquisite too. 

Can't wait to see the film

The score didn't wow me on first listen on Spotify, but I'll give it another chance after I see the movie

The trailer was fantastic. I loved the use of Adams' music.

I'll be checking out Sakamoto's score tonight. Really looking forward to it!

Yes, I remember the trailer made me want to see the movie. 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

My third favorite of the year, and the higher two are really only there because of the composers involved... this one is more of an example of what I love about "current" cinematic music.  The film is exquisite too. 

Sakamoto and Alva Noto are making ambient albums for a while now. To be honest, I never saw it as cinematic but I can see this score work very well. For BR2 it needs to be a little more melodic though ... but that particular tone of sad lyricism is already present.

Alex 

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, I remember the trailer made me want to see the movie. 

Sakamoto and Alva Noto are making ambient albums for a while now. To be honest, I never saw it as cinematic but I can see this score work very well. For BR2 it needs to be a little more melodic though ... but that particular tone of sad lyricism is already present.

Alex 

Interesting that you don't see it as cinematic.  I know people are often confounded by the fact that I like this sort of music (while also liking stuff like Williams) so maybe this is an opportunity to try explaining the appeal of ambient/minimal type scoring while elucidating to you why it is quite cinematic to me.  Alas, time is short right now.