What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I don't think what you're talking about is really the issue, or not the same one that initially came up.  

When it was just Netflix it was awesome, because you had one subscription and had all these movies on demand instead of waiting for them to show up on cable.

Then it was neflix, hulu, amazon, and you could cancel your cable subscription and just have those and pretty much keep up with every show and get most movies on one of the services eventually, and even having 3 services was around 1/4 of the cost of the old cable subscription

But then the big companies that own the rights to the different shows and starting deciding to launch their own services and make their content exclusive to only their service, and now we're in the crummy nadir we're in.  I have to pay for Netflix for Stranger Things, Amazon for Ms Maisel, Hulu for What We Do In The Shadows, HBO for Search Party, Paramount for Twilight Zone, Apple for Ted Lasso, Disney for Mandalorian, Peacock probably has something I'd watch, etc etc etc.  Now we're approaching the price of a cable subscription, except it's less convenient because I have to remember which service to launch for each show, and have to use an outside website to easily figure out which movies ended up where.

The cost effective thing to do would be a month of Netflix, catch up on everything there, then cancel and do a month of Hulu and catch up there, then cancel and do a month of HBO and catch up there, etc, but that's just too much work to save money.

A service where you somehow had one bill but it managed all that for you in some way that is more nuanced than I can figure out now could be one solution, or another solution could be some overall service that contains all the info from everything in one place, and when you click play it automatically launches the right app for you or something.  I dunno.  I'm not smart enough to have all the answers, but the crux of the issue is each conglomerate taking back all their content and making it exclusive to their own apps, not streaming services existing in the first place.

For me, the issues are connected, and I'm probably more critical of them than you, too. I only pay for Netflix, and I was already annoyed by having Netflix/Amazon/Hulu (well, not Hulu, because it's not available here) as separate services, before things became even more fragmented. And I'm very unhappy with how closely content is tied to specific software. I don't have my computers hooked up to my TV or projector, because I've got plenty of other devices anyway - three Blu-ray players and a PS4 (plus older consoles). And the support and quality of the software on these devices differs a lot depending on the provider. Netflix is on everything - but the only version that is capable of 24p output is the app on my Grundig TV, and that seems to be some inofficial or lukewarmly supported implementation that sometimes has problems with the codec (decompression tends to break down for animated stuff, and then the video just hangs until the next keyframe). The other versions (on the Blu players and the PS4) don't have that problem, but concert everything to 25p, which looks horrible. Still, since I only use Netflix for series, and don't use other providers, I've never seen the point in buying a streaming stick on top of everything else.

The only one of these devices that supports Amazon Prime is the PS4, and the interface is just horrible. Even if Amazon's content selection and quality were better and I'd be more inclined to pay for multiple services, the app would still stop me from getting a permanent subscription.

None of that would be solved by having a service that integrates all of these apps. What I want is a standard where I don't have to care about where the content I want to see comes from, and I don't want the controls and features to be different because of the source. I can understand paying separately for certain content if rates are lower because I don't have to pay for a provider's entire library (and sofware) just to watch a single show.

In lieu of that, I'm perfectly happy with buying reasonably priced physical releases (at least if released in time) instead. But streaming is gradually killing that option.

I wouldn't say his music annoys me, as such, but not a single thing I've heard from him has connected with me emotionally.

His music is clearly technically super-competent. Just, I don't know... cold.

I feel the same thing, though to a slightly lesser extent, with Michael Giacchino.

I never really understood the "radio" function of Spotify, but now that I follow the artists I love, and "liked" all the scores I love and own, it now suggest me things which really are in my tastes! Well except ocasionnaly some Alexandre Desplat. I will not have to skip his tracks anymore, I've found a way to mute him.

Unlimited POWA!!! 😜

The score tracks I mostly listen to are the self- contained jazz cues which I assume are source cues in the film.

So, they're not underscore and don't need the visuals.

Maybe I'll get around to the film someday.

Perfect Sense by Max Richter

A beautiful but quite depressing score, really faithful to the movie

Firewall by Alexandre Desplat

A nice score, not in the usual Desplat style and with some welcomed Goldsmith's inspirations

Always by John Williams

A really delicate and sensitive score from the master which surely deserve a new treatment if only to give it a better presentation, the 6 first songs being in my opinion in the wrong place.

7 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Always by John Williams

A really delicate and sensitive score from the master which surely deserve a new treatment if only to give it a better presentation, the 6 first songs being in my opinion in the wrong place.

Think LP!

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better to have them at the very beginning so they're easy to skip.

At the end would be better (or not at all is nice too), this way you don't even have to skip them. ;)

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Think LP!

If I recall correctly it's even worse. Aren't Among the Clouds and Follow Me on the first side of the LP?

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

Erich Kunzel fest!

• The Big Picture (1997)
  • Mega Movies (2000)
  • Epics (2003)
  • Rosza: Three Choral Suites (2005)
  • Great Film Fantasies (2006)
  • Vintage Cinema (2008)

And the best for the end!

• The Great Fantasy Adventure Album (1994)

King Kong by James Newton Howard

I've never really much like his scores apart from the movie but having recently listenned to Raya and News of the World (two movies that I haven't seen yet) make me decide to give JNH a new shot. Well it's fully worth it, this score is adventurous, delicat, powerful and in one word great.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

I officially banned Alexandre Desplat from my Spotify. His music annoys me.

Yesterday I was in bed, listening to a great selection made by Spotify Radio, and then this played:

Fantastic Mr. Fox - original soundtrack buy it online at ...

It annoyed me!

Coming next, a discovery for me, a classical score by Howard Shore.

A hint: 

Spoiler

20161228163439_17024.jpg

The only Desplat I really like is The Shape of Water. I find Little Women, Godzilla, The Danish Girl, the Imitation Game and Firewall (because it's sounds a bit like Goldsmith) nice too but that's it.

[edit]Although Zero Dark Thirty works great in the movie.

I find his music claustrophic, it goes in circle, and it turns and it turns, evolving very slowly. It makes me angry. When it happens, I just want to slap Desplat with a big large trout, so he can move on.

In fact his music have the same effect on me that a scratched vinyl that repeat the same section again and again.

I generally agree with you guys regarding Desplat, but there are exceptions - primarily THE GHOST WRITER, THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING, THE PAINTED VEIL and L'ENNEMI INTIME. Love those!

Don't remember about the Ghost Writer, I know I really like the movie but I didn't notice the music while watching it, maybe I will give it another try.

Never heard about the others though.

I think the most desapointing thing with Desplat is that you know he can do more than just this, it's like if he stoped just before it's get good but with four to nine scores a year that's not very suprising.

Outbreak (Deluxe Edition) by James Newton Howard

A really good one.

5 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Don't remember about the Ghost Writer, I know I really like the movie but I didn't notice the music while watching it, maybe I will give it another try.

Never heard about the others though.

The excellence of THE GHOST WRITER is more the spotting, i.e. how sparse the score is to mirror Polanski's dry style.

I'm of the firm opinion that Desplat was much better in his early years -- his collabs with Audiard and all that -- and, as you say, the moment he started doing a million movies a year, the quality of his writing dropped. A lot of it just comes off as lazy, with loads of non-descript ostinati going nowhere fast. Then again, THE MIDNIGHT SKY was one of the few movies he did last year, and that was disappointing too (outside the main theme, at least).

In my opinion, he's second only to Giacchino and Göransson as the most overrated living film composer today. But do check out the ones I mentioned -- they're fine!

I like the mood of Girl with a pearl earring, although there's only a few standout tracks.

One has to wonder why Giacchino and Desplat don't do a few less scores a year - they must be among the best paid film composers today, so I doubt they really need to maximize their income.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

In my opinion, he's second only to Giacchino and Göransson as the most overrated living film composer today. But do check out the ones I mentioned -- they're fine!

I will.

Göransson is to me the most overrated composer of all time (saying that just because I hate the Mandalorian, his score makes me drop the show) , his only two good works are Black Panther and Community (my personal favourite)

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

The excellence of THE GHOST WRITER is more the spotting, i.e. how sparse the score is to mirror Polanski's dry style.

Yeah to be sparse, it is sparse. I remember another good Polanski's movie: Carnage (also scored by Desplat) which contains music only on the opening and end titles.

The Light Between the Oceans is Desplat's very best score, and my favorite score from 2016 - which was a big thing considering that year also had JNH's Fantastic Beasts. 

It's a masterpiece. It really should've been nominated for the Oscar, instead of all the crap that got nominated that year.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Light Between the Oceans is Desplat's very best score, and my favorite score from 2016 - which was a big thing considering that year also had JNH's Fantastic Beasts. 

It's a masterpiece. It really should've been nominated for the Oscar, instead of all the crap scores that got nominated that year.

It's surely have a great theme and some good highlights but drags a bit in time.

Personal selection for the 2016 oscar:

1. La La Land by Justin Hurwitz

2. The BFG by John Williams

3. Hail, Caesar! by Carter Burwell

4. Rogue One by Michael Giacchino (find it was a nice effort for a first non-Williams Star Wars' movie)

5. Passengers by Thomas Newman

Headphone Journey

Howard Shore - The fly

Howard Shore - Silence of the lambs

Danny Elfman - Mission Impossible OST

John Williams - The Post

Thomas Newman - 1917

Jerry Goldsmith - Rudy 

James Horner - The Mask of Zerro

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Er...what about CARAVAN OF COURAGE, and BATTLE FOR ENDOR?

Fine Bernstein jr. scores! Better than anything Giacchino has ever done in his life.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That album's not so great, though.

I've never bought any of those soundtrack comps.

Aren't they aimed at casual fans who want the " greatest hits"?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Headphone Journey

Howard Shore - ThThe Mask of Zerro

Bes will soon be posting on the " Tinnitus" thread😞

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

I've never bought any of those soundtrack comps.

Aren't they aimed at casual fans who want the " greatest hits"?

The greatest hits in not the greatest recordings.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The greatest hits in not the greatest recordings.

These remind me of the " Leroy Holmes/ Ferrante and Teicher"/ Music to Read James Bond" ,  type Lps that were very prevalent in.the Sixties