What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I don't connect with it, but if I'm honest, that's usually the case with Goldsmith. I guess he's Lennon and Williams is McCartney?

Same here. It's one of the JG CDs I've sold or traded away. Nice theme, but the rest just wanders.

Supergirl (Jerry) - after the negative comments earlier I thought I'd give it a listen. I concede that it does get a bit repetitive at times and it's certainly not a patch of Superman but I still think it's a fun score with a super catchy set of themes, even if the swirling strings around the love theme gets a bit much after a while, and they are repeated perhaps a touch too often by the end. The action music is variable, but it's Jerry, even his less inspired stuff is pretty great and the flying ballet is terrific.

I gave the Roy Budd conducted suite a listen too (I'm pretty sure I heard the Supergirl theme about 435,342,903 times today), even if it's a bit disjointed as an arrangement and, as I've commented previously, weirdly includes about 2 bars of the villain theme before the main theme reappears for the final time. It almost sounds like a bad edit of the tape whereas presumably it was just two bars slotted into the sheet music. Also gave the Telarc version from their Superheroes album another whirl. The performance feels a bit anaemic; the luscious strings of the original album replaced with and almost invisibly thin string section. It doesn't help that the recording isn't a patch on the old Kunzel recordings. I don't really know what went wrong with that one. The rest of the album is better, but you do miss Erich and his engineers.

The Danish Girl (Alexandre Desplat) - if you had to pick an archetypal Desplat score this would easily make the running. Beautifully delicate strings and piano arrangements, Oscar bait style drama, just the right amount of melancholy.

Now I need to work out whether the optical port on the computer or my amp is broken...

Sorry inside voice ;-)

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Supergirl (Jerry) - after the negative comments earlier I thought I'd give it a listen. I concede that it does get a bit repetitive at times and it's certainly not a patch of Superman but I still think it's a fun score with a super catchy set of themes, even if the swirling strings around the love theme gets a bit much after a while, and they are repeated perhaps a touch too often by the end. The action music is variable, but it's Jerry, even his less inspired stuff is pretty great and the flying ballet is terrific.

The action cues (Monster Storm, Final Victory) are certainly preferable (to me) to Superman's, which sound old-fashioned and too much like Star Wars (everything that comes before the tail end of Fortress of Solitutude is the real selling point). But the muddy/bad mix lets it down. 

It's second-tier JG, but i certainly *would* pay for a well-mastered release in this case. 

The OST CD has been Out of Print for a while

In December 2014, Varese Sarabande released a 2CD Deluxe Edition produced, assembled, and mixed by Mike Matessino.

That sold out in December 2016.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The theme is an absolutely perfect encore piece.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In the meantime I frequently mix up that Supergirl march with Goldsmith's Star Trek march.

Perhaps that's why the Trekkies won.

I initially was harsher on Supergirl, since the bootleg I have used to sound so flat to my ears (bad audio equipment can do that), and anything past the main titles track did so little for me. However, the last time I heard it, I got so into it that I think I legitimately like it more than any of the Superman sequels. Definitely would need to give it another go before I can solidify my thoughts.

ab67616d0000b2734cc9466efe80797a108038ac

One of the 10 best synth-led scores of all time, IMO, and also one of the best scores since the millennium turnover. And of course my favourite Isham. Loads of accolades at one time here, but it deserves it. Has become somewhat of a classic already. Dreamy, warm cushions of sound, and perfect for this morning where I woke far too early.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

One of the 10 best synth-led scores of all time, IMO, and also one of the best scores since the millennium turnover. And of course my favourite Isham. Loads of accolades at one time here, but it deserves it. Has become somewhat of a classic already. Dreamy, warm cushions of sound, and perfect for this morning where I woke far too early.

If only the movie weren't such a monstrosity.

Ha, ha. Yes, I'm aware it has its critics. Guess I'm one of the few who quite like it, despite its rather feeble attempt at being a SHORT CUTS/MAGNOLIA-type "wickerwork-film" (as we call it in Norway).

ab67616d0000b273f5ff7c58f59fb8c487410ecf

The Young score album is OK, but no thank you. This is where it's at! My favourite DJ/EDM composer of the last 30 years delivers a smokingly delicious album that is one of the best electronica-fused score albums in the same period. If funk had been invented in the 90s, this is how it would have sounded.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Yes, I'm aware it has its critics. Guess I'm one of the few who quite like it, despite its rather feeble attempt at being a SHORT CUTS/MAGNOLIA-type "wickerwork-film" (as we call it in Norway).

Geez, Louise, Thor! I never thought you'd mention the masterworks that are MAGNOLIA, and SHORT CUTS, in the same sentence as CRASH.

I have officially read it all :lol:

It's one of his best, Aenae. Most def top 5 EG for me.

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Louise, Thor! I never thought you'd mention the masterworks that are MAGNOLIA, and SHORT CUTS, in the same sentence as CRASH.

I have officially read it all :lol:

Ha, ha....my point was rather that it ASPIRED to be that type of film and that kind of ambition, but doesn't really succeed very well. Still, I like it.

17 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Is this movie good? Because there's a nice cast

Yeah, I remember it as pretty good. Bloated and pulpy, but energetic and loaded with style.

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

HTTYD afternoon. Great trilogy from Powell, the first is still my favourite (probably because it's the only one properly expanded yet)

That's a solid afternoon. I love 2 SO much. I think the only thing that I know that I want expanded from 2 is the instrumental of Where No One Goes with the orchestration during Hiccup's "THIS is Berk!" at the end of the movie.

I'm not missing anything from 3.

Care to enlighten me on what I'm missing?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

That's a solid afternoon. I love 2 SO much. I think the only thing that I know that I want expanded from 2 is the instrumental of Where No One Goes with the orchestration during Hiccup's "THIS is Berk!" at the end of the movie.

I'm not missing anything from 3.

Care to enlighten me on what I'm missing?

From 2?

There are a few alternates in demo form that popped up in one of those "first ## minutes of the film" thingies, some promotional stuff (ads etc.), and in a phone game app.

There are a couple cues that were missing from the OST that are on the FYC

Dragon Races Film Opening (FYC, first ## minutes video has demo from Dragon Races to Together We Map the World)

Where No One Goes (Orchestral ending for crash landing)

Together We Map the World (FYC version includes additional statement of Astrid theme)

Eret Educates Hiccup 1m6 (FYC)

Drago's Coming! (Partially on OST, FYC has more, Game app has demo version)

Me Likey 2m9 (FYC)

War Is What He Wants 2m10 (FYC)

I Grew Facial Hair For You 3m19 (FYC)

Flying With Mother film mix (FYC)

Flying With Mother (Demo version from Website game)

Can We Start Over 3m21 (FYC)

Get Em, You Son of Eret! 3m27 (FYC)

Riding the Hatchlings 4m35 (FYC)

Where No One Goes Reprise (only in film)

2 hours ago, Aenae said:

Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

large_550_tmp_2F1475517296213-pfb8efvhvf

This is another great score. I think that it is one of the few dozen best film scores ever written even if I do find it to be a bit overrated in some corners.

Written in 7 days, if memory serves.

It's not "one of the few dozen best film scores...".

It's, easily, top 10.

CHINATOWN is great. An exercise in sparse scoring.

ab67616d0000b2733ee5a06b9f48a66e36c27402

One of my favourite scores of 2015. Llewelyn's gorgeous synth score is wide and melodic -- not something you would expect for a horror-centered movie. He was excited when I included it in Celluloid Tunes' top 10 of the year, but it's very deserved.

ab67616d0000b273b76191352fb6378f03d456c2

Knut is a good friend of mine, but I always felt his CONAN game scores were top of the pops. Huge orchestral forces, but also wonderful medieval instrumentation. Always memorable themes.

I discovered Nemesis this afternoon.

Great OST!

This score is among the last ones of Jerry Goldsmith, yeah it have the known big theme twice or third times, but it's different... a bit minimalistic.

A great late score by a genius composer, I was moved!

On 8/15/2021 at 11:14 PM, Aenae said:

Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

4842.jpg

Fantastic score. Goldenthal wrote one great score after another in the 1990s. He and his work is underrated in my opinion. Goldenthal will always be one of my top 5 favorite composers.

Heat - Elliot Goldenthal

Heat-Original-Soundtrack-Expanded-cover.

This score/film combo remains sublime for me. It is one of my top 10 films of all time and will probably always be. I rate the score VERY highly too. Goldenthal hit the jackpot and got an inspiring film to work with. This score, just like his magnum opus Alien 3, has the potential of reducing me to tears. I love the ethereal cityscape that the score conjures up so much.

I think this track perfectly encapsulates what you described as "ethereal cityscape":

Stunning stuff

81e6WvKQU2L._SL1500_.jpg

It must have been more than 10 years since the last time I listened to Angela's Ashes. It's one of those Williams CDs you tend to forget you have. The recording is pretty good but it's mostly strings. The score is not bad but it never was all that engaging, IMO (just like the movie).

15 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It must have been more than 10 years since the last time I listened to Angela's Ashes. It's one of those Williams CDs you tend to forget you have. 

I don't. It's easily in my top 10 Williams.

It's the exact opposite of boring. Gorgeous and pastoral through and through. "Angela's Prayer" is one of the very best cues Williams has written in his life.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's quite boring in its extreme repetitivity IMO.

Probably the reason why I start to lose attention after a while. Occasionally I regain focus with the pizzicato and the oboe parts.