What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Well, nowadays he who wants to rekindle the old Elfman love is probably better served with Marianelli - sort of. The allusions to Rota are more genuine here (Marianelli is italian, after all) and it's all completely harmless antics but if you like the Powell animation scores and appreciate Marianelli's talent at effortlessly steering his orchestral sections through an hour of light and breezy children's entertainment, this one is a winning late-year entry.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmI7KRYZhSfSC3RGkerNo

While not necessarily a subject/story i feel much affinity for, this Scorsese still remains a most impressive visual achievement. I could have turned off the audio and still be utterly captivated for 2.5 hours by his storytelling with images.

The Mists of Avalon by Lee Holridge

SUN - Soul of the Ultmate Nation by Howard Shore

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun by Christopher Lennertz

FINALLY, I can reproduce a playlist that my friend @Stempel posted here few years ago!!!

It's a compilation of Star Wars tracks recorded by Erich Kunzel.

Yessss! 

01 20th Century Fox Fanfare (A. Newman)

02 Star Wars- Main Title

03 Princess Leia From Episode Iv- A New Hope

04 Cantina Band From Episode Iv- A New Hope

05 The Empire Strikes Back- The Imperial March

06 Yoda's Theme From Episode  V- The Empire Strikes Back

07 Parade Of The Ewoks

08 Return Of The Jedi- Luke & Leia

09 The Phantom Menace - Main Title , The Flag Parade

10 Anakin's Theme From Episode I- The Phantom Menace

11 Duel Of The Fates From Episode I- The Phantom Menace

12 Across The Stars From Episode Ii- Attack Of The Clones

13 Battle Of The Heroes From Episode Iii- The Revenge Of The Sith

14 Star Wars- Throne Room & End Title

That would makes a great album!

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music:Benjamin-Hur by Miklos Rozsa. Really loving this new recording.

Karol

Ditto. An excellent re-recording of a classic epic.

9 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

These scores are absolutely fantastic!

Attack of the Clones has so many moments that feel like perfect Star Wars to me, I'm genuinely surprised that it's not regarded better than it is. In fact, it has that "Star Wars sound" to me in a way far more genuine and intrinsic than the scores it's sandwiched by. It's got such a fresh and vibrant sound, great variety while still having a clear and consistent tone... with this, Minority Report, and Catch Me if You Can, 2002 was an amazing year for Williams. Didn't the Yo Yo Ma album also come out in 2002? Holy crap.

I’ve been listening to the scores for the first three Pirates of The Caribbean movies a lot lately and I really enjoy them. Would probably rank them 3,1,2 but they’re all really good. 

Before Zimmer went just too Zimmer.

THE RUSSIA HOUSE, by Jerry Goldsmith.

Well, this is nothing less than a class act. Sly, humorous, tense, suspenseful, sultry, sexy, and downright gorgeous.

It's a quintessential piece of work, by a master craftsman, at the very top of his game.

In a funny/sad way, I'm almost glad that he's not here to hear how film modern music is being flushed, constantly, down the shitter. I suspect that he wouldn't have a good word to say about it, and more power to him, for it!

Good ole Jerry. I miss this man more, with each passing year.

Great score, but fuck-me-dead the film is so goddamn boring! The scenery is nice, but it has no narrative thrust, everyone mumbles their lines, and... well I may as well use it as an ASMR fix. No doubt it put Jerry to sleep while he was working on it.

Return of the Jedi (SE) - John Williams

The score is incredible of course, but man disc 2 really is just a disaster of album editing.

"Brother and Sister/Father and Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok"?

"Into the Trap/Forest Ambush/Scout Walker Scramble/Prime Weapon Fires"?

"Leia is Wounded/The Duel Begins/Overtaking the Bunker/The Dark Side Beckons/The Emperor’s Death"?

That's stupid and it drives me up the wall.

Not the OST which is very entertaining but not a great representation of the score as a whole.

I've never owned the anthology!  By the time I was of CD buying age and interested in soundtracks, the SEs were out and that's what I bought.

The parts specifically referenced above during the 45 minute finale on disc 2 are where the 2CD version really loses me. The whole thing begins to deteriorate and breaks apart under its own weight like Titanic in its final moments.

I always thought the 2-CD version dragged. The Jabba's Palace segment is boring and goes on forever, and the final battle music is as jerky as TPM. Nah the the OST cuts out all that shit and makes for a great listen.

Notes on a Scandal by Philip Glass

The quintessential Glass score, and my favourite. It's the composer's finest and most effective attempt at film music. It may be familiar to most Glass fans, as most of his works are, but rarely has he exercised the full dramatic potential of his usual constructs with the command that he does here. There are themes, there are motifs and all of them cleverly manipulated and orchestrated with great musical range. The biting personality of the work in itself is vivacious and it makes a great album to boot. 

The Justice League by Danny Elfman

Good grief. That was a slog to sit through. Too much noise, with the decent ideas being too few and far between. Say what you will about MoS and BvS (and I'm no big fan of either of those scores), but to their credit, they had a distinct musical personality of their own. This is just serviceable orchestral noise. Though I can't say I'm really surprised by it.

To me the worst part about the ROTJ SE soundtrack release is the foul sound quality of some ques, especially the Here They Come cue (which happens to be a theme lifted from ANH). And how someone managed to vanish the complete recording of the Jabba the Hut theme is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Notes on a Scandal by Philip Glass

The quintessential Glass score, and my favourite. It's the composer's finest and most effective attempt at film music. It may be familiar to most Glass fans, as most of his works are, but rarely has he exercised the full dramatic potential of his usual constructs with the command that he does here. There are themes, there are motifs and all of them cleverly manipulated and orchestrated with great musical range. The biting personality of the work in itself is vivacious and it makes a great album to boot. 

The Justice League by Danny Elfman

Good grief. That was a slog to sit through. Too much noise, with the decent ideas being too few and far between. Say what you will about MoS and BvS (and I'm no big fan of either of those scores), but to their credit, they had a distinct musical personality of their own. This is just serviceable orchestral noise. Though I can't say I'm really surprised by it.

I can think of at least three soundtracks by Glass which I find more entertaining than Notes on a Scandal: The Hours, The Illusionist, and Mishima.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Yeah and it seems to get worse and worse as you progress through the score. The deterioration I refer to that occurs during disc 2 includes the horrendous sound.

Made me think ROTJ was made in 1943!