What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Lost World by John Williams

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose three John Williams scores to save from being thrown into a bonfire, this would be one of said three. 

The Relic by John Debney

On 6/5/2019 at 12:18 AM, The Original said:

The main title track, Mothra's Song and Rebirth are pretty good.

Might as well just listen to Ifukube and Koseki’s original compositions.

Whoever lifted the heavy duties on this (it's McCreary's fourth in a row), they did better than on Godzilla. An agreeably impish theme - curiously recalling Hans Zimmer's more melodic work - and underscore that might not be exactly top drawer (often it's a slave to the images, like a lot of those Scream thriller scores from the 90's) but still has some deft textures and ideas going on (Joe Renzetti's original score isn't really quoted until the end credits, where it gets that weird-if-fitting Morricone giallo treatment). 

Cut it down to 30 minutes and you have a pretty satisfying new thriller score, department murderous dolls. With its allusions to 80's scores and composers (there's even a bit of 'Link' channeled here and a lot of coarse synth work) it might be best suited to fans of the shoulder pad decade.

:music: The Iron Will by Joel McNeely. I'm not sure whether I should relish the big nostalgic big orchestral extravaganza that McNeely is serving us or weep over all the shameless lifts from other, and more distinctive, scores. It's a fun listen on the expanded Intrada album... but somewhat empty too. Competent and pushing all the right buttons but painfully predictable. Modern scores are guilty of rehashing the same old drums and ostinato tropes all the time but the music of old had its own set of clichés. Was it a classier back then? I don't really know.

Karol

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, that's damn good!

It's good, just really repetitive in places. You really need to love this theme. 

Karol

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

Bram Stoker's Dracula (LLL set) by Wojciech Kilar

Williams on Williams the Classic Spielberg Scores by John Williams

Capricorn One by Jerry Goldsmith

The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

20 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So what do you think of the Kilar expansion then, @Incanus? It certainly does upgrade the sound.

Karol

Yes the sound is improved certainly and there are some excellent pieces among the unreleased and composer's original intentions but I have to give this one a few more whirls before I can fully make up my mind. Kilar's minimalistic repetitive style is very much on display here which at times feels overly simplistic in its effect especially when the same figure is repeated for minutes on end but the love theme gets a wonderful workout throughout now and who can resist those whispered chants of omne phantasma, sanguis vita est and draco nequissime adiuro te. ;) 

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yes the sound is improved certainly and there are some excellent pieces among the unreleased and composer's original intentions but I have to give this one a few more whirls before I can fully make up my mind. Kilar's minimalistic repetitive style is very much on display here which at times feels overly simplistic in its effect especially when the same figure is repeated for minutes on end but the love theme gets a wonderful workout throughout now and who can resist those whispered chants of omne phantasma, sanguis vita est and draco nequissime adiuro te. ;) 

Yeah this release feels more like a toolbox to create your own personalised playlist. It's not really a score you want to experience in its entirety as it consists of the same 7-8 pieces recorded/orchestrated in different ways. I actually find the unused love story related pieces to be most interesting additions.

Karol

Monsignor (2019 Intrada release) by John Williams: While the new music isn't that much of a revelation, being variations on the main theme, I really love this new presentation. Kudos to Mike Matessino for another stellar John Williams release!

Catching up on the past week or so...

Avengers: Infinity War by Alan Silvestri (Digital Release Album)

Some of the heaviest music to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it's extremely well done. Filled with pathos and heroic callbacks, it may very well be the best of its kind.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice by Hans Zimmer and Co.

Man of Steel by Hans Zimmer and Co.

Between the two, there's a bit more character and interesting material compared to other Zimmer scores, and I find them a bit more bearable than most might. There was some really nice Stradivarius on the latter. Otherwise they're not all that stimulating. 

Dunkirk by Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch & Lorne Balfe

Better impressions than my first listen, mostly because of how good it was in the film. Variation 15, based off Elgar's Nimrod, is very good. The rest tends to be noisy.

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman

One of my favourite Newman scores, and one I often revisit. Some of his best work IMO.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly by Ennio Morricone

As always, unforgettable. This time around, with my own copy too, I really enjoyed the solemnity and remembrance in The Death of a Soldier. I could have The Ecstasy of Gold, Il Buono, Il Brutto et Il Cattivo, and Il Triello on repeat for days. 

Batman by Danny Elfman

An all-time favourite. There is some interesting development when the Batman theme "takes off" that harkens forward to Powell's Solo, namely Corellia Chase, something I just noticed this time around. An enjoyable and well-rounded album. And Descent Into Mystery is just...oh!

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by Alexandre Desplat

Absolutely gorgeous. Very much of the same DNA as 2017's The Shape of Water. Some delightful orchestrations and instrumentation. A definite gem.

Cars by Randy Newman

Spectre by Thomas Newman

Creed II by Ludwig Göransson

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

The Hunt for Red October by Basil Poledouris

Spider-man: Homecoming by Michael Giacchino

Jaws by John Williams

Toy Story by Randy Newman (Walt Disney Legacy Collection)

Perhaps Newman's best Disney project. Some definite highlights include Opening, Andy's Birthday Party to Surpise Present (a wonderful sequence from tracks 7-11, headlined by the march of the toy army men), Buzz Flies, and The Rescue Pt. 1 to To Infinity and Beyond (another fantastic 6 cue stretch from tracks 43-48). Newman's songs for the film have become a trademark, and are always good to revisit. All in all an easy and fun listening experience. 

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Toy Story by Randy Newman (Walt Disney Legacy Collection)

Perhaps Newman's best Disney project. Some definite highlights include Opening, Andy's Birthday Party to Surpise Present (a wonderful sequence from tracks 7-11, headlined by the march of the toy army men), Buzz Flies, and The Rescue Pt. 1 to To Infinity and Beyond (another fantastic 6 cue stretch from tracks 43-48). Newman's songs for the film have become a trademark, and are always good to revisit. All in all an easy and fun listening experience. 

Interesting, Jerry. I once had the OST, but found it disappointing. Would you say this Legacy edition contains more highlights?

Agreeably waltzy/chirpy - with over 60 tracks it takes the whole brevity thing too far but as album of entertaining vignettes on a handful of tunes it's the most tuneful tv soundtrack in some time.

:music: Vice by Nicholas Britell. Certainly one of the best drama scores in recent memory. Very prominent in the film and a pretty solid album too. This is the kind of score I wish Thomas Newman would give us.

Karol

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

Monsignor by John Williams

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of Ennio Morricone

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

Listening right now to the 1995 Rhino Deluxe Edition of The Wizard of Oz for the first time. What a delight. I mean, don't get me wrong, I wish we could send modern recording/mixing equipment and personnel into a time machine to record the proceedings themselves; the 1939 mono recordings have a certain sentimental charm, but it'd be great to also be able to enjoy all the detail, spatial separation, and fidelity you get nowadays. But whatevs - it's still great music, and it's wonderful that Rhino put out such a comprehensive release. The liner notes are great.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Listening right now to the 1995 Rhino Deluxe Edition of The Wizard of Oz for the first time. What a delight. I mean, don't get me wrong, I wish we could send modern recording/mixing equipment and personnel into a time machine to record the proceedings themselves; the 1939 mono recordings have a certain sentimental charm, but it'd be great to also be able to enjoy all the detail, spatial separation, and fidelity you get nowadays. But whatevs - it's still great music, and it's wonderful that Rhino put out such a comprehensive release. The liner notes are great.

I love that statement of the theme at 0:40 of the Poppies/Optimistic Voices video.

19 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Oh wow, thanks for this! Gonna have some fun with this fellow's YouTube channel. (Inevitably, I'm going to find myself thirsty for similar treatment of all the songs and score, but I just can't help myself!) EDIT: Also just discovered the 1998 "Songs and Story of The Wizard of Oz" album that includes stereo presentations of some of the music. Might have to check that out. I'm always struck by how much better an orchestral recording sounds in stereo, even with absolutely no other changes to the sound. It's kinda nuts.

Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

Bram Stoker's Dracula by Wojciech Kilar

Apollo 13 by James Horner: 1995 was a very good and prolific year for Horner and I would consider both this and Braveheart to be classics among his works.