What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Finally listened to HP disc one and seven. As Mr. SPOCK said "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true."

Star Wars (demastered edition)

Empire strikes Back (demastered edition)

Return of  the Jedi (Anthology boxset CD 3)

Tomorrow Never Dies (David Arnold, Nerys Records 007)

After listening to LLL's TWINE many times for the last few weeks I decided to give this one a spin.

Arnold does a great job taking the well known "Bond-music" style and bring it up to date for the 90's. There's some fantastic action music in this that can give ID4 a run for its money (White Knight, Bike Chase etc) and the requisite amount of spying around music and lush romance (Paris and Bond being a bit less Barryish then some of Armolds later Bond love themes)

Arnold uses the Bond Theme as if he just got it for Christmas and gives it a work out and variety that even Kamen's score didnt equal. From 90's techno in Backseat Driver to big band orchestral on steroids in Company Car. Actually Bike Chase is basically a 6 minute riff on the theme and its awesome.

A surprisingly well put together score actually. There's a lot of different styles, but rather well blended. And Arnold uses a variety of themes and quite a few recurring action rhythms and motifs throughout. Giving it a cohesive feel.

Surrender, Arnold's song which was relegated to the end credits is ace too. Really captures the brassy and ballsy 60's Bond song sound.

I would say that Nobody Does It Better than Arnold, but @Richard would have a fit! ;)

Excellent 90'd Bond score though. 

**** out of ****

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If I'm getting only one expanded Arnold/Bond score, would this be the one, or is TWINE a contender?

Don't buy the expanded Tomorrow Never Dies; It's a 1-discs, slightly expanded edition from the early 2000s that is still missing a ton of the score.  Now that LLL had gone though DAD and TWINE, it seems likely they they will tackle TND next, and we'll finally get a 2CD set of the whole thing, so I'd wait for that.

Between TWINE and DAD, I'd easily recommend TWINE for sure.

Transformers (2007) - Steve Jablonsky

I do love this score. The themes are amazing (especially so considering how much of a part they play in the other four Transformers) and Jablonsky really nailed the action and the more emotional side to his music here. I personally think it's one of the best scores of all time. fight me

44 minutes ago, Zanobard said:

I personally think it's one of the best scores of all time. fight me

Considering you're a new fellow, I'm curious as to how many scores you've heard in life so far. 

New to the forum and new to life are different things, Kase.

This fellow seems to have good tastes and a varying musical pallet. I'm sure he's listened to plenty of scores.

12 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

It's not the choice at hand, just the declaration of "greatest of all time" raised an eyebrow. Music's been around for quite a long time, ya know!

Yeah, it was invented by Zimmer decades ago!

47 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

It's not the choice at hand, just the declaration of "greatest of all time" raised an eyebrow. Music's been around for quite a long time, ya know!

I mean, I said one of the greatest.

Still, I don't pretend to be an expert on or have all knowledge of every film score, but of the ones I've heard (and I've heard a fair few) Transformers is one of the best.

For me, anyway.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

...aaaand, normality is restored :)

Not a fan of Munich? There's some real cool music in that one...I wish the end credits made it into his concert repertoire, and I have a deep soft spot for Letter Bombs and all of the Black Sunday spiritual successor stuff.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Not a fan of Munich? There's some real cool music in that one...I wish the end credits made it into his concert repertoire, and I have a deep soft spot for Letter Bombs and all of the Black Sunday spiritual successor stuff.

Au contraire. I like MUNICH, both film and score. I'll watch anything that has Ciáran Hinds, in it.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I'll also buy a complete Goldeneye if they do that after!

I really dislike Goldeneye, but I would buy an expanded release of it to support expanded Bond scores released by LLL and produced by Neil S. Bulk.

Harry Potter: The John Williams Soundtrack Collection: An exhaustive, wonderful and lovingly put together collection of the three complete John Williams scores for the franchise that reveal great commitment, thought, heart and effort Maestro poured into his outings in the Pottervers and now reveal in full the breadth and scope of this music. Brilliant!

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings by Howard Shore: I never tire of this masterpiece by Shore which not only instantly conjures memories of experiencing this film but also works so beautifully as an independent and intricate musical tapestry and mirror of Tolkien's story as well.

And then some more down-to-earth, delicate, quiet and thoughtful music from the composer Christopher Young who is well-known for entirely different sort of the genre-work but I feel is actually at his very best with this more personal and lyrical material which still showcases his versatility and considerable skill.

Shipping News by Christopher Young 

The Tower by Christopher Young

Creation by Christopher Young

An Unfinished Life by Christopher Young

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

:music: Minority Report and War of the Worlds. Expand us, MM Baby!

Karol

Well I certainly wouldn't mind expansions of those two. But I think there are some priorities before those among the JW/Spielberg collaborations.