What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Regarding Ghosbusters 2, I think New Edition are great pop band, “If It Isn’t Love” is one of the best singles of the 80s, but “Supernatural” is a crap New Edition song

No headphones today, the real thing.

- The Empire Strikes Back (2018 remasterizzzzzation)

- Minority Report

Empire of the Sun

A single listen to Disc 1 of the LLL set, which was enough to confirm my wish to get it. Fantastic.

Oh I'm not worrying about the quality of the score or Matessino's abilities, but I usually need a listen or two to decide whether this is something I will actually want to listen to multiple times, otherwise it's a pretty significant amount of money to "waste".

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Empire of the Sun is one of few Williams scores I just do not connect with. The main theme is certainly top tier, but the score on the whole is too disconnected

It's no A.I!

On 8/4/2018 at 6:42 AM, Disco Stu said:

Saving mr. Banks is a very good Thomas Newman score

On 8/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, Incanus said:

I on the contrary think it is quite a generic Newman score. I can't remember it being anything but pleasant.

I wish his more recent output would impress me but alas no.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:42 AM, Disco Stu said:

It had a memorable main theme!! I can at least hum the end credits opening from memory.

I just found this excellent analysis of the Saving Mr. Banks score.

http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/oscar-nominees-2014-best-original-score-part-2-of-6-thomas-newmans-saving-mr-banks/

The theme I found memorable enough to be able to hum months after last hearing it he refers to as "Pam's Tender Theme."  I like it a lot!

(at 0:13)

Anyone know who this Mark Richards guy is?  I like his blog A LOT.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!  Just figured out he's @Ludwig! haha!  I feel like I should've known that....  Really cool blog man.  You should update more often!  I'm a subscriber now at least.

The Wind and the Lion by Jerry Goldsmith: Jerry's mini-Lawrence of Arabia and he takes advantage of the subject matter and composes a brilliantly epic score with a rousing main theme, great orchestrally translated Middle-Eastern (or should I say North African) colours and a gorgeous love theme. 

The Sand Pebbles by Jerry Goldsmith: Another powerhouse of a historical score with plenty of highlights and a tight thematic construction where love themes meet anguished dramatic scoring and tense action scoring.

:music:Ivanhoe by Miklós Rózsa

46 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Thanks @Disco Stu. I keep a pretty low profile - probably too low, heh. Glad you are a fan of my blog. I've tried hard to keep the analyses accessible while maintaining a level of depth as well. So it's great to have feedback like this.

I will definitely update more often. Things have just been insanely busy this year but there is light at the end of the tunnel. So I can finally get to some of the things I've been wanting to do for years now. Like a 6-part series on Goldsmith themes, for example. So stay tuned!

I'm willing to bet you don't follow football....but either way.  Regarding a certain game happening on September 3rd I will only say: Go Hokies!!! :D

(this is assuming the 'About' bio on your blog is still accurate....)

On 8/22/2018 at 5:27 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow by That Guy Who Should Be Given a Star Wars Film Already

Karol

Well, his late wife was a producer on Solo and Rogue One...

Both suck, frankly. 

In no way, shape or form a match for the Goldsmith, it's still interesting to note the different approach to the same story with 45 years between the Schaffner and this version. Buckley's atmospheric, dirge-y, vaguely gregorian approach with a prominent boy's choir remains vague and disappointingly static. Stick with the 70's folks.

And another new one, a welcome surprise by Jeff Beal, who wrote a House of Cards symphony!

This release grew out of the fascination of Robert von Bahr, founder and managing director of BIS Records, for the television series House of Cards. It wasn’t only – or even primarily – the script or the acting that grabbed him, however, but just as much the music. Said and done – Jeff Beal, the composer of the House of Cards soundtrack, was contacted and it was soon decided that he should compose a Flute Concerto for the virtuosic Sharon Bezaly. To complement the concerto a selection of music from the series was agreed upon, but with five seasons worth of installments to choose from, this quickly grew into a large-scale House of Cards Symphony which at 83 minutes takes up an album all on its own. So now the decision was made to record and present a lavish release, with three further works: Six Sixteen for guitar and orchestra (performed by Grammy winner Jason Vieaux), Canticle for strings and a brand new House of Cards Fantasy for flute and orchestra. The Norrköping Symphony Orchestra has received international acclaim for its recordings of the hyper-intense music of modernist Allan Pettersson, but here, under the direction of the composer himself, it has taken to the new idiom and welcomes the additional instruments necessary to bring out that House of Cards feeling: electric guitar and bass guitar, drum kit, piano and flugelhorn. 
https://www.highresaudio.com/de/album/view/c7w573/norrkping-symphony-orchestra-jeff-beal-jeff-beal-house-of-cards-symphony

On 8/24/2018 at 2:36 AM, publicist said:

And another new one, a welcome surprise by Jeff Beal, who wrote a House of Cards symphony!

I saw that Boosey and Hawkes had the score on their website a few days ago, I was surprised too! I don't have Spotify, how's the Symphony?

It's no symphony but it's very entertaining as a concept album, especially all the little 'concertos' at the tail end (flute, guitar). Probably more interesting to music aficionados than 'FILM' music fans. 

Evolution - John Powell

Great fun.  The main theme (first intro’d in “Fruit Basket for Russell Woodman” I think) reminds me of HTTYD mixed with the flower theme from Ferdinand.  Not in a self-stealing way.  Just an observation.  I think it’s just what romantic sweeping Powell themes sound like. 

His first great solo score.  Rewards repeat listens like the best Powells. I totally forgot this was just the year before Bourne.

A little travel in time...

John Williams - Dracula (my restoration of the vinyl)

John Williams - Monsignor

John Williams - Accidental Tourist

John Williams - Stanley & Iris (original album)

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Evolution - John Powell

Great fun.  The main theme (first intro’d in “Fruit Basket for Russell Woodman” I think) reminds me of HTTYD mixed with the flower theme from Ferdinand.  Not in a self-stealing way.  Just an observation.  I think it’s just what romantic sweeping Powell themes sound like. 

His first great solo score.  Rewards repeat listens like the best Powells. I totally forgot this was just the year before Bourne.

Shame that's as close as he's gotten to scoring a monster/horror movie. He's got the chops for a big monster movie score!

The Patriot by John Williams

Lair by John Debney

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman

Towering Inferno by John Williams

Two scores related a bit in subject matter

Munich by John Williams

A strong score.  We should very much appreciate the stylistic experimentation of John's 94-08 period.  Munich has a more than satisfactory mix of tight action material, unique suspenseful moments, and distinct themes.  It is a gloomy score, to be sure, but I tend to gravitate towards those.  My only gripe is with the singer who performs the "ethnic" material.  Technically, she is alright, but I knew at once that she was American.  Perhaps a native performer would have been better?  That is just me, though.

Operation Finale by Alexandre Desplat.  

Also strong.  One of the best efforts I've heard from Desplat.  The different elements come together quite well.  The thematic material was of particular interest.  He left his personal mark on the score, which is a thing to be commended in a rather impersonal scoring age. 

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

My only gripe is with the singer who performs the "ethnic" material.  Technically, she is alright, but I knew at once that she was American.

Lisbeth Scott?

Apparently she is of Armenian origin.

Just now, Falafel said:

Lisbeth Scott?

Apparently she is of Armenian origin.

Yes, but she was born in Boston, and has a little bit of an accent when she sings the material.

I'm not belittling her abilities, though.  It is tremendously difficult to approach that sort of soundworld if you were not born into it.