Jump to content

What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 42.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • crocodile

    4176

  • Incanus

    3775

  • Jay

    2325

  • #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal

    2300

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Adventures of Tintin and War Horse. 2011 was an excellent year for John Williams fans. Both albums are hugely enjoyable.   Karol

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (CR) by Howard Shore   Damn, is this shit good. I've waxed enough poetic about these scores, but this time, I'm especially struck by how FOTR works as a mood

Elmer Bernstein - The Unused Scores   This set spans three Bernstein rejections, starting in 1985 - probably his first - to 1995, when he already became notorious for being thrown off as muc

The Help - Thomas Newman

 

Almost the same score as Saving Mr Banks or The Judge, quirky moments for guitars and banjos and Newman's unusual instruments, mixed with atmospheric pianos and moments of great drama for strings. However, much like these two other scores, it has all the ingredients of Newman's great scores of the 90s and 2000s that I love (The Shawshank Redemption, The Horse Whisperer, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Angels in America, Finding Nemo, etc), but not the "magic", that Newman touch that made his scores so great and emotional.

 

Still, there's a few excellent and dramatic moments, maybe more than either Saving Mr. Banks or The Judge, for me to put on a Thomas Newman highlights playlist.

 

3,5/5

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Help - Thomas Newman

 

Almost the same score as Saving Mr Banks or The Judge, quirky moments for guitars and banjos and Newman's unusual instruments, mixed with atmospheric pianos and moments of great drama for strings. However, much like these two other scores, it has all the ingredients of Newman's great scores of the 90s and 2000s that I love (The Shawshank Redemption, The Horse Whisperer, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Angels in America, Finding Nemo, etc), but not the "magic", that Newman touch that made his scores so great and emotional.

 

Still, there's a few excellent and dramatic moments, maybe more than either Saving Mr. Banks or The Judge, for me to put on a Thomas Newman highlights playlist.

 

3,5/5

 

I absolutely adore the themes of Saving Mr Banks, beautiful music. Do people find them derivative of other Newman scores?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Music for Ingmar Bergman films, by Erik Nordgren. Contains newly arranged (the original parts were lost) of 'Smile of a Summer Night', 'Wild Strawberries' and so on. For a style idiomatically very different from Hollywood it's well worth a listen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, publicist said:

 

Music for Ingmar Bergman films, by Erik Nordgren. Contains newly arranged (the original parts were lost) of 'Smile of a Summer Night', 'Wild Strawberries' and so on. For a style idiomatically very different from Hollywood it's well worth a listen.

Interesting. Is this a new album?

 

Karol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stu Phillips, original Galactica -Saga of a Star World, Living Legend/War of the Gods and Buck Rogers (Movie/Pilot)

 

and being that time of year, Miracle on 34th Street -Bruce Broughton

 

as is the case when I've not listened to it in a while, a shiver and stir during "Case Dismissed", from about 1.07 -it's the build up closer to it, the swirl upwards 1.17 to 1.23. Also quite keen on "Dorey's Plea" and "Bellevue Carol". Does the job required and is entirely charming in its way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 3:12 AM, crocodile said:

media.nl?id=7258&c=ACCT67745&h=bee7590a9

 

Karol

 

On 3/6/2018 at 5:29 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also nice. Now...any chance of John Barry's rejected score being released?

 

 

 

On 3/14/2018 at 5:49 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Clash of the Titans by Laurence Rosenthal

 

Karol

 

On 3/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nice.

Is John Barry's rejected score available?

 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:00 AM, crocodile said:

According to the liner notes, they rejected him based on demos.

 

Karol

 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

 

Clash of the Titans

 

45 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I take it that CLASH OF THE TITANS is the Rosenthal score? 

Is the John Barry rejected score available?

 

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, I think you ask this question every single time. 😂

 

Karol

 

42 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...and I'll ask it, again, that's the beauty of it :lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

and being that time of year, Miracle on 34th Street -Bruce Broughton

 

as is the case when I've not listened to it in a while, a shiver and stir during "Case Dismissed", from about 1.07 -it's the build up closer to it, the swirl upwards 1.17 to 1.23. Also quite keen on "Dorey's Plea" and "Bellevue Carol". Does the job required and is entirely charming in its way. 

 

Yes!  What a classic.

 

Coincidentally, this past Sunday we sang an Advent hymn that really reminded me of Bellevue Carol.

 

Do you hear similarity?  Not like a copy, just a bit similar.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Yes!  What a classic.

 

Coincidentally, this past Sunday we sang an Advent hymn that really reminded me of Bellevue Carol.

 

Do you hear similarity?  Not like a copy, just a bit similar.

 

 

 

Absolutely hear a similarity, in fact the very start of it sounds exactly like Broughton's track. Yes, I'd say the two are very similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, publicist said:

Thor's favourite 2019 score is out, finally.

So what do you think? I actually really like it. I think at 40 minutes it makes a pretty pleasant programme.

 

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Alex North. I genuinely think this might be one of the best film scores of all time. A magnificent achievement. 

 

Karol

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crocodile said:

So what do you think? I actually really like it. I think at 40 minutes it makes a pretty pleasant programme.

 

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Alex North. I genuinely think this might be one of the best film scores of all time. A magnificent achievement. 

 

I did a mini-review back in October. It sure is 'Le Village Par Deux', thematically, but JNH found - with a very stripped down palette of musical gestures - a good middle ground between a solid thematic base and the Richter-like minimalism en vogue these days. It's no *masterpiece* but a very solid piece of score.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the excellent "James Horner for Dummies" bestseller, I now own a respectable basic CD collection of James Horner and so, I have ahead of me, hours an hours of magical moments!
 

Already on my wishlist for the january order: the Expansion of Apollo 13!
 

IMG_3079.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

I got that just for Sing, Sing, Sing.

 

That's indeet the highlight, and the best recording since Benny Goodman's 1937 "original", but the others are also great. Especially Shout and Feel it, a Count Basie arrangement that only exists in a crappy sounding broadcast recording.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You were able to sit still listening to all that magnificence? 

I had not much choice but to sit still. ;) Anyway, on my way back now and listening to...

 

The Haunting

The Fellowship of the Ring

 

Karol

Link to post
Share on other sites

This time of year is always nostalgic for me when it comes to music. Every December I catch up on the scores of the past year, with much thanks to the FYC season making music available for me to download and listen to. I have many fond memories of discovering hidden gems, as well as the anticipation of the next Star Wars score. For these reasons I tend to listen to more scores in the winter.I haven't been able to sit down and listen to a full score in months, so it's been nice getting back to this as I scrap around my schedule to get however much "me time" I can. Fortunately it's easy to "multitask" while listening to music, so I've gotten a lot of work done whilst listening to:

 

A Hidden Life by James Newton Howard

Twice now, and the best one I've heard yet. Heart-achingly beautiful string passages, a memorable theme, and coherent classical additives. Unfortunate that it may not be Oscar-eligible, because it's certainly worthy.

 

1917 by Thomas Newman

Pretty much the status quo I expected, save for a handful of keeper tracks- Night Window, Devons to Mackenzie mainly.

 

Vice by Nicholas Britell

If Beale Street Could Talk by Nicholas Britell

Two of my favourite discoveries of last year. I reccomend both!

 

Darkest Hour by Dario Marianelli

Pride and Prejudice by Dario Marianelli

Two personal fancies. Good to return to as I ease myself back into my listening routine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.