What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

OMG, I had to put this FLAC in a "BONUS" folder to make sure it don't automatically play at the end of the album! hehe

Yeah it’s pretty bad. If they had just used a classic style performance of the song it would have been great and capped the score off nicely. Sometimes updating things just  doesn’t really work at all. Especially if the rest of the music isn’t especially contemporary. 

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Finding Neverland, Jan A. P. Kaczmarek.

This CD was Lost in my CD chaos for years. Found it this morning in the case of one of my Rock CDs.

Nice music, but in a way pretending to be more interesting than it actually is. Melodies usually following just the underlying and repeating always same keys and chords. I still wonder how it managed to win the Oscar in that year over John Williams' "Sleepers".

Nice thing about the Finding Neverland album is, that it contains about 30% piano arrangements of the score especially created for the album.

And the score worked well in the movie. 

Yames Horner again this morning.  

Apollo 13 (Composer's assembly from the Expanded release [without dialogues!]) :rock:

Avatar (OST, why we don't have an expansion of it yet???)  👽

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's nice, but fluffy and forgettable.

Exactly like, you.... naaaa naaaa na na, exactly like you!!!

Sorry, I don't know why it remembered me this old jazzy song! :P

And why not???

Star Wars '77 (as if it was released on a single album, using the 1993 Anthology boxset versions)

1. Main Title
  2. The Desert, The Robot Auction
  3. The Princess Appears
  4. Inner City
  5. Cantina Band
  6. Mouse Robot, Blasting Off
  7. Ben's Death, TIE Fighter Attack
  8. Princess Leia's Theme
  9. The Last Battle
  10. The Throne Room, End Titles

Empire Strikes Back (as if it was released on a real single album, not in the horrible demo order it was first issued on LP, using of course, the 2015 Sony remastered versions)

1. Star Wars (Main Theme)
  2. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
  3. The Asteroid Field
  4. Yoda's Theme
  5. Han Solo and the Princess
  6. The Training of a Jedi Knight
  7. Yoda and the Force
  8. Lando's Palace
  9. The Duel
  10. Finale

Return of the Jedi (the Demastered version, minus Lapti Nek, because there are days when we don't want to hear that disco song!)

1. Main Title (The Main Story Continues)
  2. Han Solo Returns (At The Court Of Jabba The Hutt)
  3. The Return Of The Jedi
  4. The Emperor
  5. Rebel Briefing
  6. Parade Of The Ewoks
  7. Luke And Leia
  8. Into The Trap
  9. The Forest Battle
  10. Ewok Celebration & Finale

I picked Spielberg / Williams III (still fantastic), and The Patriot's OST, mostly because I've never listened to it. And unfortunately the strongest impression I got was that it could use a much better mix and a normal order with for example an actual battle buildup at the end instead of pieces blown all over randomly. Has some good stuff like Tavington's Trap which nicely foreshadows JW's 2000s action writing, but based on this OST it doesn't have much that'd make me want to come back to it anytime soon. What the hell is going on in the middle of Facing the British Lines?

Spielberg/Williams collab, but the 20-tracks "Highlights" LP program, using my compressed FLACs of the old recordings to assure they play at the same level than the newer ones.

PERFECT!

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-4-Steven-Spielberg-The-Ultimate-Collection-Highlights/release/11169538

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager

Ended up listening to this whole thing again when I initially just started it when I wanted something on and I thought I'd only be at the computer for a short while.  Woops.  Still great!

John Williams - The Lost World (complete)

Needed another loud score while snowblowing this morning.  This was perfect.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Schindler's List by John Williams

(Pub is gonna hate this :P)

My dear, i'm not even remotely moved to such strong feelings, but i still deny your point that it's not prettied up. It's in a nutshell, together with Empire of the Sun a classic example of Spielberg using Williams as a softener to counter his more harsh impulses as a filmmaker.

Ironically, it's popcorn fare like War of the Worlds where the two get in sync in regards to these impulses, it's a harsh movie (sans third act) and very much a harsh, uncompromising score. But the pleading 'liberal' stuff...let's say i'm thankful he didn't do Bridge of Spies.

And i give it to Schindler that at least it is gentle and at no point as offensive as the Give us free scene in 'Amistad', which was truly revolting.

I've never participated in this "Now Playing" thread (or its 'new scores' equivalent) in its over 800 pages(!). Is it OK to just post soundtrack covers like we do on FSM, or are we required to post comments about them as well?

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (Complete)

Ah, much better

Michael Giacchino - Zootopia

Wow!  I never cared about this score before at all.  I tried it a few times and it just went in one ear and the out the other.  But we watched the film last weekend and my copy of the CD was on the pile of stuff to listen to so I just listened and it all finally clicked for me.  This is a fun score with nice themes!  One track even apes a theme from LOST

9 hours ago, publicist said:

My dear, i'm not even remotely moved to such strong feelings, but i still deny your point that it's not prettied up. It's in a nutshell, together with Empire of the Sun a classic example of Spielberg using Williams as a softener to counter his more harsh impulses as a filmmaker.

I agree with you. I just happen to think that it works ;)

And this is coming from someone who has very little patience for the last act of Amistad's score.

8 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Kilar should have scored Schindler's List. His Exodus music in the trailer felt more authentic.

That's probably true. But alas, then we wouldn't have Williams' score!

James Newton Howard - Space Jam (OST)

I don't remember what made me want to buy this OST album when I started collecting film music in the mid 90s, but I did, and I probably haven't listened to this since then!  I actually quite liked it, though!  The guitar based music for the Monstars was fun, and there was some nice references to classic cartoon music; I noticed a riff on Powerhouse, the Oriental Riff, and whatever that funeral march thingy is called

Fun, wacky score, though the 46 minute OST album being presented as 25 tracks more than half of which are under 2 minutes long didn't do it any favors.

The packaging is hilarious because there's no imagery of any Looney Tunes characters or Jordan on the outside, so it's just a starscape on the back and just a starscape with the film's logo on the front.  I guess they didn't want confused customers to buy the wrong album in Strawberries when they wanted the song compilation one.  The inside has exactly one picture of Jordan solo and exactly 1 picture of Jordan with the tunes and that's it.

Danny Elfman - Men In Black II (OST album)

WOW!  I picked this up at an Amoeba Records I think (it's got a punch-out hole in it), I don't know if I ever actually checked it out at the time it came out; This might have been my first listen to the score at all, actually!

I kinda loved it.  It's kind of like a souped up, but also better version of the first score.  Largely my takeaway was that it's more fun, the Worm Lounge tracks in particular were a blast and the whole album just flew by being a nice listen the whole time

Well, until 2 songs at the end after the score program is over.  Meh

Hans Zimmer - The Peacemaker (OST)

The last of the great run of awesome 90s Zimmer action scores.  It's not as good as the ones before it (Drop Zone, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow, The Rock) but it's still good.  And I even like that he combined the highlights into just 5 long tracks!  Track 4 has a part that was like the Crimson Tide theme through a The Rock filter and it was pretty cool.

I saw one thing in the booklet that boggled my mind

peacemaker1020.jpg

Image result for the what meme

R-2705875-1526682245-7459.jpeg.jpg

(As mentioned elsewhere, my Morricone collection exploded in size after his death. From having about 40 titles to 114 at the present time (and probably sampling some 350 titles in the months since). Just a handful physical that I already owned, the rest digital. Now I just need to familiarize myself properly with all this lovely stuff.)

David Arnold & Kevin Kiner - Wing Commander

Ha!  I have not listened to this album in 20+ years.  I had completely forgotten that the main theme is a complete rip off of one of one-off melodies from Independence Day!  I don't know if a single note is even changed from it.  It's fine though, it leads to a fun album, 37 minutes of action music more or less.  It's fun.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hans Zimmer - The Peacemaker (OST)

The last of the great run of awesome 90s Zimmer action scores.  It's not as good as the ones before it (Drop Zone, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow, The Rock) but it's still good.  

It's much more entertaining (varied) than Crimson Tide, which hasn't got any interesting material apart from the hymnal stuff.