What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: Die Hard With a Vengeance by Michael Kamen. This militaristic reworking of Ode to Joy, with slight traces of Johnny Comes Marching Home and John McClane's theme, is just brilliant.

And I also very much like this action cue:

Karol

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Still loving this release!

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese DE)

Ditto!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese DE)

Ditto!

:music: Valerian and the City of the Thousand Planets by Alexandre Desplat. CD track order makes more sense musically. Seems like this is the most reasonable way to experience this score. OK I might have been a bit too harsh after my first listen. Funny how re-ordering some tracks can change your perspective (to some extent at least). It's a pretty well written score. Not necessarily a fan of the increased presence of synths as they over-clutter unnecessarily and will almost certainly date this score badly in coming years. While I'm not convinced this is any sort of great opus in composer's repertoire, he certainly knows how to use an orchestra.

Karol - now somewhat glad he forgot to cancel his Amazon order

Quality wise, absolutely, though it's more than the movie would have deserved, but tonally obviously it's a tad different.

I agree that Desplat's use of electronics isn't as smooth as some others' tends to be.  It's akin to what Jerry did, actually, and chances are it will date similarly.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

It'd been years.  Great score.  

Only struck me this listen how similar the opening of "Breaking the Sound Barrier" is to Horner's Rocketeer theme.

Reverse that.

You can say something is similar to something that came after, it's perfectly acceptable.  I wasn't trying to imply any plagiarism.

I'll do it again.

The opening of Kings Row is quite similar to the opening of Star Wars, don't you think?

I only feel it's necessary to do that when I feel there was some blatant stealing going.

Like I'd never say, "Titus is similar to 300."  But when I think a similarity is coincidental, doesn't matter.

:music: Gods of Egypt by Marco Beltrami. Forget Brian Tyler, this is the only worthy modern follow up to Goldsmith/Silvestri series.

And it even has a pretty love theme:

Karol

There are a few worthy moments in this score, it's true, but it doesn't hold together fully for me.  Doesn't help that the film was an atrocious mess.

I like the album because it offers some clear narrative. I can spot several themes and how they interact without even ever attempting to watch the film.

Karol

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

It'd been years.  Great score.  Only struck me this listen how similar the opening of "Breaking the Sound Barrier" is to Horner's Rocketeer theme.

There are a lot of lifts, Kaufman even snuck Mancini's The White Dawn in the actual film in a scene, but I'd say it's less plagiarism and more temp-track / director demand hell, since Kaufman is apparently very difficult for composers to work with, especially since he isn't very specific about what he wants, it's why John Barry left the film.

But lifts or no lifts, it's a great score. That main theme is so damn siring, patriotic sounding, and appropriate. 

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Gods of Egypt by Marco Beltrami. Forget Brian Tyler, this is the only worthy modern follow up to Goldsmith/Silvestri series.

And it even has a pretty love theme:

Karol

It's like the Goldsmith Mummy score but with all of the enjoyable stuff sucked out.  Like chewing on wood.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams: Still exceptional. I really love how daringly different this is from the cotemporaneous Star Wars in its modern unsettling qualities that slowly melt away and the dazzling romantic finale emerges. Also the rumbling militaristic suspense Williams conjures for half of the running time of the score is highly effective and suitably ominous and oppressive and further enhances the effect of the wonder and light that comes at the end. No wonder Williams always singles out this score as his personal favourite among his works as it must have given him both an artistic challenge and certain expressive freedom to contribute very integrally to the story of the film in such a satisfying way.

Can't wait!

:music: Hostage by Alexandre Desplat. I always liked his sharp and powerful action music, even in the earlier days when it perhaps bit more stripped-down. This was one of my early favourites (bad ass!):

Great early Hollywood score from Desplat. Quite obscure by now.

(Posted this in the Bond threat by mistake. Will leave it there - seems somewhat relevant)

Karol

Yup. Hostage is pretty great all around.  I especially love the suspense writing.

I am not so much enamored with The Grand Budapest Hotel though.

Driving Miss Daisy - Hans Zimmer

Corny and cheesy it may be, but it's like eating mom's homemade vegetable soup for me.  Makes me feel all warm inside.

I'd really like one day for there to be an expanded release of this.  Been listening to the same four score tracks from the OST so long...

Star Track the Wrath of Kahn.

its good even if it is from that other Star franchise!

Star Wars is better than everything!

Fried Green Tomatoes - Thomas Newman

I. LOVE. THIS. SCORE. :wub2:

And I desperately want to own it as I've been listening to Youtube uploads of the original '92 score release for years.  I've thought about buying it on the secondary market if the right used price came along, but there's always that niggling thought that it will get expanded by a specialty label right after you buy it used.  I'm not even sure this one needs expanding much, but a re-release would be great.

Kinda funny how both Zimmer and Newman had early milestone successes in their careers with bluesy scores for wistful Southern period pieces about strong-willed women that feature Jessica Tandy.  Newman's is the far, far more satisfying score though, I have to say.

:music: Enemy at the Gates by James Horner. I find this album to be very hard to digest but it does contain about 30 minutes of material that should be in the collection of any Horner fan. I particularly use his use of adult choir in this. It's rare enough to hear that in his work.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Enemy at the Gates by James Horner. I find this album to be very hard to digest but it does contain about 30 minutes of material that should be in the collection of any Horner fan. I particularly use his use of adult choir in this. It's rare enough to hear that in his work.

Karol

Loads and loads of Danger Motif and what sounds like the Tetris music!

Shame not people will hear it. The film is quite obscure. It might not be a five-star score. But it is as strong as 4-stars go.

:music: Valerian and the City of the Thousand Planets by Conrad Pope. My first listen of this score was a disappointment. Revisited it yesterday after receiving the CD and it was a drastically different experience. The third listen is very much like that second one. Perhaps even better. So it is a grower, just as was the case with most bigger scores from Desplat (save for his Potter perhaps). The themes and their variation become more apparent and the each cue reveals new fine details. While I wouldn't necessarily rank it among his great works, it's an enjoyable summer score and light years ahead of the competition (most of the competition anyway). Still not a fan of the synth stuff though. I can see how it works within the colourful Besson world, it makes the score seem more generic than it actually is. I wonder if there is any significant material missing from the 71-minute presentation to make it more listenable? While the album improves with each listen it still feels bit... incomplete. Might actually check out the film when it comes out over here next week.

Karol