What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

They're not in competition with each other.  Can't enjoy both?

There can be only one!

And for some reason or another I have never been too keen on Debney's score.

5 minutes ago, KK. said:

I can! I was just referring to how overlooked it was at the time.

Gotcha.  The movies were at the opposite ends of the popularity spectrum.  Danna's score is wonderful, though.  Some nice vocal performances as well.  I agree that it's the better score, but Passion does have a few moments worth hearing.

This scene never fails.

The Crucifixion has some glorious moments too.  And all the underscore when Satan is around is very unsettling, some of the rare music that I find genuinely disturbing.

14 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This scene never fails.

The Crucifixion has some glorious moments too.  And all the underscore when Satan is around is very unsettling, some of the rare music that I find genuinely disturbing.

Well God himself helped Debney to compose the score, so...

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:
5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Didn't he mention in some interview how he was wrestling with Satan himself on the parking lot of his studio?

The Phantom Menace (OST)

A fantastic score, but still one of the most frustrating Williams OST's in history.

The music on the CD is all great, all of it. But knowing what was left out is mindboggling sometimes. I would have gladly traded some of the Jar Jar music for at least one rendition of Qui-Gon's theme, and if you have two fantastic renditions of The Force Theme, why not at least include one of them? And why is "The Arrival At Naboo" featured twice? Why was The Flag Parade extended editorially etc etc etc.

Really great score though. I devoured this endlessly in 1999, waiting for months for the film to come out. Playing it over and over while picturing images from the awesome Duel Of The Fates videoclip in my head. Star Wars was coming back and it was going to be EPIC!

But like I said, the score is first rate!

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Dennis the Menace - Jerry Goldsmith

Easily my favorite Goldsmith comedy score.  I liked this movie a little more than I'd care to admit back in the day (I was 6 when it came out).

The film is hilarious. It's like live action Looney Toons. I also really enjoy the score even though the theme is a straight rip from Goldsmith's own Great Train Robbery.

18 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Batman 1989 complete score with Prince songs inserted

Batman 1989 Danny Elfman OST

Batman 1989 Prince OST

I just listened to 'Partyman' yesterday actually.  Great late-80s Prince song (of many great ones) and the highlight of the non-score soundtrack in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm currently bobbing my head along to this classic:

On 25.3.2016 at 9:48 AM, Incanus said:

Restoration by James Newton Howard

It's stylish, isn't it? One of my earliest 'true' JNH's. Even then he was hit/miss and in-between 'Outbreak', 'The Juror' and 'Eye for an Eye' suddenly this one came up.

Michael Nyman - The Claim

Nyman is one of those Leonard-Rosenman-like figures that may infuriate the layman by the outrageous snobbishness he often demonstrates in interviews but when you can write such uniquely romantic music as 'The Claim' you have earned some latitude.

Nyman's brand of british minimalism tends to have an affinity for broad romantic, even heroic gestures and while 'The Claim' is hardly 'Braveheart', the composer must have found something in that spirit there: the barren, wintry (majestic) landscape that the characters inhabit and the regretful past that comes back to haunt them becomes a musical tour de force of that actually defies the term 'minimalism' and even Winterbottom's somewhat remote movie.

The transparent, glassy (no pun intended) string/woodwind-dominated pattern becomes increasingly gripping in the 14-minute succession of 'The Burning' and 'The Snowy Death' - coming to a glorious finish that makes you wonder what a fireworks finale the movie flares off (a guy drowning, if i remember right). 

All things considered Nyman's best film work next to his more esoteric Greenaway stuff and probably the one most film music buffs will respond to, emotionally.

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's stylish, isn't it? One of my earliest 'true' JNH's. Even then he was hit/miss and in-between 'Outbreak', 'The Juror' and 'Eye for an Eye' suddenly this one came up.

Yeah JNH does a fine job navigating the Purcellian atmosphere with his own brand of lyricism and even writing a bit in the same vein himself. Gladly he he decided to go for a bit more modern approach with the dramatic underscore for the most part. One particular passage that sticks to mind is his take on the age old Folias melody in The Fire, which has been employed by countless composers throughout centuries and there is undeniable stately inevitability to it here. Not quite Händel but none the less arresting.

Conan the Barbarian (Tadlow re-recording) by Basil Poledouris

28 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah JNH does a fine job navigating the Purcellian atmosphere with his own brand of lyricism and even writing a bit in the same vein himself. Gladly he he decided to go for a bit more modern approach with the dramatic underscore for the most part. One particular passage that sticks to mind is his take on the age old Folias melody in The Fire, which has been employed by countless composers throughout centuries and there is undeniable stately inevitability to it here. Not quite Händel but none the less arresting.

Of course 'The Fire' (the score's one piece trailer's got to love) but the sweet cantilena that is the love theme is my piece of choice.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Of course 'The Fire' (the score's one piece trailer's got to love) but the sweet cantilena that is the love theme is my piece of choice.

Yeah that is a a sweet one.

1916: The Irish Rebellion by Patrick Cassidy.

It's a score for a three hour documentary produced by RTÉ and Notre Dame (I think BBC were involved too).

Some great melodies in here. Need to live with it a bit more to form an opinion on the whole but in the documentary it was very emotional in places. 

Mise Éire is the obvious highlight. On my phone so I fear in going to mess up the link to Spotify but here it goes: 

is a live version of the Spotify doesn't work. 

Definiteky worth a listen.

The documentary is also very good and well worth a watch if you're interested in modern mosh European history. Narrated by Liam Neeson too! 

:music: High-Rise by Clint Mansell. Next to Moon, it might be my favourite score from this composer. And so far one of the best soundtracks to come out in 2016 (and there were already some strong titles being released). There is definitely more to him than I expected. While Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain might be the most crowd-pleasing titles in his repertoire, this new score proves that he's more versatile and subtle than anticipated. He's most definitely learning and growing. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film as well.

Karol

I happened to throw on some of Titanic, and as always happens, I'm now in a state of moist emotional disarray.  God, yes, it's sappy orchestral pop.  But what's wrong with that?  It makes you bloody well feel, doesn't it?  I feel like Horner is giving me the most friendly, comforting hug ever, from beyond.

In anticipation of 'Executive Decision' i put on this forgotten though vastly more interesting 70's nuclear nightmare Goldsmith score for Burt Lancaster taking a nuke compound to force president Charles Durning to publicly admit some bitter truths about Vietnam : in between 'Islands in the Stream' and 'Cassandra Crossing' it comes in third-best. Jerry sure did a lot more notes back then. All paranoid military Goldsmith regalia is in place.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: High-Rise by Clint Mansell. Next to Moon, it might be my favourite score from this composer. And so far one of the best soundtracks to come out in 2016 (and there were already some strong titles being released). There is definitely more to him than I expected. While Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain might be the most crowd-pleasing titles in his repertoire, this new score proves that he's more versatile and subtle than anticipated. He's most definitely learning and growing. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film as well.

Karol

Skimmed through this. If this is the best of the best of 2016 then I have little hope that the year will be any better then usual recently.

The erosion of a once great niche genre of music continues.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Skimmed through this. If this is the best of the best of 2016 then I have little hope that the year will be any better then usual recently.

The erosion of a once great niche genre of music continues.

Not enough marches and scherzos then?

Karol

You see, I try to enjoy different kinds of film music. I don't treat it as a genre with fixed expectations. I know you don't either. But it's really hard to say what "quality" in this area should mean. If you mean, the orchestral mastery of Williams, Morricone, Goldsmith etc then you're right. Not many people can write that. But Clint Mansell doesn't really come from that crowd. And he was actually more simplistic at the start of his career. His scores to Aronofsky films were really popular but they lack any subtlety or nuance. I think he's learned a lot since those days. Remember that High-Rise as a bizarre "arthouse" film from one of UK's finest current directors. In that light, it's very colourful and musical.

Karol