What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Rise of the Guardians and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. An example of two bit Desplat scores that were better than anything he did for Harry Potter. In fact you might as well say any other fantasy/blockbuster he did was better than those. But then, I suppose he did exactly what was required of him.

Tried to complete my Easter marathon with Tadlow's King of Kings and Ben-Hur but couldn't get through either. Don't get me wrong, it's all wonderful music but I need to be in the right frame of mind to listen to those. Rozsa, for me, is a bit like cheese or good ale. Delicious, but best enjoyed in smaller doses. I've never been able to listen to any of his scores in one go.

Karol

THE HINDENBURG.

Say what you like about the film (I like it, a lot), David Shire's score is beautiful. I'm so glad that he chose the trumpet (at least, I think it's a trumpet), over the female voice, for the Main Title. Exquisite.

R-6207720-1421013198-7286.jpeg.jpg

This 6CD "box" is one of my most treasured film music "items" (even though the CD placeholders inside became unglued the minute I opened the package). Won't be playing the whole set today (7 hours and 10 minutes in total), obviously, but perfect to sample once in a while for a Delerue dose.

Captain America: The First Avenger by Alan Silvestri

Captain America: The Winter Soldier by Henry Jackman

Captain America: Civil War by Henry Jackman

It was a Captain America afternoon for me. I really enjoy Silvestri's score even though it's practically the same as his Avengers' scores. The two Jackman's scores are okay, TWS is however the best, lots of great highlights here. I would love to say the same thing about CW but unfortunately the highlights are a bit drowned by less interesting materials.

Captain Marvel by Pinar Toprak

Another captain from the MCU. Great theme which come back all along the score with some variations however the score drags a bit in length at some point. The best tracks are I'm all Fired Up and More Problems which has some great action cues.

9 hours ago, LSH said:

I love this particular era (pre-Shawshank) of Thomas Newman's catalogue.

:heart:

Me too!

R-10634009-1505232500-7098.jpeg.jpg

Great, epic score from 2003 with plenty of local colloquialisms in a time where Rahman was finally gaining international traction (post-LAGAAN).

The Quest for Fire (Philippe Sarde) - A typically superb score from Sarde, much more orchestral than you might expect given the story (prehistoric man goes on a quest to find fire done in a style not too far from the opening of 2001 so I gather - BluRay is on the rental list). Not quite Alex North brutal, but not far off. The only slight shame is that the stereo field is very narrow (it almost sounds like mono at times, but I'm pretty sure it isn't); could definitely do with a remastering to give the orchestra a bit more space.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Ennio) - Finally got round to listening to the full mono score. Obviously a classic, but it does feel a bit bitty and disconnected with quite a lot of short tracks. Probably a heretical view, but one of the prior expanded releases that's somewhere between the original 30 minute album and the full thing feels about right. Either way, notwithstanding it being mono, the sound is pretty great. The original stereo album, sounds even more terrific.

X-Men: First Class (Henry Jackman) - First track in... not as bad as I expected/remembered...

The Color Purple - Quincy Jones, Joel Rosenbaum et. al.

Listening to the score you think rather of a sweet animated Disney movie than that woman's miserable's destiny.

Highly emotional and "Miss Cellie's Blues" is a great song.

Miklós Rózsa's choral suites for "Ben Hur", "Quo Vadis" and "The King of Kings"

Really a nice best of with the highlights of the scores. I haven't managed so far to listen all the way through each of these scores completely from beginning to end. Too long and too many repetitions. Therefore, I rather like listening to these suites.

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Quest for Fire (Philippe Sarde) - A typically superb score from Sarde, much more orchestral than you might expect given the story (prehistoric man goes on a quest to find fire done in a style not too far from the opening of 2001 so I gather - BluRay is on the rental list). Not quite Alex North brutal, but not far off. The only slight shame is that the stereo field is very narrow (it almost sounds like mono at times, but I'm pretty sure it isn't); could definitely do with a remastering to give the orchestra a bit more space.

I tried to get into that, but it turned out too abrasive for me. Sarde is always hit/miss to me.

17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The Color Purple - Quincy Jones, Joel Rosenbaum et. al.

Listening to the score you think rather of a sweet animated Disney movie than that woman's miserable's destiny.

Highly emotional and "Miss Cellie's Blues" is a great song.

Love that score, even though the theme is famously very similar to Delerue's OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE. The theme is deliberately sweet and pastoral, as it reflects Celie's original innocence.

R-2855492-1304152382.jpeg.jpg

I have both of the LONELY PLANET sets on CD. Loved the show back in the day. And wonderful, ethnic music blending with various forms of electronica. Listened to these endlessly in the early 2000s, but haven't spun them in a while now.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Love that score, even though the theme is famously very similar to Delerue's OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE. The theme is deliberately sweet and pastoral, as it reflects Celie's original innocence.

Besides from the melody, in style of score it remindes me rather of "The Fox and the Hound" apart from the comedy parts and the songs. But it makes sense, since that is also a score that reflects the innocense of the protagonists in front of tragic evolvement.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Besides from the melody, in style of score it remindes me rather of "The Fox and the Hound" apart from the comedy parts and the songs. But it makes sense, since that is also a score that reflects the innocense of the protagonists in front of tragic evolvement.

Never thought of that connection, but sure -- why not? Love that film, by the way; I even had it as one of those 80s viewmaster thingies (anyone under 35 will have no idea what I'm talking about). 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Wolf Totem by James Horner

I've almost wanted to stop listening that one as the first tracks are quite boring but it surprisingly turns out to be good and even very good at some point.

It's a bit of a slog, but Horner's mastery is always a marvel if nothing else. Probably works better within the film.

26 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It's a bit of a slog, but Horner's mastery is always a marvel if nothing else. Probably works better within the film.

No.

You don't want to watch it.

Unbelievably depressing.

But the score is very good.

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (LLL)

Listened to this on Monday after the topic came up of the Hook inspired moments.  I hadn't listened to this in a while - hoo boy, it's great.  The parts directly lifted from Sorcerer's Stone get less and less annoying as the years go on...... though, the fact that the Stone motif appears at all still bugs me (and probably always will).  One day I'll make an edit that removes that... one day...

John Williams - Hook (complete edit)

And naturally after that I was tempted to listen to some Hook and ended up listening to almost the whole thing.  What a masterpiece

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I'll have to listen to Southpaw, The 33 and the Magnificent Seven reboot but yes probably

The only one that comes close is LIVING IN THE AGE OF AIRPLANES, but it's too all-over-the-place. Not a big fan of those you mention, so WOLF TOTEM it is.

brussels-philharmonic-2020-world-soundtr

Best film music compilation released year -- both for selections and performance.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Hook (complete edit)

And naturally after that I was tempted to listen to some Hook and ended up listening to almost the whole thing.  What a masterpiece

How often would you say you listened to that last year? 

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

The only one that comes close is LIVING IN THE AGE OF AIRPLANES, but it's too all-over-the-place. Not a big fan of those you mention, so WOLF TOTEM it is.

brussels-philharmonic-2020-world-soundtr

Best film music compilation released year -- both for selections and performance.

Just for the Tribute to the Film Composer I have to agree with you (although I would argue that John Williams in Vienna wasn't that bad ;))

Interesting perspective!  I never found Airplanes to be all over the place, I found it to be pretty consistent in tone throughout; In fact I would say as much as I love it, it is a bit lacking in variety!

I love the Face of Pan version, and the Star Trek medley on that

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

How often would you say you listened to that last year? 

Not that much

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

riiiight

OST + leak + LLL + BD Rips.  I love the opening stageplay piano stuff too much to not include it all, even though we can only hear it w/ sound effects

2 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Just for the Tribute to the Film Composer I have to agree with you (although I would argue that John Williams in Vienna wasn't that bad ;))

I've steered clear of that so far - except a few tidbits here and there. I want my first exposure to be when I (at some point) get the Blu-ray. I know already that the feeling will be a combination of envy and regret (I had to sell my ticket due to other commitments) and obvious pleasure in the performance itself.

Yasunori Mitsuda / ACE(TOMOri KUDO, CHiCO) / Kenji Hiramatsu / Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (OST)

Interesting - I hadn't listened to this in a couple months, and I generally have loved this to pieces for years now.  But after recently taking a deep dive into Final Fantasy VII Remake's score a lot over the past few months (which is why I haven't posted in this thread a lot - most of the time I just listen to bits of that all day) I now have a new perspective on this one!  It's still great, but feels more of a somewhat disjointed collection of (great) ideas, why FFVIIR is a more unified whole with may more emotional themes that everything is anchored around.  Interesting.

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Complete edit)

This is one of the few scores in my life that I think I can listen to over and over and over again and never get remotely sick of listening to.  It's just great from the first note to the last.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've steered clear of that so far - except a few tidbits here and there. I want my first exposure to be when I (at some point) get the Blu-ray. I know already that the feeling will be a combination of envy and regret (I had to sell my ticket due to other commitments) and obvious pleasure in the performance itself.

I haven't watch the Blu-Ray either but I could'nt resist to listen to it! :lol: The force is strong with you...

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is one of the few scores in my life that I think I can listen to over and over and over again and never get remotely sick of listening to.  It's just great from the first note to the last.

This score sounds just like a gigantic suite that you can't stop to listen until it's over and when it is, either you start TLC or you repeat it....

Yes!  It just feels odd to only enjoy a portion of it.  The entire thing is just so good.

I want to listen to Last Crusade more, but the sound quality lately has really been bugging me (which is weird because in the past I used to think it sounded great).

I am hopeful the upcoming 4K edition of the films will have better sounding version of the music in its Atmos track

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

So was it your most listened to score last year?

Just now, Jay said:

I am hopeful the upcoming 4K edition of the films will have better sounding version of the music in its Atmos track

Or Disney Records could finally listen to us but I think this is a lost cause :puh:

If wonder if Mike responded to that fan using the words he did because he would love Disney to hire him to do these as well and was hoping fans could help grease the wheels?

Maybe we should start a write-in campaign to Disney Records?  It is the 40th anniversary year of Raiders after all.  If he started now, that one could be out in time to meet the anniversary

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

... and annoyance over the flubs and timing issues.

Sienna Wind Emsemble - BRA★BRA FINAL FANTASY VII BRASS de BRAVO

Wow!  My first time hearing this.  What fun!  I love that it has an interesting selection of tracks - not just the ones that have already been endlessly rerecorded.  Aerith's theme doesn't even appear!  Really good renditions of Rufus's Welcoming Ceremony, Cait Sith's Theme, and Descendant of Shinobi.  Words Drowned by Fireworks was really good too, and an instrumental version of One-Winger Angel actually worked pretty well!  Too bad the first Jenova track wasn't done, but Jenova Complete and Birth of a God were pretty cool to hear.  It even works using Farm Boy as an end-cap after the climax of One-Winged Angel.

Thank you Spotify, thanks to this listen I'm buying the physical CD!

John Williams - JFK (OST w/o the pop songs)

Also on Spotify.  I don't know this score very well and have wanted to get more familiar.  Goddamn... this is good!  Is The Conspirators an even better version of the Dennis Steals The Embryos track I've loved for almost 30 years? 🤔

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

If wonder if Mike responded to that fan using the words he did because he would love Disney to hire him to do these as well and was hoping fans could help grease the wheels?

Maybe we should start a write-in campaign to Disney Records?  It is the 40th anniversary year of Raiders after all.  If he started now, that one could be out in time to meet the anniversary

Great idea! I'll sign.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - JFK (OST w/o the pop songs)

Also on Spotify.  I don't know this score very well and have wanted to get more familiar.  Goddamn... this is good!  Is The Conspirators an even better version of the Dennis Steals The Embryos track I've loved for almost 30 years? 🤔

I've never listened to just the score bits on their own. That's a good idea, actually. Might do an iTunes playlist.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe we should start a write-in campaign to Disney Records?  It is the 40th anniversary year of Raiders after all.  If he started now, that one could be out in time to meet the anniversary

Yes!!! Where should I sign?

After all, Snyder's fans have succeeded to get their Snyder Cut so why not us!

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've never listened to just the score bits on their own. That's a good idea, actually. Might do an iTunes playlist.

It's only 37 minutes without the pop songs!

Here's the playlist on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5rVln7rjc8jxQQNz2GgmfQ?si=9623e5f914124c11

John Williams - Black Sunday (Single LP edit)

This was a Spotify playlist I had saved, it's a 12 tracks (35 minute) LP style edit of the score.  I can't remember where I saw the playlist (probably on FSM) but I haven't listened to this score in ages and came across this and threw it on  a whim.  I will say it does start off pretty slow, but once you get to The Blimp and the Bomb it's pretty exciting from there to the end.  It's an interesting type of "action" music... it's more like "tension ratcheting up and up" music.  What an interesting an unique score from the maestro.  I really like "The End" to cap it all off, too.

Here's the playlist if anyone's curious

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/78jdzAGcdG3wp9LJIpxFhF?si=96b7bd1ec2954d24