What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Richie Rich - Alan Silvestri

One of the most underrated Silvestri scores.  He's at the very top of his game here, masterful.  He used to use the orchestra so colorfully, I feel like that's disappeared from his writing over the last 10 years, the last two Avengers scores have their highlights but just in terms of the orchestration they're quite monochromatic IMO.

The Village - James Newton Howard

One of the finest scores to come from the odd pairing of Howard and M. Night. This one gets lots of plays during autumn time. Looks like this year it made it to winter too. The slow emotional parts in particular always blow me away.

I think the following sequence works quite well as a 15 minute suite - worthy of concert halls. Give it a try.

1. Will You Help Me?

2. The Gravel Road

3. I Cannot See His Color

4. The Vote

Oh, that violin solo during the final 2 minutes of The Vote always melts me.

The Social Network by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

It's quite entertaining but not oscar worthy (at least this year), I prefered there Soul's score which was similar in a lot of aspect and more accomplished.

Modern Vampires.jpg

I actually got sent this super rare CD-R from Richard Elfman's girlfriend in the early 2000s, alongside a signed mini-poster of the film (signed by Richard and Danny). Since it still hasn't had a commercial release, that's kinda precious to me, CD-R or not. The score is only 13 minutes. Elfman has two tracks, i.e. two iterations of the Revenant theme (in his pulsating 90s style a la FREEWAY, MEN IN BLACK and DEAD PRESIDENTS), while Wandmacher has the other four, ranging from tango to hip hop to metal to 50s pop to horror music. It's all very eclectic. 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Because 'tis the season (one of my fav A. Newmans, btw).

It's lovely but always overshadowed by Rozsa's King of Kings for me (doesn't help that the King of Kings movie itself is also far superior).  The Kings Tadlow re-recording is one of the best film music releases of the past couple of years.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's lovely but always overshadowed by Rozsa's King of Kings for me (doesn't help that the King of Kings movie itself is also far superior).  The Kings Tadlow re-recording is one of the best film music releases of the past couple of years.

I'm biased because I once owned TGSET on VHS and saw it many times. I really like that film. Whereas with KING OF KINGS, I've only seen it once, many years ago, and am in no position to remember its qualities. But yeah -- score-wise, I'd go with KOK too, as much as I like TGSET.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

R-10195103-1493205394-2145.jpeg.jpg

Because 'tis the season (one of my fav A. Newmans, btw).

It's not a bad film, but how is a story about the life, death, and ressurection of Christ, a Christmas film?

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm biased because I once owned TGSET on VHS and saw it many times. I really like that film. Whereas with KING OF KINGS, I've only seen it once, many years ago, and am in no position to remember its qualities. But yeah -- score-wise, I'd go with KOK too, as much as I like TGSET.

I watch KING OF KINGS every now and then. As a film, it's interesting, in as much as Christ is almost a side character, in his own movie. The narrative weaves around others' reactions to Christ, more than his teachings or works.

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD is told in a more straightforward way.

Neither of them can hold a candle to JESUS OF NAZARETH, but both have great scores.

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's not a bad film, but how is a story about the life, death, and ressurection of Christ, a Christmas film?

In the sense that it's not strictly about the Nativity, I guess it isn't. More of an Easter film, perhaps. But this kind of old religious epic always has a Christmas vibe to it anyway. At least to me.

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I watch KING OF KINGS every now and then. As a film, it's interesting, in as much as Christ is almost a side character, in his own movie. The narrative weaves around others' reactions to Christ, more than his teachings or works.

Yeah, same approach as BEN HUR. I should rewatch KING OF KINGS one of these days; it remains one of my top 3 Rozsa scores.

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

about the Nativity,

I hear that Chad Kroeger from Nickelback, absolutely loves to take part in Nativity plays. He's played a shepherd, the inn keeper and one year, he even played the rear end of the donkey...

But he's never made it as a wise man. 

The Horse Whisperer is my second favorite TN (behind Shawshank) and also one of my favorites of all time. It's wonderful.

The Green Mile is also great and very touching -should've been Oscar nominated that year. And Road to Perdition is pretty good, the opening cue is one of the best cues he ever wrote. 

24 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Timeline by Jerry Goldsmith

Simply excellent! I want more of it.

Then get every Goldsmith action score between 1995 and 2002 and you are there.

I don't have Timeline yet and I will wait for a new release (which will eventually happen considering Varese's recent Deluxe rampage), but honestly from listening to a few bits on YouTube it doesn't seem a late highlight of the composer.

1 hour ago, badbu said:

Max Richter - Hostiles 

For all my Richter fandom (I have 25 albums of his), I was never able to get into this. Perhaps a bit too stark, I don't know.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't have Timeline yet and I will wait for a new release (which will eventually happen considering Varese's recent Deluxe rampage), but honestly from listening to a few bits on YouTube it doesn't seem a late highlight of the composer.

There are some individual cues that are better than most of his action scores of the period, but in idiom and orchestration it's too similar to them to make a splash. Timeline would have been a winner if it only would have come at the beginning of this cycle, i. e. around Chain Reaction.

Kuffs.jpg

Faltermeyer -- always alert towards what was happening on the pop scene -- infuses his own style with the then-popular new jack swing style (perhaps most popular on MJ's 1991 DANGEROUS album) in 1992. I dig this score. But why Milan decided to have a b/w cover that makes it look like a xerox copy of the real thing, is beyond me.

King of Kings - Miklos Rozsa (Tadlow re-recording)

Listened to this in two sittings after it came up yesterday.  Such a brilliant example of musical storytelling.

I personally think the Lord's Prayer is Rozsa's greatest melody of his entire career (and boy does it sound gorgeous in the re-recording)

I am not big on religion, so i beg to differ (about that tune). But i also agree that it's one of his greats, and testament to a magic gift in regards to timeless melodies. It's one case where i could have done with the (good sounding) Rhino and preferred to have the 'Jungle Book' as a new recording instead, but it's still great.

I'm not big on violence and killing, but there are parts of the Star Wars, and Indiana Jones scores, that are completely gob-smacking.

I'm a big fan of the re-recorded EL CID.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Kuffs.jpg

Faltermeyer...infuses his own style with the then-popular new jack swing style (perhaps most popular on MJ's 1991 DANGEROUS album)...why Milan decided to have a b/w cover that makes it look like a xerox copy of the real thing, is beyond me.

It's black or white :lol:

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not big on violence and killing, but there are parts of the Star Wars, and Indiana Jones scores, that are completely gob-smacking.

Snowflake stuff.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

For all my Richter fandom (I have 25 albums of his), I was never able to get into this. Perhaps a bit too stark, I don't know.

oh really? it's one of my favorites from him :) 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a bit hard to get into it for me as well, even though it's probably one of the three scores that I've noticed the more in a movie he scored along with Mary Queen of Scots (my favourite) and Perfect Sense (which is also hard to fully appreciate)

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

King of Kings - Miklos Rozsa (Tadlow re-recording)

Listened to this in two sittings after it came up yesterday.  Such a brilliant example of musical storytelling.

I personally think the Lord's Prayer is Rozsa's greatest melody of his entire career (and boy does it sound gorgeous in the re-recording)

This peticularly reminds me of something from Beethoven. Anyway, Rózsa was the first of the film composers form the 40s and 50s who, for me at least, wrote reconizable themes, that you still have in your head after the movie. Ok, when you saw Gone with the Wind you also can hardly get that main theme out of your head. But Rózsa had quite some hits. The main theme of King of Kings belongs to that as well for sure.

And yes, I also would like to have another re-recording of "The Jungle Book". Good that there is at least that 30 minutes suite from the BBC Philharmonic.

By the way, his greatest melody for me is still this:

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I personally think the Lord's Prayer is Rozsa's greatest melody of his entire career (and boy does it sound gorgeous in the re-recording).

Agreed. While it's a straight church music/psalm pastiche and not at all representative of Rozsa's "sound" as a composer, I still think it's the best bloody compositon he wrote in his entire life.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Agreed. While it's a straight church music/psalm pastiche and not at all representative of Rozsa's "sound" as a composer

There's plenty of Rozsa in it. Plus just enough of this Tallis piece to make me wonder if it can be accidental:

54 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There's plenty of Rozsa in it. 

A bit. It has some of those same chromatic movements as in his other religioso moments. But it's by no means a cue you play to someone to let them know what "The Rozsa Sound" is.