What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I could never quite understand your admiration for JNH. What is so special about his music? Other than about half dozen of his score (all of which happen to be the first six Shyamalan collaborations), it is a real a chore to finish his albums. Most of his scores are fine...but merely workmanlike. Help me understand.

Obviously he convinces a lot more people of his value, given his influence on mainstream scoring. His most obvious quality, that he's able to write a JNH score that's decidedly his and while there is, through sheer quantity, a lot of negligible stuff he is the last one of the 'musical' composers out there, meaning one who can write a great tune and, too seldom, great set pieces that stand on their own feet, and often is very attractive harmonically. How many other film composers today can meet those standards?

But like with Thor in the other thread i will supply you with a fair estimation of his work since 2000:

Dinosaur: good, two standout pieces, The Egg Travels and The Courthsip

Unbreakable: brilliant, standout pieces Visions, Weightlifting, The Wreck and Reflection of Elijah

Vertical Limit: fair, recommended pieces 3 Years later I Wanna Do This

Atlantis: The Lost Empire: great, several epic cues i would recommend are The City of Atlantis, The Crystal Chamber and Just Do It

America's Sweethearts: no idea

Big Trouble: no idea

Signs: brilliant, all of it

Unconditional Love: no idea

The Emperor's Club: Thomas Newman rip off, negligible if pleasant

Treasure Planet: colourful, recommend The Launch, Silver Leaves and Jim Saves The Crew

Dreamcatcher: fair, a continuation of the MNS scores but not essential

Peter Pan: a bit too Potterish, but with some great cues, Flying, Learning To Fly, Come Meet Father and Fairy Dance 

Hidalgo: all-around great

The Village: dito

Collateral: nah

The Interpreter: nah

Batman Begins: the two or three softer cues he did contribute stick out like a sore thumb but feature wonderful string writing

King Kong: king of his big blockbuster scores, though tends to get a bit lost in the repetitive action scenes, melodic material is top-notch

Freedomland: the cue Freedomland

RV: no idea

Lady in the Water: masterpiece

Blood Diamond: within restrictions a good 'world music' score, standouts sure are London and Solomon Vandy

The Lookout: nah

Michael Clayton: nah

I Am Legend: a few great pieces, Evacuation, Reunited among them

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep: Horner-ish fantasy score with a great main theme, Main Title, Swimming, second half of The Net

Charlie Wilson's War: eclectic stuff, the cue Turning The Tide is interesting (Händel)

The Great Debaters: Horner-ish, recommend James' Failure, And the Winner is

Mad Money: no idea

The Happening: as usual a few great pieces, though the Suite at the end might suffice

The Dark Knight: nah

Defiance: often typical  pathetic Zwick scoring, standouts are Tuvia Kisses Lilka, The Bielski Brothers

Confessions of a Shopaholic: no idea

Duplicity: nah

It's Complicated: nah

Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang: negligible children's score

Salt: blockbuster action, one standout is Chase Across Dc

The Last Airbender: two brilliant cues, the Overture and Flow Like Water

Inhale: no idea

Love & Other Drugs: no idea

The Tourist: nah

Larry Crowne: no idea

Water for Elephants: very good main theme (Circus Fantasy), but a bit too square on the whole

The Green Hornet: loud and boorish, one ok chase cue, Car Chase 2

Gnomeo & Juliet: nah

Green Lantern: nah

The Hunger Games: negligible, Rue's Farewell is ok-ish

Snow White and the Huntsman: split; too much noise, but a great main theme, best heard in Sanctuary and White Heart

The Bourne Legacy: nah

After Earth: nah

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: a handful nice cues but...

Parkland: double nah

Maleficent: Horner-ish, some great cues, i. e. Maleficent Flies

Nightcrawler: good, inventive, Lou's Inspired

Pawn Sacrifice: nah

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1/The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2: a handful nice cues but...last cue is enough, There Are Worse Games To Play / Deep In The Meadow / The Hunger Games Suite

Concussion: nah

The Huntsman: Winter's War: jolly good new main theme, too much blockbuster noise in between,You Shouldn't Walk in Shadows, The Children Arrive, Ravenna's Embrace

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: too Potterish, but the wealth of material features some great stuff, A Man and His Beasts and Kowalski Rag rule

Detroit: no idea

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: interesting first cue, no idea

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

Try as he might, to enlighten us to JNH, Pub has forgotten to mention his magnum opus, the astounding (if a little Copelandesque, at the end) GRAND CANYON.

No, I'm not joking.

Last time i looked that was pre-2000.

34 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

God, not those JNH OSTs again. They certainly were a waste of money.

That's why you only listen to selections on Spotify, silly!

It's 9.99 per month. But compared to the money saved it's peanuts. Especially for sampling stuff before shelling out serious dough it's a blessing. As we talk JNH i absolutely agree that for all the fine work he puts out, you need only a fraction for pure listening purposes. 

Romeo and Juliet (Abel K) :music:

An enjoyable listen even though I'm generally not a fan of minimalist piano arpeggios.  It has solid melodic material and an attractive mix of piano, solo voice, choir, and a chamber-sized (I think) orchestra.  

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Romeo and Juliet (Abel K) :music:

An enjoyable listen even though I'm generally not a fan of minimalist piano arpeggios.  It has solid melodic material and an attractive mix of piano, solo voice, choir, and a chamber-sized (I think) orchestra.  

I still have nothing on the Horner. What a world.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I could never quite understand your admiration for JNH. What is so special about his music? Other than about half dozen of his score (all of which happen to be the first six Shyamalan collaborations), it is a real a chore to finish his albums. Most of his scores are fine...but merely workmanlike. Help me understand.

Karol

Idiot!

Oh but Koray. Good of you to come.

I'm listening to The Post for the first time. It's pretty boring, to be honest. It's like it was composed by a Williams music generator app. You can hear bits and pieces that are along the lines of much superior JW scores.

I'm trying to get through TLJ OST and I'm having the same issue I had with the score in film. It's very specifically assigned to the film and experienced strictly as music, it's an awkward listening experience. Every track is just all over the place with extensive leitmotif with one theme leading into the next connected by rather uninteresting and random filler. The proven themes are rarely even put through any permutations to differentiate them from what we've heard before. This score never gets a chance to breathe, you know?

TFA wasn't as Mickey Mousey and had me hooked from the start. This one is very trying.

Surely one of the best fantasy scores ever (for an uneven but at times quite enchanting movie courtesy of Spielberg protégé Matthew Robbins) it might typically a bit too Northian for some (meaning its advanced harmonic vocabulary, eschewing traditional romanticism in favour of more modern composing techniques) but its a damn fascinating listen. The LLL is essential.

Defective disc, eh? ;)

:music: Wolf Totem by James Horner. Not that there is anything particularly striking about it but it remains one of my favourite Horner albums of this century. A perfectly balanced album has a lot to do with that. Plus the fact that stylistically it sits comfortably somewhere between his gargantuan-sized ethnic dramas and children fantasy scores. It's epic in places but also light-hearted enough to be perfectly digestible.

Karol

I really like The Last Jedi's score, and I enjoy it more with every listen, but I do get the sense that John Williams is taking a more laid backor "detached" approach to these newer movies...he said when composing the original, he thought it was a fun kid's movie that would be a good time for a few weekends, but you wouldn't believe that from the score he wrote. With the newer ones, I have an easier time believing it.

A doomed score. John Barry was hired to score this rotten Universal potboiler about an autistic child helping Bruce Willis to uncover a government conspiracy after he cracks a top secret government code. An exercise in Bondian slowness, it was a wonder the Guv'nor wasn't rejected wholesale - a trend that sadly had become the norm by then - but only in the more action-y scenes that panicked execs, probably thinking such approach might frighten the patrons (Carter Burwell provided the Goldsmithian honours). It's not a highlight in any shape or form, but still surprising after all these years how different a movie like this seems for a composer having a distinctly off-the-wall style. Barry's sorrowful, weighty writing signifies depth where there isn't any and while he doesn't offer any new or specific idea to make 'Mercury Rising' more than a tired retread, it ironically still exposes how hollow the movie is. A historical artifact, really, which makes both more interesting than they have any right to be.

A great Varèse Sarabande John Williams compilation mixing tracks conducted by him and some by other conductors.

p_vsd6047.jpg

Great Composers: John Williams (1999, Varèse Sarabande, VSD 6047, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: End Credits (from Presumed Innocent); End Credits (from Stanley & Iris); Main Title (from The Cowboys).

R-10035058-1490523297-8357.jpeg.jpg

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

@crocodile  there's no "maybe" about it. He's not composed a finer score and, sadly, he never will.

For me, this is career-peak Horner.

When it comes to expanded deluxe editions this is probably on top of my most wanted list.

Karol