What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Ludwig Göransson - Creed (OST)

Listened to this last night because I've been loving his work on The Mandalorian.  I had listened to this when it came out after all the hype, and it did nothing for me then.  So now a new listen 5 years later with fresh airs?  Meh, still didn't do anything for me.  And, the main theme reminded me of something I cannot quite place my finger on.  Maybe a japanese video game theme, or an old pop song?  Anybody know what I'm talking about?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ludwig Göransson - Creed (OST)

I recommend trying out the second Creed score if you haven't yet. It definitely has higher highs than the first (i.e. Fight in Moscow, Runnin). I like it quite a bit!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Alexandre Desplat - The Midnight Sky

Shockingly boring

Yeah my first listen was disappointing too. The great theme developed in the first track only appears very rarely. Actually there is no real theme/motif I was able to catch :(

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Alexandre Desplat - The Midnight Sky

Shockingly boring

What a shame. The two preview tracks seems really lovely. But the album is pretty long and that kind of material is hard to sustain for that long. JNH’s News of the World similarly. Lovely but 45 minutes would have been plenty.

I think Desplat could make a great suite for concerts, but the 85 minute album is not full of interesting ideas the whole time, not even close to it.  A big bummer

LONESOME DOVE

In anticipation of rewatching the series on New Years Day!

( btw Poledouris resisted calls to expand the ost cause it is a great listening experience; he didn't want to ruin it )

E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL ( 2002)

Seemed right for a Christmas Eve😊

Independence Day (006 World Records Release, 2000)

This is pretty much nigh impossible to find these days, but I'm such a mad completist for this score like no other, only few would recognise or acknowledge its importance in the history of ID4's commercial and non-commercial releases. The fact is, this release contains alternate takes, mixes and edits that simply aren't present on the OST or the LLL, including the alien motif statement in Nuke Attack or the original edit of the final showdown over Area 51. Sure the latter is pretty much all present to a degree on the LLL, but to ask anyone to edit all that together themselves is just silly and assumes we all have the time and skill for that. I'll need to make multiple copies of this version on USB sticks and HDDs because those CD-Rs only last for so long (good luck to everyone who bought those burn on-demand thingies from Amazon!)

Cinema Paradiso - now with more distance between watching the movie and listening to it than last time, I really really enjoyed this presentation of this great music.

WotW Intrada main program - well on the way to loving it, still on "really like it".

Home Alone 1 - my playlist, LLL main program plus some of the songs and the two more choral carols included. Fantastic.

Home Alone 2 - LLL main program with the traps bit edited down. Pretty good.

FotR, TTT, RotK - my CR edits. Incredible stuff.

That's insane, there's a memorable sequence that that cue is named after.  You weren't paying attention!  If you had, you'd embrace the name!

I just watched the film and i cant remember what scene😅

The cue titles on.this score are like those of AVENGERS- used in recording sessions but not appropriate For an album. Many use a bit if dialog , as a MARKER.

For example, the most dramatic scene in AVENGERS is titled " They called it".

Wtf?.

Ridiculous!

I renamed it " Aftermath".

Soul by Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste

There's some neat textures in here, and the jazz pieces are pretty good, but again, it's lacking a musical through line. And the album presentation is just awful (too long, too many spliced up 90 sec cues). I don't understand why they didn't go with Tom Newman on this one. He could have delivered similarly abstract textural ideas in a much more musically accomplished package. But I guess brand association and the image of "boldness" took priority.

Wonder Woman '84 by Hans Zimmer

Hey, this was fun!

The Midnight Sky by Alexandre Desplat

Very Desplat...to a fault. It's as unfocused and sterile as the film it accompanies. Keep the opening cue and avoid the remaining 90 minutes of over-familiar Desplat piano figures, grating synth/ostinati combos and wearisome suspense chords. Disappointing, to say the least.

."...the album presentation is just awful (too long, too many spliced up 90 sec cues"..

This comment is in violation of board rules:

- it is not permissable to complain about an albums lack of " listenability".

- it is FORBIDDEN to complain about " too many spliced up cues".

You have been warned.

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I just watched the film and i cant remember what scene😅

I can't find the clip on youtube but I thought there was a sequence when he first starts sneaking away to visit Toothless during the dragon training, and every day he would leave the group by saying "see you tomorrow!" to the other trainees instead of hanging out with them.  

Regardless, he says "See you tomorrow" at the very start of this clip as the cue by that name is starting, which is where the name comes from:

I know that Jay. I said they used dialog to mark cues and kept it for the album.

I'm creating cues that reflect the action - so as to better remember them.

For instance " Night Fury " instead of " Did You see that" - another line of dialog.

It

Is

My

Custom

Playlist.

10 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Forbidden? More like discouraged if its incredibly obnoxious and lacking much constructive criticism if you ask me.

I was parodying complaints by Penna and Jay- aimed at me!- for criticizing the GBU playlist.

PARODY.

As I pointed out when it came up, a large amount of tracks on an expanded releases is pretty standard, while a large amount of tracks for an OST album is very much not

I cannot recall another OST album that has over 40 tracks on it (other than video game scores of course).  It was shocking to see the Soul OST had that many tracks

And yes of course all opinions about all soundtrack albums are always welcome

Earthquake this morning. Nothing starts a good day like a good old Earthquake!

Time to make a recap of the 2019-2020 expansions I bought and didn't have quality time to listen them enough!

2019-Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection 

2019-Schinder's List (25th Anniversary Edition)

2019-Saving Private Ryan (20th Anniversary Edition)

2019-Superman: The Movie (40th Anniversary Remastered Edition)

2019-Air Force One

2019-The Great Train Robbery

2019-Apollo 13

2019-Minority Report

2019-Monsignor

2020-The Thing (Remastered)

2020-Total Recall (30th Anniversary Edition)

2020-Dolores Claiborne (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

2020-War of the Worlds

2020-The Land Before Time

2020-Casper

2020-The Rocketeer

2020-Legend of the Fall

2020-The River

2020-Far and Away

Revo - Bravely Default II (Demo gamerip)

Lots of nice new variants of tracks from the original game and a little bit of new material.  Will reserve any further judgement until I hear the OST album for the new score when the game comes out next year!

Jose Serebrier conducing the Philharmonia Orchestra & Philharmonia Voices - John Powell Film Suites, Vol. 1

A very nice, 49 minute album of selections from 9 of Powell's scores.  It's nice to hear some of these familiar tunes in a completely new arrangement, performance, mix, and master.  I'll be listening to this one a bunch in the near future, I can tell.

Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Mitsuto Suzuki, & etc - Final Fantasy VII Remake (Plus OST)

This recently released 4 disc, 5 1/2 hour, 106 track collection of bonus tracks is for the die hard fans only.  It is comprised of various little bits left off the original 8-disc OST album, as well as new edits of many tracks that were on that release, now containing little bits previously edited out.  It doesn't function as a proper album, but I'll be subbing in some of these versions over the original versions and mixing in some of the new tracks as well, into a personal playlist