What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah it's the original take on the scene where Indy and dad escape from the Nazi plane. The actual Father/Son theme is left by the wayside in the film and is a tad maudling I have to agree and the Grail Knight and Grail themes better cover their relationship. Easily the most forgettable of the themes in the score.

"Nazi plane"? Do you mean the bit where SC says "I suddenly remembered my (Kid) Charlemagne"?

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Nazi plane"? Do you mean the bit where SC says "I suddenly remembered my (Kid) Charlemagne"?

Yeah. Isn't that a Nazi pilot chasing them in his plane?

Well, since the chase starts out over The Alps, and ends up in Spain, it's really anyone's guess! :D Somehow, I can't imagine "KUWTJ's" played out over that sequence, but then again, I can't imagine life without Kung Po chicken, so, go figure.

Batman vs. Superman - Hans Zimmer/Junkie XL

Uneven is too kind a word for this: within a morass of amorphous muddles there are little red flags of interest (prepared piano in 'The Red Capes are Coming', the Goldenthalian e-guitar alarms of 'Is She with You', the sardonic violin scratches in 'Men are still Good') but then there are still a triple number of dire cues where even the slightest chord change over the course of 4 minutes begs for attention as if it were a great accomplishment. Finally you ask yourself: who compiles these kind of 2-disc albums and for whom...?

Critical Mass - Clint Mansell

Whatever this is, its airy floating sound world sees Mansell in his element, again (after the dreadful 'Noah'). It's comparable to Thomas Newman's better, more thematic works and counts as nice spring surprise in my little book of soundtrack-fandom.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Well, since the chase starts out over The Alps, and ends up in Spain, it's really anyone's guess! :D Somehow, I can't imagine "KUWTJ's" played out over that sequence, but then again, I can't imagine life without Kung Po chicken, so, go figure.

It's the Nazis, it's always the Nazis. And the cue was clearly meant to underscore that chase in some form as you can hear the ending in the film after the revised chase music as the film transitions to Hatay.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

It's the Nazis, it's always the Nazis. And the cue was clearly meant to underscore that chase in some form as you can hear the ending in the film after the revised chase music as the film transitions to Hatay.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

If it was meant to underscore that sequence, then I'm glad they left it unscored.

Let's not confuse Nazis, with ordinary Germans who got caught in the conflict. Didn't SS say that he didn't like the way he turned the Nazis into an object of fun?

However, and for the benefit of the film, they are, in fact, boo-hiss Nazis.

In hindsight that wasn't the best abbreviation was it.

And I doubt it was a random pilot who just decided to follow Indy and his dad. It was probably a Nazi plane sent by colonel Vogel to stop the Joneses.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes! And a great thoughtful superhero score to boot!

Julius Caesar by Miklós Rózsa: This is one classy score, where I more often than not forget that this is not one of the Hollywood epics but rather a take on the Shakespeare's play. Here the composer manages with his usual panache capture his brand of Roman splendour and pomp with elegant dramatic writing for long speeches from the play that both brood and yearn with equal fervour. Caesar's pompous march tune is ever contrasted with Brutus's haunted mournful theme that forms the heart of the work. The music includes a choral interlude, soprano soloist moment and finely crafted small touches like the brass calls echoing from three sides of the orchestra for the battles depicted on-screen. All culminates in the fantastic Caesar, Now Be Still where Rózsa effortlessly combines the themes of slain Caesar and Brutus in a lengthy development that draws the score to a magnificent cathartic finale. While not quite of the scope of his grand epics this remains one of my favourite Rózsa scores that in little under an hour of running time exhibits all his best qualities.

One of my favorite Rozsas, superbly intelligent score, full of subtext. In a way, I view Nixon as being in the same vein as this one. Does it make any sense?

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Batman vs. Superman - Hans Zimmer/Junkie XL

Uneven is too kind a word for this: within a morass of amorphous muddles there are little red flags of interest (prepared piano in 'The Red Capes are Coming', the Goldenthalian e-guitar alarms of 'Is She with You', the sardonic violin scratches in 'Men are still Good') but then there are still a triple number of dire cues where even the slightest chord change over the course of 4 minutes begs for attention as if it were a great accomplishment. Finally you ask yourself: who compiles these kind of 2-disc albums and for whom...?

I agree 100% about your highlights, although I also find that trumpet call theme to be interesting. But that Batman theme is simply obnoxious

Listening to Giacchino - Speed Racer right now.  What a wonderful score to a bonkers movie.

It's also proof positive that he knows how to play with a theme and deconstruct it, so it's kind of a bummer that all of the Jurassic World references were pretty much straight Williams quotes.

Batman Returns

My, oh my. How far we have fallen. How did we go from great scores like this and Superman: The Movie to this garbage from Zimmer and Junkie XL?

Standby for Action -a collection of Barry Gray tracks from Four Feathers through to Space 1999

Star Trek Nemesis

mine is a CD I won from Star Trek Monthly back in the day, has slightly different artwork but this aside it's still a good listen, especially after eons without a listen. Personally I tend to prefer the action music, even if for example "Odds and Ends" sounds like the Insurrection music (Drones Attack I believe) but the Scorpion piece is perhaps a favourite. Remember watching Nemesis in the cinema first time round and that scene raised the excitement purely by Goldsmith's music. The emotive music is as good, such as in Repairs.

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Batman Returns

My, oh my. How far we have fallen. How did we go from great scores like this and Superman: The Movie to this garbage from Zimmer and Junkie XL?

This is that "happy, jolly" music Zimmer complained about when he did the promotional rounds for TDK!

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

Listening to Giacchino - Speed Racer right now.  What a wonderful score to a bonkers movie.

It's also proof positive that he knows how to play with a theme and deconstruct it, so it's kind of a bummer that all of the Jurassic World references were pretty much straight Williams quotes.

His best film score!

^ The Danny Elfman Batman Collection

2 hours ago, Drax said:

This is that "happy, jolly" music Zimmer complained about when he did the promotional rounds for TDK!

Fuck him! Where's Keaton with some dynamite when you need him...

1 hour ago, Mr. Big said:

So what should I listen to in honor of my 5,000th post?  

The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Lost by Michael Giacchino: Had a quick listen to a selection from all the seasons of the show. Absolutely some of the best stuff Giacchino has done in terms of thematic writing, interesting orchestrations and overall atmosphere and musical language which really became one of the defining aspects of the show. I need to take a longer concentrated listen to all of the soundtracks again. It has been a while.

Are you now a metaphorical book on the life of Charlton Heston?

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

The Legacy Collection: The Lion King

I had never heard more from this score than the 4 tracks on the OST. This is absolutely terrific score, easily among Zimmer's best. After his (IMHO) underwhelming work in Batman vs Superman, this score really shows how talented Zimmer can be. I had never even realized there was a theme for Hyenas and it can even be heard in King of Pride Rock in the OST