What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, Bes; a decent score, from an underrated film.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it's Downey Jr's best performance.

One of Downey's best performance is in Less than Zero. That movie is devastating.

Encoding Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition.

Gapless tracks... okay... encoding tracks 5 to 8, and 19 to 22 as "ranges".

(I can't stand a cut, even in micro-seconds, between to gapless tracks)

:sarcasm:

R-3656154-1339107964-4640.jpeg.jpg

20 000 Leagues Under the Sea, by John Scott

The book is an all time favorite since my childhood, so I was always curious about how Scott would approach the material. The movie it was written for is absolutely abysmal, but Scott somehow seems to be scoring the book instead of the movie, with a great album assembly that really conjures up the episodic nature of the novel. The fact that the cd cover art has an illustration from the original edition of novel instead of the movie poster further enhances this feeling.

Good themes, good assembly, good setpieces (Monster from the Depths is particularly evocative, although the scene itself is laughably bad), good recording.

So listen to this as a symphonic depiction of the novel and forget it was written for a movie. It works wonderfully that way

ab67616d0000b2737986d50ac2b147fcabe7692e

Loved this Swedish series from about 10 years ago, including the score by Söderström & Berthling. It runs through all the obligatory oriental flavours while using western melodies. East meets west, pretty classic set-up. Partly serious and dramatic, partly light and comic (including whistling!).

ab67616d0000b27339c45b30babfc761d5e08661

How can you not love this ingenious way of creating a score - solely through voices (the only available instrument on a desert island)? Wonderful harmonies. And that version of the JURASSIC PARK theme has already become an instant classic. This was high up on my list in 2016.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Erich Kunzel fest!

• The Big Picture (1997)
  • Mega Movies (2000)
  • Epics (2003)
  • Rosza: Three Choral Suites (2005)
  • Great Film Fantasies (2006)
  • Vintage Cinema (2008)

I used to have the Big Picture but can't seem to find it now... most annoying! Great album.

Today's listening:

Wolf (Ennio Morricone) - surprisingly listenable, dark work, with an effective running synth figure (which also later appeared in Mission to Mars) and an unexpectedly fine piece of action writing in Chase (super imaginative track titles there).

Alias: Season 2 (Michael Giacchino) - much more symphonic/orchestral than expected and really very enjoyable indeed. He seems so much better when he's not trying to compose for a 100 piece orchestra plus choir to all play at the same time. Some nice hints of his (much more bombastic, but enjoyable) Mission: Impossible scores.

...and some Grieg and Dvorak symphonic dances!

Kunzel's THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE album remains a cornerstone of my formative years (can't see that on your list!). But we've discussed that elsewhere recently.

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The only thing i DON'T like about WOLF is that annoying synth figure!

Thankfully , it's not prominent in the film- which is very underrated imho

I love WOLF, the film (in large part due to my alltime fav actor Jack), but can't stand the score. It's one of those dissonant Morricone affairs that just grate on me, sorry.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I love WOLF, the film (in large part due to my alltime fav actor Jack), but can't stand the score. It's one of those dissonant Morricone affairs that just grate on me, sorry.

You have to curate the program to enjoy it.

Not a soundtrack where you listen to every track.

Probably, yeah, but I have like a million soundtracks that I need to curate/whittle down to a decent and listenable playlist, so it will take a while.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Probably, yeah, but I have like a million soundtracks that I need to curate/whittle down to a decent and listenable playlist, so it will take a while.

sometimes I drop#2

Pretty short playlist!

See: above.

Those sixteen minutes of music is still better than everything Max Steiner ever wrote. 😎

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

You have to curate the program to enjoy it.

Not a soundtrack where you listen to every track.

EXORCIST II is the same way- a few gems among the noise!

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Alias: Season 2 (Michael Giacchino) - much more symphonic/orchestral than expected and really very enjoyable indeed. He seems so much better when he's not trying to compose for a 100 piece orchestra plus choir to all play at the same time. Some nice hints of his (much more bombastic, but enjoyable) Mission: Impossible scores.

The first season is much more heavily electronic than the second one. I still rank both among Giacchino's work, before he got sort of typecast in his own style. There's some wonderful leitmotivic work in the series.

The best scores from Alias were seasons 3-5, especially 4 and 5.  It's such a bummer Varese stopped releasing albums

I wanted to buy the Exorcist II old score, then I realized Morricone re-recorded the main Theme (Ryan's Theme) for Quarantino's Hateful Eight. Well, that's all I need (and The Thing re-recordings too!).

These recordings are available on the CD/DVD of "Morricone 60". I ripped the DVD on FLACs... I absolutely love these Abbey Road Sessions!

H8 used only a few seconds from the ost of EXORCIST II cue ( but enough for my gf to get a residual check).

The full cue on the ost has EddA on vocals

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's Disney now, too? Oh shit.

Big deal.

Tv shows look fine on dvd

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's Disney now, too? Oh shit.

Now?  Disney has owned ABC since 1995.  Alias aired from 2001-2006

I guess technically broadcast channels can air shows owned by other companies, but Alias was made by Touchstone Television, a branch of Disney.  It's always been their show.

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Big deal.

Tv shows look fine on dvd

That doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Now?  Disney has owned ABC since 1995.  Alias aired from 2001-2006

I guess technically broadcast channels can air shows owned by other companies, but Alias was made by Touchstone Television, a branch of Disney

I don't really keep track of these things. So I imagine not only is a physical HD release unlikely, but it'll also disappear from Netflix (if it hasn't already) and will only be available through Disney+.

Content fragmentation really sucks, it's the worst aspect of streaming (and not the only one I'm critical of).

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't really keep track of these things. So I imagine not only is a physical HD release unlikely, but it'll also disappear from Netflix (if it hasn't already) and will only be available through Disney+.

Presumably, yep

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Content fragmentation really sucks, it's the worst aspect of streaming (and not the only one I'm critical of).

Yea we're not in the heyday of streaming right now, we're at the low point where the content is fragmented across 17 services you need if you want to view what you want.  Hopefully in the future there is some kind of aggregation or bundling or something

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea we're not in the heyday of streaming right now, we're at the low point where the content is fragmented across 17 services you need if you want to view what you want.  Hopefully in the future there is some kind of aggregation or bundling or something

I'm not so sure about that. Before the smartphone era, there was a time when it seemed that standards and standard formats were finally becoming more prevalent in many areas, or where they weren't, aggregators were becoming more common. For a while, every platform had applications that could handle all the various instant messenger natively in one tool, except Skype (which was too hard to refactor, but even that could be handled by the aggregators at least if the real Skype client was running in the background).

But since everyone has an iPhone or Android phone, people have gotten used to "there's an app for that" - or rather, for a version of that concept where you've got one specific app for each different task, or type of content, or, *source* of content. Each type of IM protocol has a different app, and that app is the only way to use it. I've got Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, Signal, and Facebook Chat, and whenever I use the "share" feature on Android, it suggests recipients from all of them except the one that's used by the person I want to send something to. Some conversations are spread across two or even three different IM services, because nobody ever remembers which messenger they used for that person the previous day. Likewise, there's the YouTube app for YouTube content, the Spotify app for Spotify content, Google Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, you name it. And I don't have the impression that people are questioning that system at the moment. I would be more inclined to pay for multiple different streaming providers if it didn't also make me dependent on their (often horrible) apps. It's like having to buy multiple TV sets just because each will only show you a fixed set of channels.

I don't really see how your smarphone app example is a real parallel to the current state of streaming services.  

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't really see how your smarphone app example is a real parallel to the current state of streaming services.  

My impression is that smartphones (with their greater abstraction of technical details like file formats etc. compared to "traditional" computers) coincided with a transition from the concept of generic tools for handling different formats for the same type of content (and with people choosing their own favourites) to the current concept of having a different tool for everything, be it video content, audio content, or messaging. Yes, there are still players for all the standard *file* formats to choose from, but since nobody uses files anymore (and again, mobile devices were at least one factor in the move from locally stored files to streams/"the cloud"), those are becoming increasingly irrelevant for many people.

(But I guess this is becoming too technical now for the purposes of this thread)