What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Continuing the arachnid theme, albeit more metaphorical, gave The Spider (Søren Hyldgaard) and Spider (Howard Shore) a spin. Hyldgaard's effort is somewhere between Bernard Herrmann and Jerry Goldsmith, but without directly referencing either, but makes for a fine, orchestral thriller score, albeit a touch on the long side. Very sadly he passed in 2018, but I highly commend his music; a generous compilation entitled Eye of the Eagle is a great introduction to his works.

Indeed. That's a must-have compilation!

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters by 🐻 McCreary

Better than I remembered, with some terrific action writing. 

I've listen to that one quite recently and found it better outside the movie. My personal favourite of the three scores of the Monsterverse.

You couldn't have written his name in a better way. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters by 🐻 McCreary

Better than I remembered, with some terrific action writing. 

I tried really hard to like this (McCreary is worth the effort most of the time) but I couldn't quite get a handle on it, but a good excuse to give it another listen. Now on GI Jane by Trevor Jones (think it's a promo or whatever). Not exactly Jones at his most interesting, but not bad so far...

7 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Now on GI Jane by Trevor Jones (think it's a promo or whatever). Not exactly Jones at his most interesting, but not bad so far...

It's Jones doing the Zimmer power anthem style. Love it!

6 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Logan's Run by Jerry Goldsmith

It's nice but strange, definitely an unusual Goldsmith's score. Think I'll have to listen to that one again.

The orchestral sections later on are readily enjoyable, but the synth only early sections take a bit of getting used to. I've never fully warmed to it for that reason, but the way it's written is certainly extremely effective.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's Jones doing the Zimmer power anthem style. Love it!

Haha yeah! I actually posted after the first couple of tracks and it's got more interesting since then... bit of a Cliffhanger vibe at times, but not that surprising. Plus an almost obligatory hint of Last of the Mohicans.

8 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The orchestral sections later on are readily enjoyable, but the synth only early sections take a bit of getting used to. I've never fully warmed to it for that reason, but the way it's written is certainly extremely effective.

Yeah, at the beginning I was like "OMG, what's that?" but then it came back to something more familiar. To me it's a bit the Heartbeeps of Goldsmith, need few times to be fine with it.

37 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Logan's Run by Jerry Goldsmith

It's nice but strange, definitely an unusual Goldsmith's score. Think I'll have to listen to that one again.

It's definitely top-10 70s Jerry, for me.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, publicist said:

It should be mentioned, though, that it's just a second hand copy of 'The Imitation Game' and 'A Beautiful Mind', the first so obviously a template that it makes you wonder how that worked. Both movies came out around the same time.

Well, The Imitation Game itself is just built on the typical Desplat post-minimalist mode anyway, so I doubt that it's much of a reference. I think Jóhannsson's score draws both broadly and specifically from Desplat/Richter/Korzeniowski (maybe a bit of a stretch) and the general feel-good Icelandic minimalist sound post-Sigur Rós.

I still like it though. It's not at all original, and it's certainly among his lesser works (he himself confessed that it's not the kind of thing he enjoyed doing), but it does the sound really well. It's very pleasant.

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Listening to the three great Star Wars albums of Charles Gerhardt!

IMG_20210302_151235_973.jpg

I need to replace my copy of the Star Wars Gerhardt album as I can’t find it anywhere. Although it’s on my iTunes but seems to have the channels reversed. Most annoying (and odd!). Although I like that disc mostly for the extended Close Encounters suite.

Out of interest, what’s on the Spectacular World of Classic Film Scores? Don’t think I’ve heard of that one!

27 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Out of interest, what’s on the Spectacular World of Classic Film Scores? Don’t think I’ve heard of that one!

It's a compilation, but with 6 previously unreleased recordings.

image.png

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Gerhardt-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Spectacular-World-Of-Classic-Film-Scores/release/10262933

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ah cool, thanks for the info! Sounds like a great album.

Now on Cocoon: The Return (James Horner) - guess it's fairly much of a retread of the original, but still a great pair of Horner scores, gorgeous main theme, heart on sleeve stuff, but nicely mixed up with the big band stuff (which, let's face it, was pretty much the same in every score where it appeared).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What exactly do you mean with this?

Horner used the same/very similar big band riffs in a number of scores, Cocoon and sequel, plus Batteries Not Included, and some others I think...

Just now, Bespin said:

You don't like big band music?

Oh no, I enjoy it, I'm just saying he reused the same riffs in a few times. Basketball Swing from Cocoon: The Return and Cafe Swing from Batteries Not Included are probably by two favourite iterations.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Horner used the same/very similar big band riffs in a number of scores, Cocoon and sequel, plus Batteries Not Included, and some others I think...

I thought you were referring to his re-recordings of classic big band pieces, which usually are ace.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought you were referring to his re-recordings of classic big band pieces, which usually are ace.

Is the stuff in his scores actual Glen Miller or just his version of them?

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Oh no, I enjoy it, I'm just saying he reused the same riffs in a few times. Basketball Swing from Cocoon: The Return and Cafe Swing from Batteries Not Included are probably by two favourite iterations.

Update... Cafe Swing. Definitely my favourite. Just so much fun and the recording is a smidge better than Cocoon.

I'm most familiar with Swing Kids, which are quite exact arrangements of the original Benny Goodman and Count Basie pieces, but with some tasteful changes here and there such as changing an instrument, shortening a piece, or adding an intro.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm most familiar with Swing Kids, which are quite exact arrangements of the original Benny Goodman and Count Basie pieces, but with some tasteful changes here and there such as changing an instrument, shortening a piece, or adding an intro.

Ah yes, one of those Horner scores I forget about... will give it a listen sometime.

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ah yes, one of those Horner scores I forget about... will give it a listen sometime.

The original score isn't much to talk about, I bought it for the big band rerecordings.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The original score isn't much to talk about, I bought it for the big band rerecordings.

I bought it for Sing, Sing, Sing.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

And they sound incredibly dynamic on their OSTs, especially BNI.

8 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Now on Cocoon: The Return (James Horner) - guess it's fairly much of a retread of the original, but still a great pair of Horner scores, gorgeous main theme, heart on sleeve stuff, but nicely mixed up with the big band stuff (which, let's face it, was pretty much the same in every score where it appeared).

Basketball Swing is pretty much the highlight:

12 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

So good! Can't wait for Intrada to put it back in stock that I can stop listening to this weird playlist I've found on youtube.

My alltime favourite of ol' G. But how come everyone is listening non-stop to Goldsmith all the time here? Is there some kind of anniversary I've missed?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

My alltime favourite of ol' G. But how come everyone is listening non-stop to Goldsmith all the time here? Is there some kind of anniversary I've missed?

Apart from the 92th anniversary last month nothing special.

I'm just discovering his entire work for the first time so I'm currently listening between 3 and 8 Goldsmith's score a day that's why there is so much Goldsmith here.

But I'm starting to think that there is never to much of him or am I wrong?

14 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I'm just discovering his entire work for the first time so I'm currently listening between 3 and 8 Goldsmith's score a day that's why there is so much Goldsmith here.

Yes, both you and Tom seem to have "Goldsmith fever" at the moment. Nothing wrong with that, though. :)

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

So good! Can't wait for Intrada to put it back in stock that I can stop listening to this weird playlist I've found on youtube.

Such a great score. I'm going to listen to it now! I've always liked Jerry but definitely enjoying going back over his music and discovering a new appreciation for it. On point of fact, I have more Jerry albums in my iTunes library than anyone else (well over 300 - although a lot are labelled as Title (Bonus Tracks) etc. but I still think I have more scores by him than any other film composer).

Just given David Arnold and Michael Price's Dracula score from the miniseries a listen. Great atmosphere and melodic, but still hasn't quite grabbed me but will give it some more spins. 

Horrible Bosses by Christopher Lennertz

I like the movie but I had never listen to this one before. Well it's a really fun score with a lot of nice drumming :rimshot:

54 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Just given David Arnold and Michael Price's Dracula score from the miniseries a listen. Great atmosphere and melodic, but still hasn't quite grabbed me but will give it some more spins. 

Those two never fully get my attention outside a movie. I don't fancy much their Sherlock's score, find them too long. Now don't take me wrong I find they make a terrific job when I watch the movie or the show but outside it... that's never my cup of tea.

1 minute ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else remember when everyone else thought The 13th Warrior was better than The Mummy?

Not exactly, but I do remember when they were pitted against each other. THE 13TH WARRIOR is a great score, but can't even sniff THE MUMMY's toes.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Not exactly, but I do remember when they were pitted against each other. THE 13TH WARRIOR is a great score, but can't even sniff THE MUMMY's toes.

I just remember on the internet about 20 years ago it seemed in-vogue to sing T13W's high praises while leaving The Mummy for dead.