What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Good score, the 1th one, but the fucking thing clipped on the main title when the title is meant to appear. Great music editing and selection for a 45 min concept album arrangement, but could definitely use a remaster for better dynamics and no fucking clipping.

20201214_203529.jpg

On 12/14/2020 at 5:18 AM, publicist said:

For a  bit of gender parity, this easy-on-the-ears romantic/folkloristic score by Amelia Warner. It's not unlike JNH's News of the World, actually.

It's pretty, but unremarkable. Like a John Debney rom com score.

Spotify pointed me to her other score for the Mary Shelley film, which also had some nice ideas.

Just now, KK said:

It's pretty, but unremarkable. Like a John Debney rom com score.

Spotify pointed me to her other score for the Mary Shelley, which also had some nice ideas.

Better than Debney, I'd say. More *characteristic*, if you get my drift. But yes, it's a muted triumph..;)

43 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Sounds better than the Silva one too. Quieter, breathes more.

I refuse to listen to it until it's given the " Mattesino treatment";

complete and chronological and remastered in hi-res.

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I refuse to listen to it until it's given the " Mattesino treatment";

complete and chronological and remastered in hi-res.

You might be dead by then. Just enjoy what we've got!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I've never heard it actually. But always wanted too.

Karol

Don't get your hopes up, there's really only one cue that really benefits from the tight mix, which is Monster Storm. And mostly it's because it is an alternate take with half the synth work removed. I'd wait for a proper release, this is really a score that needs modern restoration.

Yesterday after a long time I listened again to Hana-Bi from Joe Hisaishi, and I thought it might be worth a poll about who prefers bis Studio Ghibli scores and who his Takeshi Kitano jakuza movie scores. For myself I am not sure. I admire both.

ab67616d0000b2735e896b33f925b2efeff1643c.jpeg

One of my favourite films (which I had a massive urge to watch tonight but held off because I promised myself I'd only watch it twice a year, it's that good).

Appropriately, I'll open a bottle of red and listen to the score instead.*

*Inadvertently excellent rhyme

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 21.41.24.png

One of my favourite 90s drama scores from Howard. Gorgeous ensemble of strings, woodwinds, piano and solo violin / guitar / mandolin. 

Innocent, wistful and, in parts, heartbreaking. Love it.

Now we need a release of My Girl, from the same year, which is scored in a similar vein

Wow. Really difficult to pick because it all flows by without much interruption. I don't really take notice of which cue is on.

Listen to the opening track. That'll give you a good idea of what's to come.

This was almost 30 years ago but it's exactly the sort of film I'd love Howard to score again. However, saying that, music for these kinds of low-key sentimental dramas isn't what it used to be. This sort of music simply isn't really written anymore.

Plus... any production of this type probably wouldn't be able to afford him anymore.

Jerry Goldsmith - Inchon

Been checking this out since the announcement of the new edition.  The action music is really cool (especially with the funky percussion!) and the children's theme is pretty great.

Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad -  Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond

What a fun album full of fun music.  Some great action writing here!

Nubuo Uematsu, et al - Final Fantasy VII Remake (playlist)

My favorite score of the year continues to impress!  Sephiroth's announcement for Smash made me want to listen to One Winged Angel again, and then from there it was off to just listened to the whole score again :p  Well, a condensed playlist anyway.  Can't wait for the Plus OST coming out soon!

John Williams - War of the Worlds (Complete)

Dunno what made me listen to this this afternoon as I drank my hot cocoa after snowblowing the driveway but it really hit the spot.  I like this score and its complete presentation!

Danny Elfman - Alice in Wonderland (OST)

No idea what made me throw this on either - hadn't listened in years.  But boy, it's a good score!