What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Previn Conducts Korngold

51-DpSQNw-L.jpg

Specifically the Captain Blood suite which is just hitting the spot for me this morning.  Korngold + coffee will put a spring in your step!

I also just listened to the version of Captain Blood from this release:

81frSG0BSsL._SL1200_.jpg

The performance was fine, but the recording was waaaay too "reverby."  Not as pleasant as either Previn or Gerhardt's recordings.

Also nice.

:music: EARTHQUAKE

This is one score where I think that the rerecording is better than what's heard in the film.

CITY THEME...aahhh!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

81frSG0BSsL._SL1200_.jpg

The performance was fine, but the recording was waaaay too "reverby."  Not as pleasant as either Previn or Gerhardt's recordings.

With Scaramouche ever do the fandango?

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Previn Conducts Korngold

51-DpSQNw-L.jpg

Specifically the Captain Blood suite which is just hitting the spot for me this morning.  Korngold + coffee will put a spring in your step!

One could argue that what Previn's recording lacks is coffee. I don't think the slow tempi make it the utter failure that some others claim it to be, but it is a bit problematic for some of the scores more than others, Captain Blood being one of those as far as I recall.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

81frSG0BSsL._SL1200_.jpg

My favourite recording of Captain Blood (although I usually add Gerhardt's sublime Ship in the Night), and I love the acoustics. Recorded at the Jesus Christus Kirche were many of Deutsche Grammophon's 70s Berlin recordings were made as well.

It's a shame nobody ever produced a complete re-recording of Blood. I also adore Scaramouche, which I original knew from this disc, but that is served perfectly well by this extensive suite and I rarely play the full score. Blood, on the other hand, is missing a ton of great material.

And as an aside, both films are in desperate need of a high resolution transfer.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's a shame nobody ever produced a complete re-recording of Blood.

This from the Naxos release liner notes:

Ironically, Korngold was reluctant to take a complete bow for Captain Blood, partially because brief bits of Liszt were employed when time ran short in scoring sessions, plus a couple of engaging cues by Korngold orchestrator Milan Roder. In the end, Korngold insisted he be credited only with musical adaptations, even though he scored nearly the entire film with original music. Such creative integrity would prove rare in this field.

I might understand if the composer was reluctant to claim complete authorship for the score but I don't think it is a good reason not to do the complete restoration of the score now. Few bits of Liszt and Roder aside most of the score is Korngold.

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore

The Departed by Howard Shore

Capricorn One (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

Banner Saga 2 by Austin Wintory

6 minutes ago, Fal said:

Minority Report

I'm currently stuck there, in my chronological listening of my CD collection of JW.

Maybe tomorrow!

I have the CD since few, and I must say... I listened it few times... but still have not assimilated it.

So many music, so little time!

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

This from the Naxos release liner notes:

I might understand if the composer was reluctant to claim complete authorship for the score but I don't think it is a good reason not to do the complete restoration of the score now. Few bits of Liszt and Roder aside most of the score is Korngold.

And also, the whole score is good. I also have to admit that I've never figured out which bits are the Liszt bits.

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently stuck there, in my chronological listening of my CD collection of JW.

Maybe tomorrow!

I have the CD since few, and I must say... I listened it few times... but still have not assimilated it.

So many music, so little time!

Assimilate this!  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Batman Returns

Now, there's a surprise! :lol:

Power Rangers - Brian Tyler

Not sure why I even listened to this, but either way it's dreadful.  Terrible main theme. The most boring mix of synth textures, string ostinati, and processed drums you can imagine for most of the rest.  Even his arrangement of the old 90s TV theme lands with a dull wet thud.

The lights came up after the screening and John had to go walk outside for a bit to collect his thoughts and calm down.  He went back inside and said to Spielberg, "What is this horseshit?  For fuck's sake, Steve!  You need a better composer than me to save this garbage film."  Then Spielberg answered, "I know, but they're all dead!"

A good score all around, though I will specifically point out the uncommonly thoughtful villainous material, something most composers shirk on lately.  The harmonic language here might actually appeal to some of JWFan.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Tom Holkenborg (AKA JunkieXL)

This is an extremely manly score. With cello's groaning like a weightlifter pushing past his limit and percussion as fast paced and loud as my heartbeat after 4 cans of Red Bull!

Simple without becoming simplistic. Holkenborg probably isn't a very accomplished composer and won't soon be asked to score the next Jane Austin adaptation. But you can hear he was into this!

The slower string elegy stuff actually works rather well. Its no Samuel Barber, but there's an earnestness to it. 

Great work out music.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Maybe not, but it's still the single best cue that Elfman has ever composed. Back in June 24th, 1989, the sight of a road-hugging Batmobile, coupled with that choir, was mesmerising. 

Yeah, that scene and accompanying music are absolutely amazing. Even Pauline Kale praised it in her review of Batman.