What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

THE STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN OF EASTWICK😄

BABEL FYC promo

Upon listening to this,one must presume it won Best Score for the material Santaolla DIDNT write.(?)

Btw I have this FYC for sale or trade on Marketplace( if you collect these things, it only contains the GS music)

Inspired by a recent discussion on the Video Game Music thread, I decided to listen to Broughton's Heart of Darkness.

It's a great score, well orchestrated and well played by the Sinfonia of London, in a fine album that it isn't much long, just the necessary amount.

However, I don't know the game, but for a score called Heart of Darkness.... There isn't that much darkness at all. Most of the score is just playful and happy, without a hint of darkness at all.

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

However, I don't know the game, but for a score called Heart of Darkness.... There isn't that much darkness at all. Most of the score is just playful and happy, without a hint of darkness at all.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Joseph Conrad, although I was aware of the game/score for years before I'd ever heard of the Conrad. I probably should listen to it again as well, because my CD always had a problem where it would jump back to an earlier track at some point instead of switching to the next one (one of many problems with the "enhanced CD" format, I expect), so I probably never became familiar with a good portion of it. And I've barely played it since I converted all my CDs to FLACs years ago.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've not been off since Vienna concert in January. I've been working a lot on my own which is stressful. And I miss my family who live abroad. I am expected to fly home in two weeks but given how things are going... And some other small things that don't seem to go anywhere. I just feel completely exhausted. My GP suggested that maybe I should consider antidepressants... 

In other words, pretty much like everyone else at the moment. ;)

Karol

I've never been near an antidepressant, in my life (except to administer them to other people).

I know it's hard, but if you can stave off them, then more power to you.

I'm on antidepressant since Irma hurricane. It was hard to find the right one for me, but now it's perfect.

Listening to the princess bride was a joke, btw.

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You can't have a " great " score if more than 9ne composer works on it!😉

More than one? or more than 9?

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm on antidepressant since Irma hurricane. It was hard to find the right one for me, but now it's perfect.

Yes, it's a bit of a crap shoot, at first. SSRI? MAOI? Tryciclic?

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

Listening to the princess bride was a joke, btw.

As you wish.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, it's a bit of a crap shoot, at first. SSRI? MAOI? Tryciclic?

It's very hard to get used in the firsts weeks and like I said I tried 5-6 different molecules until I found one with less negative effects. The worse negative effects, it's that it can get you more irritable and in my case, some molecules gave me heavy sweating. Now I'm on a simple SSRI.

Today's program: Al Silvestri!

Polar Express (the expanded score I found on the net)

Back to the Future III expanded

Sometimes, film music is the closest remedy!

(Again, kidding, I've been down that particular road, but with less success finding the exit. I guess being German complicates everything...) Be well, Bespin! :wave:

:music: The Amazing Spider-Man by James Horner. It might not necessarily be the greatest thing ever but at least you get a sense you're in a hands of someone who knows what they're doing. So many of those superhero scores don't really sound like anything at all but Horner managed to fulfil both the requirements of the modern blockbusters as well as sneak in some human emotion into this tentpole extravaganza. Unlike many of these things, this score really is centred on characters and their relationship and it actually feels like it goes somewhere dramatically. What's interesting, the majority of music is very intimate and personal which is quite unusual. The obligatory heroic main theme is actually very catchy, and well developed throughout, and I'm surprised they didn't keep it for the sequel. I've seen this film only once and the music almost made it good. Say what you want about where it ranks among Horner's other works, but this score is an example of his masterful storytelling abilities. He knew how to apply modern trends with skill and taste beyond most of his colleagues' capabilities. For all his idiosyncrasies, he was really a treasure.

Karol

Sleeping Beauty - George Bruns

The songs are rather disposable (save for "Once Upon a Dream"), but Bruns does an excellent job at weaving in melodies from Tchaikovsky's ballet in the score. Tchaikovsky's harsher musical lines are softened and more digestible in Bruns' score, but it fits with the storytelling and visuals.

It's wall to wall Mickey Mousing though, so it gets wearisome after the first 15 minutes. A condensed 30 minute album would've eliminated a lot of the filler.

I listen to the re-recording of John Barry's "Born Free".  I understand the reviews I read mentionning the recording was lacking a bit of the lush and life of the original recording, so I added my two cents... some stereo widening, it does the job pretty well!

I would never give such a treatment for a John Wiliams score, but I don't know, I think John Barry's style of writing for this kind of 60's works, needs that "warmer" enveloppe.

R-10252599-1494155246-7060.jpeg.jpg

Stargate - David Arnold

What are the odds of, in this 21st century, a young director asks for his young composer an epic orchestral score, filled with themes and grandiose orchestrations? The same as me winning the lottery? Or maybe the same as Scarlett Johannsson asking me to go on a date with her in Las Vegas?

Thank goodness these things (orchestral scores, not Scarlett) were way more common in 94, which is why we got this excellent score by Arnold.

GOJIRA - 1954

2014 RE Recording

😊

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Stargate - David Arnold

What are the odds of, in this 21st century, a young director asks for his young composer an epic orchestral score, filled with themes and grandiose orchestrations?

Pretty good actually.

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

THE AVENGERS films
RISE OF THE GUARDIANS.

DAWN ....PLANET OF THE APES

GODZILLA: KOTM

I think their directors are " young"

The Great Alaskan Race by John Koustelinis

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith (Complete)

L'umanoide by Ennio Morricone

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

Little Women by Alexandre Desplat

Jurassic Park by John Williams: This is the score that made me a John Williams fan back in 1993 and even after all these years it still has not lost its magic. I love it!

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Jurassic Park by John Williams: This is the score that made me a John Williams fan back in 1993 and even after all these years it still has not lost its magic. I love it!

Likewise, my first ever soundtrack purchase and still one of my favourite scores.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I love this album.

816SY764S6L._SL1500_.jpg

Took me a bit of digging to realise that was Genius of Hollywood: Volume 2. The first was great so that's already ordered (even though I have pretty much everything already, but it's a great selection)...

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

That looks good but..Does audience nnoise intrude?

Hate hearing idiots cough!😠

Not on the first one as I recall. At least nothing intrusive. Sound and performance are both really good. Great selections too, nice variety.

This is ethno Zimmer done right. No pretense of high drama or half-assed adagios, this is a pure dive into African music, authentic and tuneful (it predates Lion King, and it's obvious someone at Disney fell in love with it). Since this Apartheid story follows the expected clichés of the times - white english boy becoming a man is the main attraction, blacks act as window dressing - it's doubly important that Zimmer ignores the pathos of the story and lets the gives the african chants and percussion the spotlight. 

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Likewise, my first ever soundtrack purchase and still one of my favourite scores.

Took me a bit of digging to realise that was Genius of Hollywood: Volume 2. The first was great so that's already ordered (even though I have pretty much everything already, but it's a great selection)...

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

I love this album.

816SY764S6L._SL1500_.jpg

Brilliantly, on the lossless download from Presto Music, The Age of Innocence is credited to both Elmer and Leonard Bernstein... eye roll lol. Still, great album so far!

Discovering....

John Barry - The Lion in Winter (re-recording)

42 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Discovering....

John Barry - The Lion in Winter (re-recording)

A bit too choral for me, and I'm not a fan of the middle age music style either. Sorry!

On 7/29/2020 at 1:04 AM, Holko said:

Why waste time on that when they have good definitive actual recordings that can be released someday? Rerecord something that sounds like shit because it's old or the good tapes rotted or there was no budget to do it like the composer really wanted.

Do not get me wrong, I want both. But like a classical symphony with 18 interpretations, I would love that for scores. Get creative, be liberal with the tempo, rubato, etc. Give me Bernstein's Star Wars, Klemperer's Indiana Jones, Boulez's A.I.

Putting aside that I don't understand how you guys keep up with 9 billion rerecordings of the same classical music, I can accept the validity of all of it since obviously Bach or Mozart weren't around to leave definitive self-conducted recordings - but the special thing about film music is that it's film music, it has a definitive primary purpose (being in that one film and supporting it in various ways) and thus has one actual definitive recording (composer-conducted or at least supervised) - the one that was used in there. STAR WARS (the movie) is STAR WARS half because of those takes used in it, written to be played that way, to fit to and around it. I guess I really don't see the point unless because of those reasons mentioned in that quoted comment, or maybe after those original recordings are already properly archived, restored, released and widely available.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

It's my favorite Barry score. I love how stripped down and unadorned it sounds

Exactly!

Yes, yes, @Bespin; to Romāo, you listen!

Fans of Bond, and especially YOLT, probably had a giant "What the f**k?!" moment, when they heard this.

MAIN TITLE, ELEANOR'S ARRIVAL, and WE'RE JUNGLE CREATURES contain passages of unrivalled Barry power and beauty. It's a stonker of a score, and it fully deserved its Oscar.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Putting aside that I don't understand how you guys keep up with 9 billion rerecordings of the same classical music, I can accept the validity of all of it since obviously Bach or Mozart weren't around to leave definitive self-conducted recordings - but the special thing about film music is that it's film music, it has a definitive primary purpose (being in that one film and supporting it in various ways) and thus has one actual definitive recording (composer-conducted or at least supervised) - the one that was used in there. STAR WARS (the movie) is STAR WARS half because of those takes used in it, written to be played that way, to fit to and around it. I guess I really don't see the point unless because of those reasons mentioned in that quoted comment, or maybe after those original recordings are already properly archived, restored, released and widely available.

I agree with most of this. I also care very much about the original recordings, both in film and what the public heard on album for a period. Conan the Barbarian is a case in point. I appreciate that we have a re-recording, but is it superior to the original? Not in any way whatsoever. I am always baffled when I read that it is. That Intrada set is an essential film music purchase, not only because it contains the complete score, alternates and a remastered OST, which is definitely my preferred presentation of every score.

So I would say I agree that all of that is very important, but how cool would it be to have these scores slower or faster or melodramatized, with ritardandos to play up the big moments? I certainly would and could handle at least three recordings of each score I know. It wouldn't even need to be full, make your own choices, like ballet suites.

26 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Conan the Barbarian

Haha, that's exactly what I had in mind with the "not enough budget/time for a good recording", we know Poledouris wasn't satisfied with the original and checking out bits of it, I can definitely see why and am happy to just have the Tadlow Prometheus to listen to. More because of the unevenness, some cues are great, some are just sloppy and sound so small.