What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat: One of my favourite Desplat scores, a perfect piece of suspense scoring.

Should I begin with the remastered 1978 OST or the score presentation?

Super question this morning!

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Should I begin with the remastered 1978 OST or the score presentation?

Super question this morning!

Super simple answer: C&C score presentation.

The version with margot Kidder's vocals is already not in the main program.  It's only in the bonus tracks (and the OST rebuild)

Inception by Hans Zimmer

One of my favourite Zimmer scores. I think a word or two that really captures what Zimmer comes across with in his writing his power and atmosphere. The album is remarkably powerful, but not overbearing. Time, yes, is the highlight. 

Star Trek by Michal Giacchino

My least favourite of the Giacchino Star Treks so far. It's fairly standard, and doesn't really bring forth anything too musically interesting. 

Star Trek: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith

Really good. I'm diving into the Star Trek universe of music, and Goldsmith's themes are really, really good. A very solid OST album.

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly by Ennio Morricone

Wow. Iconic, epic, style-coining. Morricone's unique approach to spaghetti westerns is epitomized in this score. From the unforgettable guitar riff theme, to unconventional vocalist textures, finally to the crown jewel- The Ecstasy of Gold. Between that cue and The Trio, Morricone's superb western brass comes through so well that it becomes a trademark. In the documentary Score, which I recently watched, I believe Joe Kraemer said that with Morricone you wouldn't be wondering 'what was that instrument?' or 'how did he create that sound', but what he could do was "kill you with a melody." 

Crimson Tide by Hans Zimmer

Really interesting. Some earlier work from Zimmer, capturing some of the moods that he continues to develop today, holding on to that powerful and epic structure. Really cool.

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

Firstly, Seven Years in Tibet opens and closes with what I believe to be a perfect concert suite and one of Williams best works. Secondly, this score is one of my all-time favourites. It's really beautiful, sometimes quiet, other times eclectic (what with appropriate percussion choices).

Blue Planet II by Hans Zimmer, Jacob Shea, David Flemming

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Star Trek: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith

Really good. I'm diving into the Star Trek universe of music, and Goldsmith's themes are really, really good. A very solid OST album.

The OST really sells the score short though. It opens up immensely in the expansion, to the point where it nearly rivals STTMP for me.

Yes, although for an OST album it does for a fairly good job of presenting the score in a short span of time. It's a very efficient listen.

I'm sure, as is this case with many expansions in comparison to what an OST album is able to do, that the expanded release is far superior, which is why they do these things. It's obviously definitive when it comes to music (actually, I couldn't say in this case, but it's more complete than the OST, if you get my meaning). But I'm sure that while it may not serve complete justice for the score on a grand and complete scale, it does serve the purpose of a concise album very nicely.

I've never heard the original album at all. My first Superman album was the Varese re-recording and then the Rhino one. I'm curious to hear it.

Karol

20 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Yes, although for an OST album it does for a fairly good job of presenting the score in a short span of time. It's a very efficient listen.

I'm sure, as is this case with many expansions in comparison to what an OST album is able to do, that the expanded release is far superior, which is why they do these things. It's obviously definitive when it comes to music (actually, I couldn't say in this case, but it's more complete than the OST, if you get my meaning). But I'm sure that while it may not serve complete justice for the score on a grand and complete scale, it does serve the purpose of a concise album very nicely.

It's not a bad album, certainly. But I didn't appreciate the score as much as I do now before I heard it in full on CD (and I've seen the movie several times). I didn't expect it to improve so much in complete form.

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I've never heard the original album at all. My first Superman album was the Varese re-recording and then the Rhino one. I'm curious to hear it.

We're talking about STV, but Superman is also interesting in that regard. As everyone knows by now, I'm not too keen on most of the score after The Fortress of Solitude. But I think the same about the album, and the expansion offers a lot of great stuff *before* that point, so I'm definitely in favour of the expansion, even if it has about a full CD of stuff I wouldn't really need.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's not a bad album, certainly. But I didn't appreciate the score as much as I do now before I heard it in full on CD (and I've seen the movie several times). I didn't expect it to improve so much in complete form.

We're talking about STV, but Superman is also interesting in that regard. As everyone knows by now, I'm not too keen on most of the score after The Fortress of Solitude. But I think the same about the album, and the expansion offers a lot of great stuff *before* that point, so I'm definitely in favour of the expansion, even if it has about a full CD of stuff I wouldn't really need.

Yeah, I've always found that JW exhausted his best inspiration on the first half. I know that he was given a lot of time to score this film, but I'm wondering if he had significantly less time to score the second half.

There's nothing wrong with the second half. It's terrific stuff. It's just that the first act has an amazing epic quality that is quite unmatched even in his reach repertoire. It feels like a symphonic tone poem...sort of like Close Encounters.

OK this set does sound better. Much much better.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I've always found that JW exhausted his best inspiration on the first half. I know that he was given a lot of time to score this film, but I'm wondering if he had significantly less time to score the second half.

I thought Superman was on a crunched schedule. 

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The OST really sells the score short though. It opens up immensely in the expansion, to the point where it nearly rivals STTMP for me.

Plot Course.

20 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I thought Superman was on a crunched schedule. 

Both I and II were meant to be completed simultaneously, but because I was running late (SFX shots were late coming in; last-minute editing), JW had very little time to score the second half of the film. As he says, in one of the docs: "The final act went super-prestisimo". Still, he didn't that bad of a job, did he?

I can only salivate at the thought of a truly original score, for II: one of the greatest scores never composed.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Superman: The Movie. My first listen of the actual 1978 album (off the new set). It is a really well put together programme.

Karol

Yeah every now and then Johnny has gotten his OST programmes right. ;) 

Waterworld by James Newton Howard

Braveheart by James Horner

Superman: The Movie 40th Anniversary Remastered Edition by John Williams

Waterworld by James Newton Howard: I just got the LLL double disc set last week and have been giving it multiple listens. Personally I wouldn't go as far as to say this is one of JNHs absolute best but it is a fun action score with some nice exotic atmosphere and builds very effectively toward the third act where JNH unleashes some of the best pieces of the score, including the propulsive and wonderfully flowing Deacon's Speech. The main theme is a curiously rambunctious swashbuckling romp that actually often sounds almost out of place amidst the grittier atmosphere and exotic sounds the composer conjures from orchestra and synths (according to the liner notes Zimmer donated his sample library to JNH at the time which he says was a huge boon to him due to the tight scoring schedule) but it certainly gets the blood pumping whenever it appears heralded often by those staccato rhythm (synth?) string figures. The original generous OST album might still be the best way to enjoy this score as there is undeniably some filler music in the complete 100 minute score.

Braveheart by James Horner: The LLL set actually made me appreciate this score more. The complete score fleshes out all aspects of this music and it remains one of Horner's most unique creations as far as the general atmosphere, time and place the music conveys. Hornerisms are never too far off though but they are a very minor detractor here and there is a wonderful dramatic throughline in the music which balances Celtic atmosphere with several thematic ideas that seem such a natural part of the Scottish musical landscape even though they are original creations and a film music approximation of the times and culture.

Horner also knows where to pull back and support the action with sparse musical underpinnings such as he does in various battle sequences where the score sets the tone and pace but never blooms into overly florid or complex orchestral mayhem in the style of Miklós Rózsa. Similarly he on the other hand also knows exactly when to unleash his themes in their full glory for maximum emotional impact which is evidenced perhaps the best in the rousing finale of the score which still sends shivers down my spine and I have not seen the film in a decade. One of Horner's finest achievements.

If you long for a surge of female composers, this might be a better ticket than 'Captain Marvel': a muted drama score, half Desplat/Yared etc., half Williams (there are surprising harmonic similarities to i. e. Memoirs of a Geisha, Sleepers, Book Thief and the likes). And it manages to musically tell a story, something i desperately miss in much of today's utility scoring.

Minority Report by John Williams

Lust Caution by Alexandre Desplat

The Lion in Winter by Richard Hartley

51 minutes ago, publicist said:

If you long for a surge of female composers, this might be a better ticket than 'Captain Marvel': a muted drama score, half Desplat/Yared etc., half Williams (there are surprising harmonic similarities to i. e. Memoirs of a Geisha, Sleepers, Book Thief and the likes). And it manages to musically tell a story, something i desperately miss in much of today's utility scoring.

Welcome back! :)

Karol

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Superman - The additional tracks (2019)

Superman - The Score presentation (2019)

I know, again!

It is just that good!

In the wake of the HP set I decided to get rid of all bootlegs and complete edits of Indy and SW until Disney decides to get off their ass and do something (meaning hire Mike and Jim, then get back on their ass letting them do their thing), but having now listened to the Indy OSTs again, I want to change that decision - I think I'd rather go on a full Indy abstinence for a possible decade than keep listening ot the Temple and Crusade OSTs.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

In the wake of the HP set I decided to get rid of all bootlegs and complete edits of Indy and SW until Disney decides to get off their ass and do something (meaning hire Mike and Jim, then get back on their ass letting them do their thing), but having now listened to the Indy OSTs again, I want to change that decision - I think I'd rather go on a full Indy abstinence for a possible decade than keep listening ot the Temple and Crusade OSTs.

I feel your pain if you don't have the DCC release!

Temple and Crusade don't have DCC releases and I wouldn't use them either - the goal was to get back to the way JW originally presented them.