What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yea, the Contact theme is way better than that Forest Gump theme

Incidentally, the music at 0:00 of that Forest Gump video is just like his theme to The Walk!

So I guess Silvestri had some good ideas for Gump, then made them better for Contact and The Walk!

You know, I really have no idea what to expect from the RPO score.   Can't wait to hear it!

5 hours ago, KK said:

I prefer Contact.

So do I. CONTACT is my favourite Silvestri score.

The change when H. R. Hadden says "not out, but certainly being handed your hat"... stunning!

Ps, THE ABYSS is my second favourite.

The Abyss is amazing.  The Varese Deluxe edition really opened by eyes to how much great music Silvestri wrote for that project (and how much Cameron replaced with droning)

It's a fantastic score, though the expanded version of BTTF2 opened my eyes to the variety in that score too, had much better sound quality too

But yea BTTF is probably the best and most well-rounded BTTF score.

Judge Dredd is a fun action score with a great main theme.  And man, Jerry's trailer cue for that is aces

Drag Me To Hell by Christopher Young

X-Men: The Last Stand by John Powell

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within by Elliot Goldenthal

Blue Velvet from Angelo Badalamenti. More or less channels Hitchcockian Herrmann very well. Score is quite the drastic contrast of the later Twin Peaks; he's a bit of versatile musician really, ain't he. 

20 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

If you don't even consider it a top 10 Williams score, you should be executed by Skeletor.

It's very good, but it's not greatness. 

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Harry Gregson-Williams

Harry Potter and the Phlosophers Stone - John Williams

16 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Sphere (complete score) - Elliot Goldenthal

I've had this one on a lot this week.  It's my favorite Goldenthal, although that's always a tight race.  There are some truly brutal, savage passages in this that other composers tried to tap into in later years.

I also like SHPERE (I even like the film). MANIFEST3, and THE GIFT, are brilliant, but, for me, ALIEN3 is the dog's bollocks!

Moby Dick by Christopher Gordon

The Lion in Winter by Richard Hartley

The Merchant of Venice by Jocelyn Pook

Operation Dumbo Drop - David Newman

In 1994 and 1995, Disney released two live-action children's films starring Danny Glover, Angels in the Outfield and Operation Dumbo Drop, cementing my young admiration for the actor long before I saw his more famous and celebrated roles.  Listening to this score for a film that I haven't seen since the days when I watched the VHS incessantly in the mid-to-late-90s was a real trip down memory lane.  It really is quite good for its kind, even divorced of my nostalgia, entertaining from start to finish.  The main theme is a beast!  It's gotta be one of D. Newman's best, rising well above the morass of other long-forgotten comedy scores.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone by Marcin Przybyłowicz & al.

Hella W. by Panu Aaltio

On 7/15/2017 at 1:36 AM, Richard said:

Brilliant, just brilliant. There's a lot of love for that score, here at JWfan, and long may it continue!

Great mix of electronics and traditional orchestra. For a later Barry score too, there are a decent amount of themes as well. The Mujaheldin theme is excellent, though I would have liked to have seen the Russian sounding Koskov motif develop into a full fledge theme, it's still great. 

Silverado by Bruce Broughton

Nixon by John Williams

How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring OST - Howard Shore

The CR is my preferred version of this score but I love going back to the original soundtrack released in 2001. It's a little heavy on the Ringwraith material in the first half and maybe a little light on History of the Ring but overall I think it might be my favourite OST album of all time. It's sublime and worth owning alongside for the cello line in "The Prophecy" alone. 

The Lord of the Rings the Two Towers OST - Howard Shore

I really like how this album showcases the new material rather than including the popular bits common with the first film. 

The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King OST - Howard Shore

Rather brilliant

Listening to Jaws now. It's by some Williams guy, I think he plays the guitar or something. 

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

All the answers are here:

Nice review. I understand exactly where you're coming from but I have always enjoyed TTT OST. Sure, it's nowhere near the level of FOTR but I enjoy it for what it is. If we didn't have the CRs though....

I definitely agree that theres a better OST presentation to be made from all the available material though. 

Slightly related... while listening to these today it struck me that, occasionally, its nice to listen to the 3 OSTs in under three hours and get a somewhat complete experience in doing so. I prefer the CRs on the whole but sometimes you want something that doesn't take up 11 hours of your life. The problem with the Hobbit releases was the fact that the standard editions were too long. I wish we had nice 70 minute presentations of each of the films. I'm thinking of putting a bit of time into compiling them myself. 

Have you made some yourself?

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep (though they are more like slightly edited down versions of the standard releases than actual 70 minutes long programs. I'll have to rework them to make them shorter. Maybe once the CRs are out? ;)).

Here's the AUJ one (78 minutes long):

And the DOS one (91 minutes long):

And BOFA (95 minutes long. Not entirely satisfied with this one. Didn't put much effort into it (and thus haven't really shortened it that much), but then again I'm not satisfied with how the battle music was presented on the album and you can't really move it around, because all the cues are combined, with almost no clean ending available):

01. Fire And Water

02. Shores Of The Long Lake

03. Beyond Sorrow And Grief (Extended Version)

04. Dragon Sickness

05. The Ruins Of Dale

06. The Gathering Of The Clouds (Extended Version)

07. Mithril

08. Bred For War

09. A Thief In The Night

10. The Clouds Burst

11. Battle For The Mountain

12. War Beasts (= 00:00-02:42 of The Darkest Hour)

13. The Darkest Hour (= 02:42 - End of The Darkest Hour)

14. Sons Of Durin

15. The Fallen

16. Ravenhill (= 00:00-03:31 of Ravenhill + 02:14-End of To The Death (Extended Version).  A really half-arsed transition there).

17. Courage And Wisdom

18. The Return Journey

19. There And Back Again

20. The Last Goodbye

21. Ironfoot (Extended Version)

Thanks! 

I'll have a look at this in more detail in the morning. If I do my own I don't think I'll go to the hassle of editing tracks but I would like to see if I can get them all down to 70-80 minutes each. 

To be consistent with LotR I'd like to include the songs but there's no way I'm putting I See Fire on. 

I might go with the Dwarf Cast singing for AUJ and Last Goodbye for BotFA.

Just go straight to Beyond the Forest for DoS.

Hellraiser by Christopher Young

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore

Bless the Child by Christopher Young

On 7/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Love this one!  

I always find it quite stirring with the main theme and all. Liked the film since I was a kid. Couldn't beat Rod Taylor back in the day.

On 16/07/2017 at 10:19 PM, Strangways said:

David Shire- The Big Bus, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3

Jerry Goldsmith- Players, MacArthur, Rudy

and Russell Garcia's The Time Machine

All fine choices. I'm not sure if David Shire has gotten the recognition that he deserves.

#Six months to live# :lol:

THE TIME MACHINE is a cracking score, from a cracking film.