What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Founder (FYC Album).jpg

A really nice score from Carter Burwell. I wasn't expected anything from it but it surely did surprised me.

Too bad that Burwell is such an underrated composer, he really has a great career.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

@May the Force be with You Have you heard this?  A definite highlight theme of Burwell's last few years of work.

Not yet but I wanted to listen to it because it's sounded promising and those two tracks only proves it!

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

1982 They're heeeere! :eek:

Poltergeist, The Wrath of Khan, E.T., The Thing.

20210516_102742.jpg

Great selection. I've only predicted two out of four even if It was Poltergeist or First Blood for the Goldsmith's score

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

A really nice score from Carter Burwell. I wasn't expected anything from it but it surely did surprised me.

Too bad that Burwell is such an underrated composer, he really has a great career.

Not sure I would call him 'underrated'. He's generally appreciated as one of the foremost film composers of his generation.

3700551747474_600.jpg

This computer game score by Power Glove was one of my favs in 2013. It references TERMINATOR, Faltermeyer, Moroder and everything inbetween, but with such tongue-in-cheek glee, it's to die for. Synthwave for the win!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You didn't skip Poltergeist. Good.

Well he skipped Blade Runner and First Blood, but chosing only 4 scores for 1982 imply making sacrifice, huge ones!

The End of the Tour (FYC Album).jpg

That doesn't sound like a regular Elfman score and perhaps that's too bad. I find it really annoying maybe it works better in the movie but here that's just minimalist piano and light percussion

15 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

That doesn't sound like a regular Elfman score and perhaps that's too bad. I find it really annoying maybe it works better in the movie but here that's just minimalist piano and light percussion

That's actually the type of Elfman I prefer these days. Any particular reason you're listening to the promo and not the OST?

Is the 40th Anniversery Edition of the Omen significatly better than the original Deluxe Edition?

Finding Dory (FYC Album).jpg

I've never listen to it before but it certainly might be a top 5 Newman score for me. All what I loved in Finding Nemo has been upgraded to an astonishing level, the fun, the sadness, the suspens... A real masterpiece!

45 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Is the 40th Anniversery Edition of the Omen significatly better than the original Deluxe Edition?

I don't know, I only have the OST and the 40th edition.

47 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've never listen to it before but it certainly might be a top 5 Newman score for me. All what I loved in Finding Nemo has been upgraded to an astonishing level, the fun, the sadness, the suspens... A real masterpiece!

On your first comment regarding the Omen. I would say so. It’s complete (I believe) and sounds even better. Well worth the investment.

I love both of Newman’s Nemo/Dory scores. But the second definitely effectively builds on the first. Love the witty suspense music for the second in particular. If only some of his recent “adult” movie scores were that engaging.  

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Ps. Does the FYC contain any meaningful additional material?

21 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ps. Does the FYC contain any meaningful additional material?

Sorry I didn't see your question yesterday. I think it's exactly the same things, at least the titles and the length are the sam. I don't know if there is some micro edits but I seriously doubt that.

First Man (FYC Album).jpg

Another great score from Hurwitz that should have deserve more recognition. The Landing is such an incredible title (plus this one is extended to 6:43 instead of 5:31) so is the Armstrong theme and the Mutli Axi Trainer cue

The Fugitive (Expanded Archival Collection).jpg

Definitely one of my top five JNH's score. Lots of really good action and suspense cues which truly build a great thriller score.

Though I don't know if I prefer this one or the Goldsmith sequel.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, May the Force be with You said:

Another minimalist score but this time I really dig it, probably because I've seen the movie before.

The film is one of my favourites from the entire 2010s. Perhaps even on top of the list. The score is fine, but a bit challenging on its own. Lots of zithering textures.

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Another great score from Hurwitz that should have deserve more recognition. The Landing is such an incredible title (plus this one is extended to 6:43 instead of 5:31) so is the Armstrong theme and the Mutli Axi Trainer cue

Well, it did receive an Oscar nomination, if memory serves, so pretty well recognized. I'm afraid I didn't quite "get it" myself, nor have I any of Hurwitz' output so far. Maybe some day, like what happened with Brittell.

Just now, Thor said:

The film is one of my favourites from the entire 2010s. Perhaps even on top of the list. The score is fine, but a bit challenging on its own. Lots of zithering textures.

Same feelings about Ex_Machina. I find the casting perfect, great direction and script also.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, it did receive an Oscar nomination, if memory serves, so pretty well recognized. I'm afraid I didn't quite "get it" myself, nor have I any of Hurwitz' output so far. Maybe some day, like what happened with Brittell.

About First Man, it didn't received an Oscar nomination actually even though it did get a Globes. What I meant is that I felt like if the movie and the score have naver happen, like if they have been immediatly forgotten.  Perhaps it's just me.

Which Britell's score would you considered to be the best? I'm currently listening to some of him and I really like them so I'm open to suggestion.

17 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

About First Man, it didn't received an Oscar nomination actually even though it did get a Globes.

Ah, was it the Globes? Yeah, you're probably right. I knew it got something. A lot of people I know raved about the film and score at the time.

Which Britell's score would you considered to be the best? I'm currently listening to some of him and I really like them so I'm open to suggestion.

SUCCESSION is the only one I've liked to far (reviewed here), but it only takes one title to prove that he's got it. Hence I'm far more open to new Brittell now than I was before. Still waiting for Hurwitz to have the same effect.

A-9057-Enjott-Dokumentationen.jpg

German composer Enjott Schneider (born 1950) is one I've been curious about for years and years, but never really got to check out. With this impressive 3CD set, soon to be widely released, he displays an impressive range and some highly listenable material. Love the vast, east-meets-west, exotic tropes in FÄHRPASSAGEN: PHILIPPINEN, for example, which is where I'm at now.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You need to know better people. ;)

I mean, FIRST MAN is an OK film and an OK score, but not the masterpiece it was held to be by some.

The film has some great directing ideas, Chazelle really followed Cuaron's steps and really focused on the tension that astronaut can feel at each launch.

About the score I find the second part to be absolutely astonishing, especially the Landing part which has a waltz like tone and offer a really magical atmosphere to the moon discovery

Now I understand that one might not like it but I wouldn't call this movie/score overrated

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

I mean, FIRST MAN is an OK film and an OK score, but not the masterpiece it was held to be by some.

The film is brilliant, one of the best I've seen from recent years. The score fits very well and has two or three powerful moments. It's a better listen on album that I'd expected, too.

The movie was a washout, but the score one of the select (and demoralizing) few with a memorable tune at its core *and* a distinctive orchestration style to boot. Which alone should have netted it an Oscar.

44 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hard not to focus on John Williams efforts's for that incredible year!

Oh my... 1977!

What a year!!!

Islands in the stream, Black Sunday, Star Wars & CE3K...

20210517_134201.jpg

Find the intruder with Bespin  :P

The day you'll make a 2005 selection you'll only have JW

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hard not to focus on John Williams efforts's for that incredible year!

Oh my... 1977!

What a year!!!

Islands in the stream, Black Sunday, Star Wars & CE3K...

20210517_134201.jpg

I still have my Star Wars RCA book/slipcase editions.  Those are a thing of beauty, rivalled perhaps only by the Anthology.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

A really fun score really like the movie. I've never heard of that composer before, now I'll have to check his other works.

His music for MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE is quite good. He's worked a lot with the RC crowd, providing additional music for quite a few high profile movies, but seems to have established a career of his own at this point.

Jerry Goldsmith - Inchon (new Intrada complete)

Finally listened to this.  It's great!  The best presentation of the score there is.

John Williams - How To Steal A Million (fan edit from iso score)

The main title cue is really great, a hidden gem I neglected until now.  The rest of the score is.... ok.

John Williams - The Lost World (Complete)

A+

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager (VHS rip)

I love it!

Actually, @Bespin, THE FURY was composed in nineteen seventy se- what the hell?????!!!!!

The score for THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL was not written by JW

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager (VHS rip)

I love it!

Agreed, Jay. It's an almost unheard score.

I always couple it with Stanley Myers' THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - How To Steal A Million (fan edit from iso score)

The main title cue is really great, a hidden gem I neglected until now.  The rest of the score is.... ok.

Is that different/better/more than the Intrada?

Yea hopefully!  It sounds better than the Intrada CD as well.

The Twilight Time release came out in 2017 and MM did the isolated score.  The Intrada edition was from 2008!

I tried searching but it doesn't seem that the TT BD was discussed much on JWFan for some reason...