What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

The Fury is good, but like the same year's Jaws 2, it feels more like a "bonus" Williams score than anything substantial.  

It's rare, almost exclusive to Goldsmith, that I maintain any lasting interest in a score without having enjoyed the corresponding film.  There's a pretty hefty list of Williams-scored films that fail to compel me in any way, and so I'm left with interesting music that doesn't really mean anything to me.  The Fury is, I know, liked by many, but it's just another of those barren patches.  Jaws 2, well, that's as unnecessary a "bonus" as the film. 

18 minutes ago, KK. said:

Now now Inky, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there! ;)

Ruffle away KK. Might do me some good.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

John Williams on autopilot with a dash of Hermann pastiche.   

One of the most rapid realizations that a score was not for me, it took seconds.  That theme is a hefty dose of ponderous. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

One of the most rapid realizations that a score was not for me, it took seconds.  That theme is a hefty dose of ponderous. 

Oh I just love that ponderousness of it. That is what makes it so wonderful in my book. It takes itself way too seriously (for a film of that sort) which is where its fun lies.

8 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's rare, almost exclusive to Goldsmith, that I maintain any lasting interest in a score without having enjoyed the corresponding film.  There's a pretty hefty list of Williams-scored films that fail to compel me in any way, and so I'm left with interesting music that doesn't really mean anything to me.  The Fury is, I know, liked by many, but it's just another of those barren patches.  Jaws 2, well, that's as unnecessary a "bonus" as the film. 

Because it's too scene-specific? As i see it, it's one of the few movies that allowed JW to go beyond the call of duty (there is a 5-minute sequence that is entirely devoted and edited around his score). The theme is of course ponderous (De Palma always is!) but with the calliope and all this delicious darkness (and the added bonus of the concert end credits cue) it is may favourite late 70's entry with 'Dracula'.

10 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I prefer Fury Road. 

I'd take even the least inspired Williams scores over that!

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

it is may favourite late 70's entry with 'Dracula'.

Apart from the awesome title theme, that's another Williams score with relatively anonymous surrounding material.  I don't think I'm a big fan of his 1978-1979 period to be honest.  

52 minutes ago, KK. said:

TFA is definitely the stronger score. Just not quite the holy nectar of the gods that its reputed to be.

I don't think many are really calling it that though. It's a solid Star Wars score with about 5 really fabulous cues buried in there which are thankfully much more accessible on the album. Compared to 99% of what comes out these days, it is like a gift from God. John Williams. People like me are that sick of all the bland crap that comes out nowadays that we are quick to sing and bang on about it whenever an actual quality score in the style of yesteryear surfaces which reminds us why we love film music in the first place. 

The "I don't get the fawning love" comments are stupid. 

40 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I don't think many are really calling it that though. It's a solid Star Wars score with about 5 really fabulous cues buried in there which are thankfully much more accessible on the album. Compared to 99% of what comes out these days, it is like a gift from God. John Williams. People like me are that sick of all the bland crap that comes out nowadays that we are quick to sing and bang on about it whenever an actual quality score in the style of yesteryear surfaces which reminds us why we love film music in the first place. 

The "I don't get the fawning love" comments are stupid. 

I don't know Lee. The last month or so has basically been a barrage of threads about how TFA could be JW's greatest score, or Rey's Theme could be his greatest theme, etc etc. I guess its those kind of frenzied statements that occasionally makes me question why this score is getting so much more love than some other equally well written scores by the maestro himself. Scores that don't get as much attention around here. But of course, I largely already know the answer to that. Its as you say, well-written old school symphonic music in a era that's lacking that, and when tied together with Star Wars and a starved JWFan niche, overenthusiasm is to be expected.

TFA was indeed 2015's strongest score, and it deserves love. But I think its silly to deny that there haven't been some exaggerated testimonials made here. That's all that I find amusing. Other than that, I'm all for celebrating work of this caliber, especially in this day and age!

I'm mocking nobody. I have read through those threads. And I've seen numerous posts ranking the score (and themes) a lot higher than I would have expected against a list of incredibly strong works. A part of me thinks its a knee-jerk reaction and that this score might be re-evaluated in years to come.

Yes, but how is that different from any John Williams score that has been released since this site was created?

I realize you have only experienced a rare few new John Williams releases here. But this is kind of what we do.

Personally I believe TFA will remain firmly in the position I placed it. Best Williams score since 2001.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Publicist and Incanus, divided and reunited in under a page.  

High drama at JWFan. Pub and Inky reunited by a common enemy, the absolutely obvious wrong opinion!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, but how is that different from any John Williams score that has been released since this site was created?

I realize you have only experienced a rare few new John Williams releases here. But this is kind of what we do.

You, of all people, claim that? You personally do not seem to be activated by anything but his fantasy scores.

Erm, I thought this is the ‘What is the Last Score You Listened to’ thread, not the 'random bickering' about Williams scores thread :D I’m relatively new here, I don’t know if this is something that happens often in here, so for now, I’m gonna ignore it :D

I’ve just listened to Mulan by the great (and unfortunately late :( ) Jerry Goldsmith. As a child, Mulan was one of my favourite cartoon (and still is), I loved the message that it sent to young girls, the overall art style, and of course the music. It’s so nice to listen to it again (and again), I love the main theme, and I love the overall orchestration and atmosphere of the score. And yes, I'm a bit biased by nostalgia :D

I even loved Mushu, he was dubbed by the guy who always does Jim Carrey, and he has a great voice for cartoon comic relief characters. As a child without internet, and even without DVDs back then, there was absolutely no way to watch movies in English that they had already dubbed, the first movie I’ve seen with subtitles was DragonHeart when I was 8, and I was instantly mesmerized by the voice of Sean Connery.

34 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong. Of his more recent work I like The Terminal and Memoirs far more then Indy 4 or ROTS.

Since i am not privy to your inner workings in can only go by what you post in which quantity and that sure is heavily leaning towards Tintin/SW stuff.

Inner Workings is a great track!

But the point is that JWFan goes a bit mad when there's a new Williams score. Even something as relatively stale as The Book Thief was lavished with attention here for a little while, but eveb now barely discussed.

Yes big franchise stuff gets more attention. But point out the post where I gush over Indy 4? 

5 hours ago, KK. said:

I don't know Lee. The last month or so has basically been a barrage of threads about how TFA could be JW's greatest score, or Rey's Theme could be his greatest theme, etc etc.

These claims are stupid as well.

I haven't seen the statements which claim it to possibly be "his best score ever" so I'll have to take your word for it, but Blume's thread for Rey's Theme was purposefully hyperbolic I assumed (for effect). No it isn't Williams' best theme ever, as it happens. But the discussion it has spurned is at least better than the snoreful shite which has been happening in Tolkiensville for the last 3 years. 

Should we fuck need to justify why some of us are quite excited and talkative about some smashing new John Williams cues. This shouldn't even be a part of the conversation here. 

This forum has gone to shit if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

This forum has gone to shit if you ask me. 

You've been claiming that for a few years now though. Yet you keep posting.

Perhaps the problem is you rather then JWFan. I certainly don't see a huge difference in the forum over the last, i dunno...5 years?

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You've been claiming that for a few years now though. Yet you keep posting.

Perhaps the problem is you rather then JWFan. I certainly don't see a huge difference in the forum over the last, i dunno...5 years?

You're an unchanging part of the furniture here though aren't you.  

I also think you misinterpreted my post. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Should we fuck need to justify why some of us are quite excited and talkative about some smashing new John Williams cues. This shouldn't even be a part of the conversation here. 

Ahh, the Propagandaminister himself at work again!

I may remind all of those concerned here that even the mere mention of a lukewarm personal reaction to the musical shape of the latter half of TFA's OST cues that didn't ask for any retort or - god forbid - justification by anyone immediately got the bloodthirsty foot soldiers out of the foxhole.

It's no serious matter, i know, and all the usual blabla but i would hope that some of this quantifiable energy would find its way into more and more engaging musical discussions in this very thread, especially since this board is about film music and too many content now - Quintie is half-right here - is squandered on the size of fridge stickers for the new Wonderwoman franchise and similar music fringe-at-best topics.

I mean now that TFA has truly moved past its expiry date, discussionwise, why aren't there more people here talking about, i. e. Tadlow's S&G or Blue Max recordings? It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one besides Incy and me? Seriously?

Maybe because it's called JWFan.com? The JW indicating John Williams?

Perhaps you would be more happy on FSM?

Also scores like The Blue Max are old, really old. Released multiple times throughout the years. So even a rerecording isnt gonna get the level of discussion that a new score gets.

I mean, TFA is really entertaining and it was great to hear new John Williams after mostly disappointing recent fantasy/action/adventure scores like KOTCS and Tintin, even if TFA was mostly familiar territory. It is not, however, a great score.

Anyway, Batman Returns complete score. My God, Elfman did everything right with this one. I miss him. It's hard to believe these days he's the same guy that composed this stuff. He sent out all the signals. And I don't think I like him anymore.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

TFA is a great score.

I would agree with that. Not as great as some of the "golden years" stuff, but TFA is one of the finest scores ever composed by an 80+ year old.

Such dexterity coming from the mind of someone at an age where most people are sat in front of a TV in an old folks home, being fed through a tube!

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe because it's called JWFan.com? The JW indicating John Williams?

Ahh...that's why he has been moved to a much less frequented section? 

Anyway, it was an example. And it wasn't directed to you.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Ahh...that's why he has been moved to a much less frequented section? 

That is something I will never understand myself!

Possibly the worst decision ever made on JWFan, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I mean now that TFA has truly moved past its expiry date, discussionwise, why aren't there more people here talking about, i. e. Tadlow's S&G or Blue Max recordings? It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one besides Incy and me? Seriously?

Patience! I just put in my order a day or two ago!!

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

TFA, like Lincoln, is a crystalline example of a master working at the height of his powers and experience, on material that he is clearly invested in.  It is, again, like Lincoln, at times staggeringly impressive in its sheer rightness.  There isn't a wasted note or a dramatic misstep, which is maybe why some found it underwhelming.  No, I don't think hindsight will see this score reevaluated as lesser than the initial hype suggested.  It'll be precisely the opposite that comes to pass.

I love you!

I didn't get a chance to listen to The Blue Max in its entirety yesterday. just got to it now. It's probably more impressive on this recording cause it gives Goldsmith's youthful writing enough punch to impress modern listener. It's a weird blend of Golden and Silver Age that shows a promise of great things to follow. Goldsmith was clearly a hungry and eager while working on this. And I do like the suite section, even if the selection is a bit of a head-scratcher. Still, it's a nice distilled version of The Mummy is actually quite nice. Not the biggest fan of The Final Conflict section, though.

Karol - who finds it strange to hear Inchon music in good sound quality.