What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

broke.jpeg

DAVID NEWMAN

A beautiful, yet unsettling, score full of tragedy, like the film. Gorgeous main theme. Nice South-East Asian flavoured soundscapes. He actually sounds more like his brother Thomas on this one.

Comparisons can be made to Mark Mancina's (also lovely) score for RETURN TO PARADISE which has a similar plot, from the year before.

Neverending Story II - Robert Folk

Folk is channeling Horner in Krull mode (and a bit of Williams' The Empire Strikes Back) -- and it is absolutely delightful. Not a fan of the new cover of the eponymous title song, Limahl did it best the first go-round.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:15 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

La Ragion Pura  by Ennio Morricone

A great Morricone's score that I just pick among all his scores on youtube. Never heard of the movie before but immediatly after the first track it's seemed so familiar, like a score I would have listen my whole life...

17 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Butterfly (Ennio Morricone) - Morricone in perhaps a more standard orchestral idiom, but beautifully haunting melodies. Although I don't remember it being in mono... from a film made in 1982! What happened there?! I think mine is the Laserlight release. Is there a stereo version!?

Both of these are true gems! Fairly recent discoveries of mine too (after his death, anyway) when I went looking for more lyrical Morricone scores.

12 hours ago, LSH said:

Comparisons can be made to Mark Mancina's (also lovely) score for RETURN TO PARADISE which has a similar plot, from the year before.

Interesting. Big fan of RETURN TO PARADISE, and love D. Newman's style within the mode you describe. Will definitely check it out!

R-14823048-1582292697-6848.jpeg.jpg

It's not Fenton in the broad, pastoral style, but quite intimate and dark at times. A beautiful kind of darkness. Recently, I've also been trying to explore the film genre of "colonial America", but there are not a lot of movies to choose from. This is one of the few (I last saw it in the 90s).

Battle of the Sexes (FYC) by Nicholas Britell

Some nice orchestration although nothing really stick in your head. Really liked the part for the Match though.

Becoming (FYC) by Kamasi Washington

A really nice jazz score. Never heard of this composer before but I might look a bit around to see what else he has written...

ab67616d0000b2730419a265fb689bb1b0604974

Such a nice score - a highlight of 2014. But hampered by overlong presentation at 76 minutes. On my everincreasing list of titles I need to whittle down at some point. This will be brilliant at, say, 45-50 minutes.

An ALL Thomas Newman program today:

- Little Women OST

- American Beauty OST

- Finding Nemo OST

- Less than Zero (expanded)

- Spectre OST

- The Shawshank Redemption OST

- Meet Joe Black OST

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Little Women OST

American Beauty OST

Finding Nemo OST

Less than Zero (expanded)

Spectre OST

The Shawshank Redemption OST

Meet Joe Black OST

There's some fine music, there, Bes. LITTLE WOMEN is lovely, MEET JOE BLACK is stirring, yearning, and quirky, at the same time (Cold Lamb Sandwich, and Peanut Butter Man are personal favourites), SPECTRE is fantastic, and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and AMERICAN BEAUTY speak for themselves. Put simply, they are two of the greatest scores composed for the cinema.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

- Little Women OST

- American Beauty OST

- Finding Nemo OST

- Spectre OST

- The Shawshank Redemption OST

- Meet Joe Black OST

Try The Green Mile OST one of these days. It's a beautiful score, haunting, darker than Shawshank and a little depressing, but still pretty touching and emotional.

The Horse Whisperer is another Newman score I love. 

Alita: Battle Angel by Junkie XL

This is quite good! I've been unimpressed with Junkie's super-hero scores, but this one is great. It still contains some of his trademarks (like the BAAAUUUUMMSS on brass and the drumming), but the score has also some great orchestrations, beautiful emotional music and some fun power anthems.

Looking forward to listen to the other scores of his Reinassance (The Dark Tower, Sonic, Scooby, Mortal Engines, etc).

Someone had pointed to Alita and Mortal Engines when they talked about how a track from ZSJL sounded super derivative of Junkie's prior work. Given I recently just heard Point Break (a community favorite that hasn't gotten a proper release), and wasn't particularly engaged with that, I figured his more recent efforts are more indictive of his developed sound.

I saw most of the films JW's scored, except some comedies from the 60s. Of course I saw Angela's ashes and Book thief.

13 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Distance Between Dreams by Junkie XL

Nice score. It's more intimist than what he is used to write and makes me think of Richter's work on some part which is for the best.

That's my alltime favourite JXL score, where he goes back to his lean electronica roots a bit ("Jaws" is my favourite track). Wish he did more of that (last year's WHITE LINES is another great example). Not too keen on the big action blockbuster extravaganzas, although he does those well too. BRIMSTONE would be another favourite of mine, but more because of the solemn, melancholic orchestral sound. If you have BRIMSTONE, DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS, WHITE LINES and FURY ROAD, you have a great set that showcases his hugely underrated range. I don't care what anyone else says.

Krull

Sometimes you just pick the right score for the right mood. I adored every second of it.

Wyatt Earp (OST) by James Newton Howard

Never heard this one before and that was a shame. It is such a beautiful score although it is quite short. Luckily there is the LLL 3CD set!!!

2 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Wyatt Earp (OST) by James Newton Howard

Never heard this one before and that was a shame. It is such a beautiful score although it is quite short. Luckily there is the LLL 3CD set!!!

Only in 2021 is a 58-minute album considered "short". I think it's pretty much perfect. Perhaps even a bit too long as is.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Only in 2021 is a 58-minute album considered "short". I think it's pretty much perfect. Perhaps even a bit too long as is.

True, I just didn't see time fly... ;)

Waterworld by James Newton Howard

A really good surprise from an enjoyable score. Never really like JNH until today...

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SOLARIS.

A beautiful and hypnotic score, from a beautiful and hypnotic film.

Artemiev or Martinez? I'm guessing Artemiev. Love both scores, but if I had to pick a favourite, it would be Artemiev.

Just now, Jay said:

I've never seen that word before

Yeah I've check it up it's a miss translation. In french we refer to the third trilogy as the "postlogie" but apparently it doesn't apply in English.

Gonna change that for "The Sequels", much better! ;)

I googled "postlogy" and it had a bunch of hits, usually of people talking about episodes 7-9, but no webster definition type link popped up at all, so I don't think it's an actual word, but something that could become a word in the future if people keep using it, I guess

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Artemiev or Martinez? I'm guessing Artemiev. Love both scores, but if I had to pick a favourite, it would be Artemiev.

Martinez, actually.

If it had been Artemiev, I'd have typed SOLYARIS.

I can't choose. Each score fits the dreamlike qualities of their respective films.

I love both scores; I love both films.

ab67616d0000b27369fa557c44aaf49f5c69a7f4

Smooth easy listening versions of film themes, arranged by a certain someone. Album from 1963. And despite its name, it actually has surprisingly few tracks written by Previn.

12 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

L'Avventuriero by Ennio Morricone :heart:

PERFECT!!!! An instant classic... so beautiful... I want more of it...

Yeah, it’s great.

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b27369fa557c44aaf49f5c69a7f4

Smooth easy listening versions of film themes, arranged by a certain someone. Album from 1963. And with a name like that, it actually has surprisingly few tracks written by Previn.

I digitally restored this LP, great rarity!

Ghost Rider (OST) - Christopher Young
This is how you do a compelling rock infused superhero score. Being that this was the same year as Spidey 3, it's impressive how much CY can make this its own distinct thing in spite of some usual characteristics of his. I still find the main and love themes a bit weak, but given how much the album really prioritizes individual set pieces over any thematic focus, I'd say it made it less of an issue here than it had been on the expanded. Also, while I appreciate Young including the film version insert of the first transformation sequence at the end, it is so blatantly tacked on with how the original unaltered track was designed to end. Not sure where else I could've put it either, given its abrupt start. In any case, it's a score I should revisit more often.

Wonder Woman (Complete) - Rupert Gregson-Williams
Probably the most favorable listen I've had of it so far. It starts off decently, has some fun cues and moments here and there, but it remains a pretty weak MV influenced score. The main theme felt less like a Transformers rip off this time, but it really pales compared to what HZ did on WW84 (though at least the theme here has a bit more presence compared to that). All in all, if nothing else, it makes for effective study music.

Gave MOS another try.

It starts well- I really like his SUPE theme - but becomes tiresome after a few tracks.

Not one to add to my Zimmer collection

On 3/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, Bespin said:

Only one for me😄

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, it’s great.

Very happy to see you finally get into EM!😊

10 hours ago, Jay said:

"The Postlogy" ?

The sequel to THE POSTMAN?