What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Nobody likes WONDER, Thor.

It was godawful.

Can't remember what it was even about.

Music wasn't good either.

Actually, most of my colleagues loved it. But I was lukewarm. I totally disagree with publicist in that the score is 'meaningless drones', however. Yes, it's textural, but it's texture with SKILL and MEANING and DEPTH. With content.

3 hours ago, KK said:

The score is Richter on auto-pilot, but it works wonders in the show. And the show is absolutely fantastic. Can't wait till season 3.

Totally agreed. It's Richter on autopilot, and limited interest on its own. Never seen the show.

ab67616d0000b273f0dad394e753acf0c58d21b0

A delightful, consonant affair from one of the Golden Age's less heralded (but no less interesting) composers - tapping into the various geographical locales through the music. This was one of his last scores.

Jerry Goldsmith - Forever Young (La-La Land expansion)

Wow!  I have never seen this film - didn't even know what it was about - and never heard this OST album or this expansion.  It was this morning's pick off the pile of un-listened-to-CDs, and based purely on the cover art I was expecting a subdued romantic drama type score.  Imagine my surprise when the opening track (Test Flight) was a really great little quasi=militaristic action banger!  The action in the finale tracks (She's Alive and Reunited) was really great too (some Total Recall-esque writing)

Everything in between was also really nice (and nicely paced, too - I was at the end before I expected it), but then the "Love Theme" concert arrangement acting as like an end credits finale to the whole thing was spectacular (really nice cue, that one)

The subsequent bonus tracks were also really cool, because it was kind of a like a quicker, shorter run through the whole story again with another big finish.  

Good stuff - I'm glad I finally know this score!

Dan Romer & Benh Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild

Searching for scores with celesta, so I listened to this too.

I have seen the movie but don't remember anything of it.

Nice score, optimistic one, with good textures (mostly from strings) and an ethnic - at times - flavor.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Dan Romer & Benh Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild

Searching for scores with celesta, so I listened to this too.

I have seen the movie but don't remember anything of it.

Nice score, optimistic one, with good textures (mostly from strings) and an ethnic - at times - flavor.

I love that score. Still their best work. I'd call it more wistful than optimistic.

ab67616d0000b273cc871305785a18782c0f8d87

Another one of those unheralded Horner scores from the 2000s (2003, to be exact) that doesn't get the love it deserves. A little bit of Americana, but it's both broader and more intimate than that.

Rebecca - Franz Waxman

Re-recording by the Slovak Radio Orchestra.

Independant of the composer so far I have a 100% hit rate with soundtracks of Hitchcock movies. Recently Miklós Rózsa's Spellbound, the Herrmann scores anyway.

The Blue Max (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

One word: INCREDIBLE!

I was quite surprise to see that it's from 1966 because it surely doesn't sound like the other scores from this period (guess it's also due to the fantastic restoration of this edition)

54 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Rebecca - Franz Waxman

Obviously a brilliant, classic score, but my favourite recording remains the Joel McNeely/RSNO one.

James Horner - For Greater Glory (OST)

Hehe.  If this is one of the first Horner scores you've ever heard, it must be amazing, as there's so many cool ideas in here. But if you're familiar with the bulk of his work before hearing it, it's bound to be disappointing because so much of it comes from his prior scores.  There's the danger motif, Zorro-esque guitars, a Search For Spock-esque theme, Braveheart throughout.... If you look past the re-use, it's still a perfectly fine and functional late-era Horner score that is satisfying - and nicely programmed for this OST album.  If you can't get him revisiting his old works, this album will probably annoy you.  It doesn't re-use yet also elevate in the way that Wolf Totem or Black Gold do.  But I still like it!

Oh, and I almost forgot: There is one unique aspect of this score, that I don't recall hearing in any prior Horner scores (I can't say I've heard them all, though): Elfman-esque choir!  I was really surprised when that came up!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, and I almost forgot: There is one unique aspect of this score, that I don't recall hearing in any prior Horner scores (I can't say I've heard them all, though): Elfman-esque choir!  I was really surprised when that came up!

Dunno...Casper maybe?

:music: Silverado. I haven't heard this score in ages. Together with Young Sherlock Holmes, it is Bruce Broughton at his very best. For some reason I don't ever listen to his music much...and whenever I do I keep wondering why that might be. In any case, the themes and western stuff are both good (or great even) but I mostly dig the jagged and brutal action and suspense passages. Good stuff! Intrada album comes highly recommended.

Karol

I can't really remember. I've heard it only once or twice and that was when it first came out. And you said Elfman-esque so immediately thought Casper:lol:

Karol

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Different than the choirs in Krull?

More phone screenshots. Are you Bruce Marshall, Big Man? ;)

I've never listened to music on my phone in my life. I have an old iPod from the late 2000s. That's as close as I get.

ENNIO_MORRICONE_IL+LADRONE-742873.jpg

Not so much lyrical this time (well, there is some of that too), but a fairly jaunty comedy score from 1980 with a host of cool instrumentational details. Morricone was such a master arranger as well. Haven't seen the film, but it appears to be a sort of Italian LIFE OF BRIAN, made around the same time.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yes, very different from Krull choir

Casper is full of Elfman choir. The choir in FGG is closer to his bulgarian chants in Troy etc. It's a special key they're singing in, but i don't see much, if any, connection to Elfman's work.

R-4535964-1367679536-6413.jpeg.jpg

One more before I move on to non-Morricone. The theme for this 1991 movie is one of the loveliest, pastoral things Morricone has ever written (you wouldn't believe that from looking at the cover). It's like a Geoffrey Burgon piece. But perhaps repeated a bit too often.

ab67616d0000b2733860efbd5f238eb6abaeff71

One of the greatest television scores composed in the 2010s. Just seek it out on Spotify or wherever and listen for yourself! I miss this Jusid; he's been bogged down in things he's not particularly comfortable with, or talented in, these last few years.

2 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I'm curious, what are your five favourites among those?

Let's see... my Top 5?

1-Less Than Zero

2-Shawshank Redemption

3-1917

4-American Beauty

5-Passengers

Haven't heard yet American Beauty (but seen the film though) and Less Than Zero. Might try that latter...

As far as I'm concerned mine would be:

1. Shawshank Redemption

2. Passengers

3. Skyfall

4. Finding Nemo

5. WALL-E

Brad Fiedel - The Terminator ("The Definite Edition")

Yea, they didn't call it "Definitive", they called it "Definite"!  This score is great; Some research has told me that this release was made from Ford Thaxton supervising a team that made their own new mixes from the original 24 track, and all cues aren't included; A later Milan reissue has another new mix (but this time supervised by Fiedel) and more music that wasn't available when this was made (though sad omits some music that is here, which is weird).

Anyways, it's a classic score for reason.  That being said, I do think Terminator 2's score basically one-ups this one in every way

My CD had a "Footlight Records" sticker directly on the jewel case - any other JWFan elders remember that place!?  I must have ordered this from there, and this must have been back in the day before CDs were always shrinkwrapped (or maybe they were in the US at the time, but this is a German pressing so maybe they weren't doing it there)

I could never listen to anything else than the TERMINATOR theme alone. I've tried -- repeatedly -- to gain pleasure from listening to the soundtracks, but have never succeeded. That being said, they are absolutely GENIUS in the movies themselves. One of those great scores where sound effects and score merge to become a higher entity.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Newton Howard - Hidalgo (OST)

WOW!  This is an undiscovered gem by JNH for me.  I'd heard it before, but had largely forgotten all about it in the 17 (!) years since it came out.  I love the big, sweeping epic nature of it all.  It's grand!

That was a surprise for me a few years ago, when I finally acquired it. I had expected something lyrical and calm, like those BLACK BEAUTY scores. You know, horsie stuff and everything. Instead, it was (mostly) a full-on action score. Same experience I had with Arnold's THE LAST OF THE DOGMEN, which people had described as broad and Barry-ian, but which was rather aggressive through and through.

This is a great listen!

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

20210402_112738.jpg

59 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wanted to like the score to Hidalgo, but it never really clicked with me.

Agree.

Goldsmith would have been perfect for this.film

JNH missed a great scoring opportunity.

R-2534594-1289260003.jpeg.jpg

I have very nostalgic relationship to this game from 1997. At first, I thought they had just reused Vangelis' music, but it appears Klepacki has painstakingly recreated the sounds and themes to an extent I've never heard before. His own music is great too -- perfectly organic with Vangelis. Klepacki, of course, is a legend in game music, with hits such as DUNE II and the COMMAND & CONQUER series.

Trevor Jones - Dark City (OST)

Ha!  I had forgotten the score tracks were preceded by pop & rock songs; There's the 2 jazz standard sung in the film "by" Jennifer Connelly, and the film's trailer cue... and 3 then tracks that are soooooooooo 90s alt-rock it made me smile (none of these became hits - I never even heard them on the radio once)

Jones' score is fun!  The main action theme is a banger and it gets used well in the 3 tracks it appears in.  The score portion of this is short and sweet.  I'd enjoy hearing the complete score some day

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Trevor Jones - Dark City (OST)

Ha!  I had forgotten the score tracks were preceded by pop & rock songs; There's the 2 jazz standard sung in the film "by" Jennifer Connelly, and the film's trailer cue... and 3 then tracks that are soooooooooo 90s alt-rock it made me smile (none of these became hits - I never even heard them on the radio once)

Jones' score is fun!  The main action theme is a banger and it gets used well in the 3 tracks it appears in.  The score portion of this is short and sweet.  I'd enjoy hearing the complete score some day

Fantastic score for one of my favourite films from the 90s. I rewatched it just a few months ago, and it held up beautifully. The score is lush and dark. "Delicious darkness", as I call it.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So it might be the superior listening experience then?

Not really. The Vangelis OST is almost perfection, except for the dialogue.

Two "average" scores.

John Williams - Raiders (OST)

John Williams - Rise of Skywalker OST (for Easter)

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Two "average" scores.

John Williams - Raiders (OST)

John Williams - Rise of Skywalker OST (for Easter)

RISE, yes. RAIDERS, no.