What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Excellent choice!

Strangely, that's a work that was not recorded a lot.. and that never made any John Williams compilation so far.

p_sk89364.jpg

American Journey / Williams (2002, Sony Classical, SK 89364)

John Williams: Call Of The Champions (The Official Theme Of The 2002 Olympic Winter Games); American Journey; Song For World Peace; Jubilee 350; For New York (Variations On Themes Of Leonard Bernstein); Sound The Bells!; Hymn To New England; Celebrate Discovery; Summon The Heroes (Written For The Centennial Celebration Of The Modern Olympic Games, Atlanta, Georgia, July 19, 1996).

p_8573405.jpg

Air Force Blue / Lang, U.S. Air Force Band, U.S. Air Force Singing Sergeants (2015, Naxos, 8573405)

John Williams: Call of the Champions.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I was actually referring to the CD, not the track.

In Europe the CD was released under the name Call Of The Champions rather then The American Journey.

image.jpeg

It's "American Journey", there is no "The". :sarcasm:

Presumed Innocent by John Williams

The Good German by Thomas Newman

Drag Me to Hell by Christopher Young

Les Misérables by Basil Poledouris

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes by Miklós Rózsa

:music: Lost in Space by Bruce Broughton. Isn't it weird that this 2.5 week rush job is my favourite score of this composer? For whatever reason, it speaks (sings, even) to me the most out of all his works.

It could be fun if Disney hired Broughton to do one of those several Star Wars spin-offs at some point. Him, and Edward Shearmur.

Karol

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Lost in Space by Bruce Broughton. Isn't it weird that this 2.5 week rush job is my favourite score of this composer? For whatever reason, it speaks (sings, even) to me the most out of all his works.

Oh its easily my favorite Broughton score

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh its easily my favorite Broughton score

A lot of composers have done some of their best works in rushed replacement scores: Shore's Edge of Darkness, Kamen's What Dreams May Come, Goldsmith's Air Force One, Glass' The Hours...  As for Broughton, I don't think you can top Homeward Bound, especially in expanded form.

Interstellar

One of Zimmers finest. A beautifully crafted symphony of atmosphere. Where the usual Zimmer draw backs (thin orchestrations, lack of variety in its thematic statements etc) almost help the score become a bit better.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Harry Gregson-Williams' The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe score just to make sure I still can't stand it.

Edgy!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Interstellar

One of Zimmers finest. A beautifully crafted symphony of atmosphere. Where the usual Zimmer draw backs (thin orchestrations, lack of variety in its thematic statements etc) almost help the score become a bit better.

That guy is a hack, can't compose good orchestra songs at all. BRRRRRAAAAAMMMMM lol lol 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That guy is a hack, can't compose good orchestra songs at all. BRRRRRAAAAAMMMMM lol lol 

Tru dat!

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Goldfinger
Thunderball
Moonraker
The Living Daylights - John Barry

Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold

On 3/12/2016 at 8:05 PM, Gnome in Plaid said:

the return of A Hobbit's Understanding in "Samwise the Brave."

Timestamp?

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

Timestamp?

0:58-1:27

Unless you're referring to the Korra piece, in which I simply meant that "The Greatest Change" qualitatively reminds me of "Samwise the Brave" when the two main themes from ATLA ("Old Soul" and "Aang's Theme") return.

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

There's room in the world for multiple geniuses!

NO! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Star Wars The Force Awakens by John Williams

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well yes I love it!

Where is the poetry?! Why have we not moved to the next page by the length of your post?? Where is the Inky I once knew???

3 hours ago, KK. said:

Where is the poetry?! Why have we not moved to the next page by the length of your post?? Where is the Inky I once knew???

Well I wrote my review back in December 2015. It was lengthy enough I think. I might endeavour to write something of lengthier nature in the future after buying the film and really familiarizing myself with the music as heard in the movie.

Titus by Elliot Goldenthal: Since I already listened to Michael Collins I thought what the heck, Titus is next. The composer says in the liner notes that in Rome you can embrance eons and it is exactly what he does on his soundtrack which is eclectic but such a damn fine display of his skills. He works as the unifying voice for the strange big band and jazz, classical orchestral writing, acid trippy techno-ish concoctions and massive Gothic chanting and ghostly rumbling choral outbursts that finally climax in the elegiac Finale that seems to be one of those seminal Goldenthal ideas he reprises in one form or another in many of his scores almost in calling card fashion. I remember taking a chance with this album when I bought it on a whim but it certainly paid off.