What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

15 hours ago, Richard said:

I like track 17

#Sail away, away. Ripples never come back# :lol:

Williams' own cue title was originally Rialto Ripples, a nod to George Gerwshin's Rialto Ripples Rag.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Mother and Daughter by John Williams (arr. The Illustrious Jerry)

Copyright infringement!  I'm alerting Williams' legal team!

The Departed by Howard Shore: Few would have thought to score a film about a cop infiltrating Boston Irish mob with a tango but Scorsese and Shore chose it to illustrate the constant deadly dance of identities as the main protagonist and antagonist slowly circle around each other throughout the film. Shore's score is written mainly for guitars and orchestra starting with the quirky forcefully rhythmic tango tune that functions as the main theme and forms the backbone of the entire work and most of the music is indeed comprised of acoustic and electric guitar work that is often simple but very effective and establishes a distinct mood from the get-go. And while the main theme would have certainly been enough for this kind of short score, Shore introduces additional material exemplified by the lyrical and almost mournful Spanish flavoured Madolyn and quietly anguished Billy's Theme that appear throughout the album. One of my favourite Shore scores outside his Middle-earth fare and as far as possible from that particular sound and with a perfectly compiled album listening experience.

The Amazing Spider-Man by James Horner: This is a really terrific superhero score which has actually gotten better with time.

Rebecca by Christopher Gunning: Such a beautiful old-fashioned orchestral score oozing class and boasting some of Gunning's most lyrical dramatic themes.

Dances With Wolves by John Barry (OST)

Probably John Barry's best score, and he's really solidified himself as one of my favourite film composers. Dances With Wolves is so different compared to, say, Out of Africa and the Bond series, so it's certainly an eye opening (and ear opening!) experience. Buffalo Hunt is some next level work, and there are many memorable themes.

Diamonds Are Forever by John Barry (With Bonus Tracks)

As I try to get in as much Barry as I can these past few months using the local library's repertoire, Diamonds Are Forever doesn't do anything that sets it apart from the other 007 scores in a way that Thunderball and On Her Majesty's Secret Service do, but I must say that the additional and alternate cues, as well as the source music, had me dancing a little. Otherwise, the best moments remain as the pre-existing themes. 

The Pillars of the Earth by Trevor Jones

Pretty much sounds like your typical "epic" television score, but perhaps with a little more variety. Not entirely captivating.

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial by John Williams (La La Land Records) (CD 1: The Film Score Presentation)

Yep. Still a practically perfect score and an A+ release. Once more, The Rescue and Bike Chase, The Departure and the End Credits is the greatest back-to back-to back finale in film score history.

Robin Hood by Geogre Bruns (Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection)

Charming, in a classic Bruns sort of way. Perhaps the best way to put it is "ooh da lally!". There was a neat little fanfare for King Richard, I believe, and a hilariously, um, childish/cute/innocent (in a good way) overture. And of course, there's an overarching medieval sound that I feel Bruns really got down. Great expansion.

The Book Thief by John Williams 

The concert suite propels this score into excellence, and it's wonderfully classical at times, with Williams embracing some very unique moods. It's a real gem of a score, and it reminds me of what a heck of a decade it's been for Williams, especially in the early years with Lincoln, War Horse, The Adventures of Tintin, and The Book Thief, just to name a few. One of Williams best timespans. The Book Thief is a reflection of this.

10 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Dances With Wolves by John Barry (OST)

Probably John Barry's best score, and he's really solidified himself as one of my favourite film composers. Dances With Wolves is so different compared to, say, Out of Africa and the Bond series, so it's certainly an eye opening (and ear opening!) experience. Buffalo Hunt is some next level work, and there are many memorable themes.

It's a great score. IMO it has strong similarities with Out of Africa.

44 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I suppose, but at the same time I feel it's so much more daring. Does anyone know if the LLL expanded set is a good release (not that I doubt it)?

I only know that the earlier expansion, with the same cover art as the OST, contains more than enough music and is quite inexpensive.

46 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I suppose, but at the same time I feel it's so much more daring. Does anyone know if the LLL expanded set is a good release (not that I doubt it)?

The LLL edition of Dances with Wolves is a must-have, IMO.  The main program is amazing from start to finish, and there's a super comprehensive selection of bonus tracks afterwards that are nice to have (though, I don't personally listen to them that often, other than the album version of Buffalo Hunt)

I know, every people in this forum will say they did'nt love that movie.

I did love this movie and also the soundtrack.

So f*** you!!!

image.png

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoy the movie quite a bit.  Some real janky parts, but it's an enjoyable ride.  The nuclear test site scene is legitimately great!

I enjoyed that time when there was an Indiana Jones forum on JWFan with a massive sprawling multi-thread discussion of the box set. I might be able to revisit the movie someday and enjoy it strictly out of nostalgia for that period.

I got Intrada's old version of 'Son of the Morning Star' dirt-cheap, so i bagged it and happen to enjoy it quite a lot. The elegy approach (Safan must have had Vaughan-Williams on rotation prior to writing it) seems, remarkably enough, to anticipate many later mournful big drama scores by Williams, Horner, Zimmer et al. (it was written in 1991). It's a very attractive piece of writing, not overly complicated but assured in its handling of the big string section. Recommended.

How does the original programme play as compared to the new expanded set?

Thanks for recommending this, by the way. I'm really enjoying it.

Karol

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

In an unusual way, the ascending three-note motif for the skull, kind of mirrors the descending three-note motif, for The Ark.

The Skull theme has three elements really (listen to the Call of the Crystal concert suite below), the repeating "Call of the Crystal" three-note pulse (0:00-0:17), the main melody which is an ominous McGuffin theme (very B-movie sci-fi feeling!) (0:18-1:14) and the third (1:21-2:26) which is a lyrical more wistful theme usually voiced by the woodwinds that seems to speak of the otherworldly beauty or eerie wonder or ancient civilization which also feels a lot like the Medallion theme that is connected and complemented to the Ark theme. McGuffin's have clearly their own musical language in Williams' ears. :) 

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Skull theme has three elements really, the repeating "Call of the Crystal" three-note pulse, the main melody which is an ominous McGuffin theme (very B-movie sci-fi feeling!) and the third which is a lyrical more wistful theme usually voiced by the woodwinds that seems to speak of the otherworldly beauty or ancient civilization which also feels a lot like the Medallion theme that is connected and complemented to the Ark theme. McGuffin's have clearly their own musical language in Williams' ears. :) 

The skull theme (or themes), while not exactly an earworm like Ark's theme, is probably a single most impressively developed thematic element in any Indy score. It's fantastic stuff.

Karol

:music: Mission: Impossible by Danny Elfman. This album just never gets old. This score is a stroke of genius and a most colourful way to reimagine what could be perceived a bit of a genre cliché. Now this is how you do it - it is both exactly what you'd expect and absolutely nothing like it and the same time.

Karol