What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

Listening to a bit of the OST to get a taste of it.

Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding! My First Bus Ride is AMAZING!

For a taste of what was left off the OST:

Not to mention the final battle... SANCTUS DOMINE SANCTUS DOMINE!

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Best score to come out in a long time

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Very nice score from Michael

The Lost World: Jurassic Park is my favorite John Williams score.

My desert island choice of the J. Williams library, if you will.

I have not experienced this epiphany until today, though it really should have been apparent sooner. It was my most listened to Williams album in my early teens music-lovin' days, and I adored the awesome album packaging and had it on proud display in my room. 

13 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else like John Williams?

Yeah. He's alright.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I like him when he's doing shark and dinosaur stuff!

Well this is another good one:

0000773985.jpg

:music: Cutthroat Island by John Debney

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Dat cover though!

Indeed. One of the most depressing ones for a JW soundtrack album.

10 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

What the hell is that movie about? I've avoided it all these years just because of that damn cover/poster.

It is a biopic based on the first part of the memoirs of Irish-American author Frank McCourt telling the story of his poor childhood in Limerick Ireland. His parents had emigrated to America but their family was so poor they had to move back to Ireland. His father was a no good drunk drifter and his mother took care of 4 children mostly on her own. He lived a hard childhood but finally in his adolescence finally was able to get enough money to move to America in pursuit of a better life and in the end became a teacher. The film tells the story up to the point he gets back to America again. It is pretty faithful to the novel in all its humour and wit to lighten the mood but also in the depiction of the poverty, disease and misery that plagued the poor during the early half of the 20th century in Ireland. A sort of a survival story, from rags to not so rich.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Depressing kitchen sink drama, then. I'll put it on the list.

It is oddly lighthearted actually even though children are dying like flies in this one.

Karol

Discovering (not very true...) the score from The Time Tunnel, that I just bought.

Well, it's TV music.

GAN-GNAAAA-PWET-PWEEET-POOM-TAAA-POOM-TAAA-TA-DA-DA-TRINGELING-LING-LING-PWET-PWET-WOO-LOOO-LOOOO-WOO-LOOO.

Superb, as expected.

:sarcasm:

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't like his Alice in Wonderland score?

I do!

Big Fish is the last great Burton/Elfman collab for me.

Alice is the last good one.

I'm sure my feelings about the movies color my perceptions.

I actually tried listening to Dark Shadows the other week, not sure I've ever made it all the way through that album.

I've still never even seen Burton's Alice in Wonderland movies.  Don't know if I ever will!  I enjoy the scores a lot though.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I've still never even seen Burton's Alice in Wonderland movies.  Don't know if I ever will!  I enjoy the scores a lot though.

Well he only directed the first one.  But yeah, I don't recommend seeing it.

Since then, I've seen Frankenweenie but not Dark Shadows, Big Eyes, or Miss Peregrine.  Elfman's scores for the first three mentioned did not grab me.

Recent Tim Burton films for me:

Sleepy Hollow - goofy fun film, good score

Planet of the Apes - Don't remember much about the film, the score is fun but too long in complete form

Big Fish - Haven't seen the film since it came out so don't remember much, never listen to the score.  Need to revisit both!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Meh film, meh score

Corpse Bride - Meh film, don't remember the score

Sweeney Todd - meh

Alice in Wonderland - haven't seen the film, wonderful score

Dark Shadows - meh film, don't remember the score

Frankenweenie - Have not seen the film, have not herad the score

Big Eyes - Really good film, don't remember the score

Alice Through The Looking Glass - I know Burton didn't direct it, but he did produce it - great score by Elfman, better than the first

Miss Peregrine - Interesting but flawed film (worth seeing, I'd say), good-ish score (not by Elfman)

Dumbo - Looks bad!  Maybe the score will be cool?

10 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I liked his 80s short film Frankenweenie. He remade it? Come on...

Oh sorry you were talking about Alice.  Yeah I wouldn't watch the second one if someone held a gun to my head.

And yeah, the stop motion Frankenweenie was bad.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sleepy Hollow - goofy fun film, good score

I love the movie and score.  Yes, because they're goofy dark fun!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Planet of the Apes - Don't remember much about the film, the score is fun but too long in complete form

I still have never seen the film or heard a note of the score.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Meh film, meh score

I like the main title cue.  That's all I need.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Dumbo - Looks bad!  Maybe the score will be cool?

Boy I hope so.  A cool circus-y Elfman score is the only possible reason to look forward to that crappy looking movie.  But hey, it does have Danny DeVito in it!  First time he's been in a Burton movie since Big Fish!  Where he also played a circus ringleader....

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Big Fish - Haven't seen the film since it came out so don't remember much, never listen to the score.  Need to revisit both!

Also I will admit my love for this score is 75% due to the Finale cue.  I think it might actually be my single favorite Elfman cue.  Ever.

No reason not to listen to the POTA OST album once for free on Spotify, Stuey.  You never know, you just might like it!

I always though they used PoTA soundtrack (ah those fucked 60's soundtracks with a lot of weird sounds) to torture people at Guantanamo.

Well, they should try if they don't.  They should try with Images too.

:sarcasm:

We're talking about Elfman's Planet of the Apes score from 2001, not Goldsmith's from 1968

Just now, Jay said:

We're talking about Elfman's Planet of the Apes score from 2001, not Goldsmith's from 1964

It should be better then!

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

No reason not to listen to the POTA OST album once for free on Spotify, Stuey.  You never know, you just might like it!

I've been in a state of "meaning to give it a listen" for over 15 years now!  I'm sure I will....one day.

In the meantime, there's a new score from Elfman on streaming sites now!  It's the kind of Elfman score that @Thor will love.

The jazzy main titles grabbed my interest, but the rest of the score isn't like that.

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot - Danny Elfman

It's a nice little score.  I like it more than I've typically liked Elfman's "small indie drama" scores lately.  Good music to listen to while working.  I like the colors of this score.  There's some neat percussion stuff going on.  A couple of jazz ensemble cues.

There's this neat vocal stuff with Petra Haden:

And this is a nice cue

For anyone interested, here's an interview with Elfman about the score http://collider.com/danny-elfman-interview-dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot/

John Barry - Dances With Wolves (LLL)

Trevor Jones - Cliffhanger (LLL)

David Arnold - Die Another Day (LLL)

Still keeping my fingers crossed for La-La Land to release more expanded Bond scores in the future ... :whistle: Tomorrow Never Dies should be next!

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

So, uh...um...er...

I never noticed the opening cue of Jurassic Park is the carnivore motif until recently.

I feel as though I'm obligated to forfeit my Jurassic fan badge.

Keep the badge; you must surrender all means of listening to Fallen Kingdom, that'll suffice.

The Lost World in the car

I gotta say, this seemed better in theory. Rescuing Sarah and Visitor in San Diego are great for driving, but not exactly in city traffic.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot - Danny Elfman

It's a nice little score.  I like it more than I've typically liked Elfman's "small indie drama" scores lately.  Good music to listen to while working.  I like the colors of this score.  There's some neat percussion stuff going on.  A couple of jazz ensemble cues.

There's this neat vocal stuff with Petra Haden:

And this is a nice cue

For anyone interested, here's an interview with Elfman about the score http://collider.com/danny-elfman-interview-dont-worry-he-wont-get-far-on-foot/

Thanks for sharing. Nice little interview, but the cues you linked don't hold my interest very much. I'm curious to check out that opening track, though.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I gotta say, this seemed better in theory. Rescuing Sarah and Visitor in San Diego are great for driving, but not exactly in city traffic.

Because the score makes you too exultated?

Anyway, listening to this baby:

Dances With Wolves, EE

70th birthday Expanded Edition (2004)

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Move to California, you'll do just fine!

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Keep the badge; you must surrender all means of listening to Fallen Kingdom, that'll suffice.

You know how I figured it out?

When it showed up in "Reading the Map" from Lost World.

I hate myself and hope I die alone, cold and hungry.

13 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Thanks for sharing. Nice little interview, but the cues you linked don't hold my interest very much. I'm curious to check out that opening track, though.

Yeah, the kind of score I'll forget I listened to by tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, the kind of score I'll forget I listened to by tomorrow.

Just checked out the main titles and Auntie Tia: that's more like it! Fun, if more a demonstration of Elfman's commitment as a film composer more than his abilities as a singular compositional voice (the main titles moreso than Auntie Tia, which sounds like a hillbilly infused with Bernard Herrmann). 

I miss him before he thought it would be cool to try and sound like Glass with all of those dry, diatonic string ostinati.