What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Bes, it's NONE BUT THE BRAVE :)

What happened to EMPIRE OF THE SUN?

I hesitated when I wrote the post at 6 o'clock this morning! :P

1941 and now Empire of the Sun.... Stop destroying my WWII trilogy!!!!

John Williams - Return of the Jedi (Anthology set, CD3&4 Combined)

EDIT: As Lapti Nek starts, I automatically start dancing on my chair at work. Disco Time!!! :woop:

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

My personal favorite FF score, SNES score, RPG score, and Uematsu score - likely because I loved the game as a kid and feel it holds up as a brilliant and accessible game to this day.  I realized listening to all 3 of Uematsu's SNES FF scores this day that this one is more epic than FFV, but also more simple and accessible (like the game).  It's very broud - spooky cave, spooky music; Samurai castle, samurai music, you arrive on the moon, the music's weird - etc.  But damn, its great.

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Chrono Trigger

Widely recognized as one of the best video game scores of all time for a reason.  A true and utter masterpiece of game scoring, full of amazing themes and cues.

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy V

This one is more personal than FFIV, largely because its centered around a single, really strong theme that iterates through the whole score.  It's such a gorgeous, classic theme, and the whole score is super strong.  Makes me want to play the game, which I'm completely unfamiliar with (I checked it out when emulators became a thing in college, but I never beat it, unlike FFIV and FFVI which I've beaten multiple times)

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

In many ways, I actually prefer this score to Chrono Trigger.  It's such, such amazing luck that Uematsu and Mitsuda could team up again immediately after Chrono Trigger; This is score is like a cousin to that one in many ways.  Unlike Chrono Trigger though, which had a huge, wide scope and epic feel, because the gameplay takes you all over the world and through time and space, this is more mechanical/robot/sci-fi focused, because the game is, so there's that major difference.  But there's still a lot of emotion, especially when characters die, and so many fun, fun, fun  cues throughout.  I've listened to this score every day this week for a reason.

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI

Sort of takes the best of FFV and FFVI and turns them into another masterpiece.  It combines the big epic scope of FFIV, but now way more mature instead of simplistic, with the more personal nature of FFV - we get another strong main theme here - and creates something really special, also widely regarded as one of the best video game scores for a reason.  I can't say I hum along as much as I do to FFIV, CT, or FMGH, but there is a ton of good music here, and I think if I were to play the game again now (its been a while since I've played it), I'd really get into this on a whole new level. 

Good stuff all around!

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Slam

Michael Land - The Secret of Monkey Island (Special Edition)

Classic!  Hadn't heard this one in a while, glad I dug it out

James Horner - Apollo 13 (Complete)

You know, this score is truly one of Horner's masterpieces.  The specialty labels need to get this out in legitimate form!

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek (Complete)

Hadn't listened to this one in quite a while now!  It's almost hard for me to wrap my head around the fact its a decade old.

He hated himself for being so good.

Oh, by the way, I never noticed before he actually states Dies Irae in an extended statement in The Clouded Minds. It's clearly there but at the same time so cleverly buried.

Karol

:music: Batman Forever

Oh my god, can you imagine The Elliot Goldenthal Batman Collection from La-La Land? Batman Forever sold out some time ago and it's still not quite complete but coupled with Batman & Robin it would make for a killer release. And, as we know, everything Batman-related sells (unlike Superman). But of course it probably will never happen due to all that 300 business. Stupid Snyder, ruining everything!

Karol

So i made me a nice 39-minute playlist from JGreenwood's Oscar nominee.  It plays very well. It has my vote (of confidence).

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've got a simpler explanation. He was a lousy album producer.

While that's generally not true, it was in the 90's. There's not on album between Basic Instinct (the last great one) and The Mummy (wins by sheer length) i would have put together as he did. 

Listened to selections from several Rózsa scores today, all on the terrific Tadlow re-recordings. That Miklós guy wrote some pretty excellent music.

El Cid

Ben-Hur

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Quo Vadis

Sodom and Gomorrah

The Thief of Bagdad

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Extensive comments on The Village and Signs, yet no words for the best of the lot?

What can I say. Words are not enough to describe it. ;)

Listened to the entire ultimate editions for Star Wars Original Trilogy this weekend. to the entire Star Wars Original Trilogy Ultimate Editions this week.

I also listened to parts of Hook, The Phantom Menace, and Seven Years in Tibet!