What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Isham also plays a mean trumpet, on XTC's album ORANGES AND LEMONS, especially the tracks Across This Antheap, and Miniature Sun.

Yeah, I've heard some of that, it's crazy stuff.

I always loved that song Life Begins At The Hop. The video was always a place I thought I'd like to be incredibly high within. But then all their music videos were a bit trippy.

May the fourth be with you!

Listening this "unusual" playlist made for the 30th anniversary of Star Wars (known as "Star Wars: The Corellian Edition") and reissued on the 3rd CD of this 2015 Sony boxset.

20220504_095523.jpg

I understand, If I can’t focus only on one thing, I might as well listen to a compilation, rather than a complete score.

Here's a nice compilation published by Lucasfilm for the 2017 anniversary: The Star Wars Sampler.

In terms of influence, there's no objective argument that Barber had more than Copland.  In terms of their music itself, they had very different approaches and it's just down to personal taste.  It's like someone saying "Goldsmith > Williams," I'm not gonna argue with that, we like what we like.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

In terms of influence, there's no objective argument that Barber had more than Copland.  In terms of their music itself, they had very different approaches and it's just down to personal taste.  It's like someone saying "Goldsmith > Williams," I'm not gonna argue with that, we like what we like.

I like a lot of Copland, but that Adagio For Strings thing (you know the one. It's heard in THE ELEPHANT MAN, and PLATOON) is 10 minutes of pure tedium. 

You know, I didn't listen to any Star Wars yesterday. Well, I had the film on in the background. I'm going to Disneyland right around the real Star Wars day so I'm sure I will overload then.

The Dark Crystal (Trevor Jones) 1982

I'm trying to listen to at least one thing a day that I haven't listened to in the last six months. (Also known as "Put Star Trek: The Motion Picture DOWN, boy!")

Obviously this is gorgeous. It has that big Early 80's Fantasy Sound. It almost feels like a more melodic Dragonslayer at some points. The big sweeping melodies sound kind of like a throwback and also like not much that's been written before or since.

20 hours ago, Tallguy said:

You know, I didn't listen to any Star Wars yesterday. Well, I had the film on in the background. I'm going to Disneyland right around the real Star Wars day so I'm sure I will overload then.

The Dark Crystal (Trevor Jones) 1982

I'm trying to listen to at least one thing a day that I haven't listened to in the last six months. (Also known as "Put Star Trek: The Motion Picture DOWN, boy!")

Obviously this is gorgeous. It has that big Early 80's Fantasy Sound. It almost feels like a more melodic Dragonslayer at some points. The big sweeping melodies sound kind of like a throwback and also like not much that's been written before or since.

THE DARK CRYSTAL is gorgeous.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Escape Room.

shark kind GIF

Metropolis: The Moroder album. You probably had to be around in the '80's to not hate this album. Even then it's not a sure thing.

But I still love this album. (Hey, it's got some score in it!)

25 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Metropolis: The Moroder album. You probably had to be around in the '80's to not hate this album. Even then it's not a sure thing.

But I still love this album. (Hey, it's got some score in it!)

I have promo - which is probably a rip from the laser disc - that has the complete score.The film versions of the songs are SO much better than the tepid album versions.

would love to see an official complete score and songs cd released

Gave Jumanji a trial run. Lots of lovely bits in the Titanic-JP-crazy shit fusion, but no ample time for either and it jumps back and forth with little comprehensible structure or arc, will make even less sense if you don't know the movie well. Most of the action is impressively restrained but so much so that I missed that we already went past the climax. Probably won't buy it, maybe put it on the backburner to buy with something years down the line. Pity because I really like the good stuff.

image.png

Jesus, that took me some time to edit...and it badly needed it. 'Jumanji's main attraction is the collision of hard-edged modernist writing, standing in for the many threats that come out of the game, and the family-friendly Horner sentiment that brackets it. But the way the movie is built, there are so many cues that do not stand on its own that it's just no fun listening to it complete/chronological. Vulgo, Horner's own assembly was kinda neat, though my own edits of a few cues into 'First Move' and 'Store Mayhem', a cue that was absent from the Sony album, make it a bit more rounded. It's still a bit of an odd duck, but fair enough.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b273705ea37f977eb9a2c8961401

I only came to this 1994 effort a few years ago, much too late. Don't know why it took me so long, because it's really my favourite kind of JNH. Moody, windswept Americana and some gorgeous electronic/piano textures.

I absolutely love this one! Thank you so much for reminding me of it Thor. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

Medal of Honor: Airborne / Frontline / Allied Assault / Vanguard / Underground by Michael Giacchino

I've recently come up with Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond which was really great and decided to give a run to all the previous one now they're all on youtube. Well it's all very good, Giacchino built uo a nice collection of themes with some very efficient action writings.

Intersection by James Newton Howard

Never heard of this score nor movie before Thor's post. It's certainly a really good score that I definitly to listen more

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Monsters University 

This is the actual best Pixar score 

I love that score!! The brass is soo good.

I'm still kinda mad that the instrumental version of the song that plays over the end credits and once in the film was never released in HQ

9 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Monsters University 

This is the actual best Pixar score

Interesting... I disliked the movie so much I never found out.

Memphis Belle - 1990 - George Fenton

I haven't listened to this is ages. And I haven't seen the film in forever. Back in The Day I listened to this, Always, and The Rocketeer constantly.

This didn't turn out to be my gateway to Fenton. I know who he is, but I never got into any of his other scores. This one OTOH is a delight.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

This didn't turn out to be my gateway to Fenton. I know who he is, but I never got into any of his other scores. This one OTOH is a delight.

Sorry to hear it didn't become a Fenton gateway for you. I like MEMPHIS BELLE just fine, but there are many I love more. ANNA AND THE KING is the favourite of them all; maybe that will prove a new gateway for you.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also, try THE COMPANY OF WOLVES, THE FISHER KING, HIGH SPIRITS, CRY FREEDOM, DANGEROUS LIAISONS, 84 CHARRING CROSS RD., and MARY REILLY.

And Planet Earth. That's my clear favorite from his documentary scores