What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Jerry Goldsmith -The Detective/Von Ryan's Express

Alan Silvestri -Volcano

Barry DeVorzon- The Warriors

John Cacavas- Airport '75

John Barry- Hanover Street, The Black Hole, The Deep, Raise The Titanic

Victor Young- Around the World in 80 Days

long, long week.

The Alamo (Burwell) - A largely overlooked but quite solid score, it's Burwell completely locked in for a surprisingly contemplative score that might be best described as "The Two Towers by way of Morricone."

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: Contains all that is good in the composer with a killer main title theme, which sadly isn't used throughout the score apart from one track.

16 hours ago, Strangways said:

Jerry Goldsmith -The Detective/Von Ryan's Express

Alan Silvestri -Volcano

Barry DeVorzon- The Warriors

John Cacavas- Airport '75

John Barry- Hanover Street, The Black Hole, The Deep, Raise The Titanic

Victor Young- Around the World in 80 Days

long, long week.

Hmm. There's some great stuff, in there. THE WARRIORS is fantastic - as is the film - and any John Cacavas is worth listening to. THE BLACK HOLE is nice, and RAISE THE TITANIC is lush.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: Contains all the is good in the composer with a killer main title theme, which sadly isn't used throughout the score apart from one track.

I've always liken the main title of ANGELS IN AMERICA, to the main title of SIX FEET UNDER - which is, unquestionably, the finest American TV series, this century.

1 hour ago, Fal said:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Quo Vadis

One of those scores is excellent.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: Contains all the is good in the composer with a killer main title theme, which sadly isn't used throughout the score apart from one track.

Perhaps the best existing compendium of the various facets of Newman's unique musical voice.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory

Return to Oz by David Shire

Air Force One by Jerry Goldsmith

Godzilla by David Arnold

Dennis the Menace by Jerry Goldsmith

1 hour ago, Richard said:

RETURN TO OZ. Aahh, that's lovely. While we are on the subject; howazabout complete scores for ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, BOBBY ROSE, THE HINDENBURG, and 2010?

Yes please!

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith

Seven Years In Tibet by John Williams

10 minutes ago, LampPost said:

The Witches of Eastwick (John Williams)

I had forgotten how bizarre and entertaining this score is!

It is rather excellent isn't it. :) 

Jaws 2 (Intrada release) by John Williams

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - Alan Menken

It's a watered down version of the 1991 version, only get it if you enjoyed the film. The new songs don't add anything (even with quality singers like Josh Groban and Celine Dion doing the end credit covers), and the quality of the vocalists is hit-or-miss. Emma Watson sounds better than the clips I've seen, but she lacks the gusto and power Paige O'Hara brought to Belle. Dan Stevens fares a bit better, but neither of them compares to the original voice actors. The trained singers like Luke Evans and Audra McDonald fare a lot better, especially in "Gaston" and "Aria". Even the pop cover of the title song by John Legend and Ariana Grande falls short of the standard set by Peabo and Celine. Menken also liberally reuses his score whenever possible, almost cut-and-paste with newer and inferior arrangements.

Maybe it's because I have fond memories of the 1991 film and my hopes were sky-high at the start. Oh well.

Shipping News by Christopher Young

Her Majesty Mrs. Brown by Stephen Warbeck

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

Rambo First Blood Part 2 by Jerry Goldsmith

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug :music:

Lots more boring filler in this one than its predecessor.  That being said, there's some enjoyment to be found in the Tauriel material and some of the action music.

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies :music:

The end credits song is lovely but the score itself is a chore.  It has the first two scores' unattractive minor motifs and never-ending passages of dull underscore, but lacks their somewhat redeeming highlights.  

I think DOS has a lot of great music and very few filler areas, though my favorite material is the Smaug material and House of Durin material, then the Tauriel stuff.  And The Forest River is one of my favorite action tracks of all time.

With BOFA I love "Fire and Water" as much as anything in AUJ or DOS, its one of my absolute favorite tracks from the entire trilogy, but then yea, after that I'm totally with you, I kind of find the album a "chore" as well.

I dunno man, I love House of Durin but that little ditty for when they find Dwarrowdelf in FOTR is amazing

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (DVD iso score)

Love this freaking score!  And film!

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

This is so much fun, still!

John Williams - Jurassic Park (LLL)

John Williams - The Lost World (LLL)

You know, this 4CD set actually makes a really strong continuous experience.  For this listen I removed the tracks at the end of JP and the first TLW concert arrangement, so right after the JP end credits it went into the Island's Voice, and after Tranquilizer Dart I only had the alt concert arrangement play.  What a spectacular and ferocious 3 hour musical exextravaganza!

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One

Still just doesn't do it for me...

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Chrono Trigger

Epic!

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

LOVE IT

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

Classic!

Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop

Fun!

Return of the King (complete score) :music:

One of the best scores.  I struggle to think of any other with this many standout moments from beginning to end.  That being said, I was disappointed by the set's exclusion of the "true" in-film score, especially in regards to the percussion overlays (the snare drums when Shelob kills Frodo, the Hobbit drumming that plays under the entire Mount Doom finale).  

I listened to the LLL set for The Lost World yesterday and that score has become my favorite JP score.

The LLL Voyager set has also been getting a lot of play time for me...well various selections of it anyway.  Especially the Scorpion, Equinox and Year Of Hell material.

My custom collection for Star Wars Rebels (Kevin Kiner, David Glen Russell, Jared Forman, Matthew St. Laurent & Sean Kiner) - Easily my favourite Star Wars score alongside the Clone Wars.