Jump to content

What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)


Ollie

Recommended Posts

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '94

 

Hollywood '94 by VARIOUS ARTISTS on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

 

 

This time it is Joel McNeely conducting the Seattle Symphony Orchestra with no needle-drops, and while the performance is not anything to write home about, the selection is pretty good.

 

Jurassic Park by John Williams - Since this album predates the Williams on Williams album, was this the first time the concert version of the theme was released on an album?  The performance is noticeably unrehearsed here, with the brass making some painful sounds at times.

 

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith - So nice I listened to it twice.  This is a Jerry score I've completely neglected, and really need to rectify that!

 

Forrest Gump by Alan Silvestri - This was lovely, and reminded me I never picked up the score album...

 

The Age of Innocence by Elmer Bernstein - Even after two listens this made no impact on me >shrug<

 

Squanto by Joel McNeely - This was actually really nice!  I wonder if Intrada will ever re-issue their score album

 

Maverick by Randy Newman - Woah, this was a highlight of the album for me!  I've never seen this movie or heard a note of this score before (and honestly haven't ever listened to any Randy Newman scores that weren't Toy Story ones), but this was SUPER fun.  Is the whole score album like this, or is this all the highlights?

 

Schindler's List by John Williams - This was fine

 

True Lies by Brad Fiedel - So I've always liked this score and its score album, and this suite nicely covers some action material, but doesn't really give the main theme a big blow-out presentation like it gets on its score album.  Huh.

 

The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman - Well, this is a good score to a great movie, but I can't say I ever really feel compelled to listen to the score.  I think I enjoy the full complete experience of listening to the LLL album more than trying to listen to a 4 1/2 minute highlight suite like this.  It's the kind of score you just need the whole thing to really get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith - So nice I listened to it twice.  This is a Jerry score I've completely neglected, and really need to rectify that!

 

I always wanted a really good representation of the theme and this was not that. How many "Theme from ..." tracks did Goldsmith write? You know with a clean open (lots) and a proper ending that didn't fade into something else? (Just about 0.)

 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maverick by Randy Newman - Woah, this was a highlight of the album for me!  I've never seen this movie or heard a note of this score before (and honestly haven't ever listened to any Randy Newman scores that weren't Toy Story ones), but this was SUPER fun.  Is the whole score album like this, or is this all the highlights?

 

This is probably the big one. But the score has a lot to offer. I bought it after loving this track and I wasn't disappointed. I think I'll go listen to it now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

I always wanted a really good representation of the theme and this was not that. How many "Theme from ..." tracks did Goldsmith write? You know with a clean open (lots) and a proper ending that didn't fade into something else? (Just about 0.)

 

Other than the concert version of the main theme from Star Trek The Motion Picture (re-created with film recordings on the LLL 3-CD version), nothing immediately comes to mind!

 

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

This is probably the big one. But the score has a lot to offer. I bought it after loving this track and I wasn't disappointed. I think I'll go listen to it now!

 

I'll have to see if I can track it down!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'll have to see if I can track it down!

 

It's on the streamers. I haven't seen the film in 20+ years. I bet it's aged pretty well. Especially since "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

 

 

It's very much "Hey, I bet this would sound good with a toy cowboy and a spaceman next year!" If you chalk that up to the "Randy Newman-ness" of the score you'll be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '95

 

71Jn4hVXHsL._SL1200_.jpg

 

All re-recordings again, this time it's Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

 

Batman Forever by Elliot Goldenthal - I love that this album opens with a whopping 5 tracks from this score - and they are all great!  This was all I had from the score until the LLL expansion, which I also love

 

Apollo 13 by James Horner - this is one of my favorite scores of all time, and this is a great recording of my favorite cue in it!

 

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri - this is an excellent suite from this really cool score!

 

Judge Dredd by Jerry Goldsmith - this is one of the best trailer cues ever, and this recording of it is only OK - Jerry's original recording has WAY better energy

 

Casper by James Horner - It's funny, I never knew this score back in the day (I never even saw the movie until a couple years ago), but now hearing it after I've heard the LLL expansion a bunch of times, I found myself really liking this track a lot.  They did a nice job with this already very nice arrangement!

 

Waterworld by James Newton Howard - Man - I love this score, and this is a nice recording of the finale cue.  But if there was any score represented here that deserved more than one track, it's this one; If they had also included "Swimming" and one of the action cues, this album would be significantly stronger!

 

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith - I dunno, I still can't get into this score at all

 

Braveheart by James Horner - Excellent music here!

 

That Hamilton Woman by Miklos Rozsa - This is here because Rozsa passed away in the summer of 95.  It's OK.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Judge Dredd by Jerry Goldsmith - this is one of the best trailer cues ever, and this recording of it is only OK - Jerry's original recording has WAY better energy

 

Maybe I just got used to this one. Jerry's electronics make it feel like a demo. (And I usually like Jerry's electronics.)

 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Casper by James Horner - It's funny, I never knew this score back in the day (I never even saw the movie until a couple years ago), but now hearing it after I've heard the LLL expansion a bunch of times, I found myself really liking this track a lot.  They did a nice job with this already very nice arrangement!

 

I had the original disc. After I got this I decided that as amazing as this track is, it's all I really need.

 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith - I dunno, I still can't get into this score at all

 

:eh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '96

 

Stock photo

 

Hollywood '96 by Original Soundtrack (CD, Nov-1996, Varèse Sarabande (USA))  for sale online | eBay

 

Just like last year, it's Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra again, and it's a pretty good performance!  Unfortunately though, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the previous years; both were recorded in the same location with Geoff Foster as the recording engineer, but '95 was mastered by Joe Gastwirt while this one was mastered by Bruce Botnick and I dunno what it is, but it's like the orchestra is very distant from the microphones or something.  Unfortunate!

 

 

Mission Impossible by Lalo Schifrin - I remember thinking that this was Alan Silvestri's arrangement before he left the project, but he's not credited here and it sounds like a typical arrangement of the theme to me so I dunno why I had that memory.  It's too bad they didn't record something from Elfman's score!

 

Twister by Mark Mancina - this is cool because this medley opens with the full cue that also opens the score album, but it was truncated there - here we get to hear the full cue! It's a decent medley of the opening cue followed by two cues from the end, though doesn't really cover the breadth of the score like all the cool music for the tornadoes

 

Fargo by Carter Burwell - This is nice!

 

A Time To Kill by Elliot Goldenthal - Man, is all of this guys music always SO BIG? Isn't this a Grisham law thriller? (I've never seen it)

 

Sabrina by John Williams - Now that I finally saw this movie a couple years ago, this is nice to hear for sure - thought the gorgeous re-recording on Cinema Serenade is better

 

Phenomenon by Thomas Newman - This one didn't do anything for me

 

Flipper by Joel McNeely - hey, this is nice, and fun!  I don't think I've ever paid attention to this before!  Is the whole album good?

 

Emma by Rachel Portman - This is quite nice!

 

Tin Cup by William Ross - Woah!  This was great!  How have I been neglecting this guys music all these years?  Must rectify that...

 

Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann - This is of course great music, but boy does it feel out of place here (it's here because the had showings of a restored and remastered print in 1996 apparently?)


The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Alan Menken - Wow!  This was really awesome too!  I have never listened to this score, or any Menken scores....

 

Independence Day by David Arnold - This is really cool because just like Twister, this cue was truncated on the OST album, and this was the only way to hear the full cue (a different cue is used in the movie) until the LLL set eventually came out 14 years later (unless you're a bootleg guy).  What a great, rousing finish to this album!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/07/2022 at 2:47 PM, Jay said:

Varese compilation - Screen Themes (1988)

 

Primary

 

Secondary, 4 of 4

 

 

A nice compilation of music from many films of 1988!  It features John Scott conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in new recordings of:

 

Big by Howard Shore - Oh, this was so lovely it made me want to immediately check out the whole score album!

Shoot to Kill by John Scott - decent

Coming to American by Niles Rodgers - Hey, this was fun!

Masquerade by John Barry - nice

Da by Elmer Bernstein - ok

Die Hard by Michael Kamen - I don't think I've ever heard any re-recordings of this score before.  It was good!

The Milagro Beanfield War by Dave Grusin - nice

 

And then needle-dropped OST tracks from

 

Beetlejuice by Danny Elfman - obviously fantastic, and a nice album opener

Crossing Delancey by Paul Chihara - meh

Cocoon: The Return by James Horner - oooh, this was fun!  It reminded me that I need to revisit his two Cocoon scores

Madame Sousatzka by Gerard Gouriet - nice

Criminal Law by Jerry Goldsmith - I loved that I could tell this was Jerry even though I've never even heard of this score.  Everything he does is great

Nightmare of Elm Street 4 by Craig Safan - Hey, I actually liked this!  The organ sounded cool

Betrayed by Bill Conti - ok

Who Framed Roger Rabbit by Alan Silvestri - I remember liking this score in general, but this 11 minute suite was kind of all over the place....

An enjoyable, if quite random collection which I enjoyed giving another listen to earlier today. However, I thought the track from Who Framed Roger Rabbit was conducted by John Scott? I'm sure it's the same performance on Voyages: The Film Music Journeys of AS which is credited as being conducted by Scott. Either way, I clearly like that suite more than you, it's quite a random mix of styles in the score so guess it's hardly surprising the suite is fairly eclectic. Curious that it's listed as "End Title Suite" but is far longer than either the version on the OST or expanded presentation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no idea - I assumed anything on that back cover without the * moniker was taken from their OST albums, but clearly that's not the case with this one >shrug<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love these Varèse re-recordings (even if sometimes they mix them with original recordings), they are the witnesses of an era, of a specific year... And I love time traveling!

 

@JayDon't forget the 1991 (vol. 1 & vol. 2) and 1993 editions, which are true compilations.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't own those.  I listened to the 4 I own

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jungle Book - John Debney

 

This might be my favourite score of his. Everything just works. Orchestra, drums, solo instruments & choir. Big themes & statements of themes from the original film.

 

I've always felt that Debney doesn't get enough credit for the great orchestral composer he is. Especially with him for a long time mostly doing comedies etc.

 

So I'm very glad that after this film he got to work on The Orville. Great composer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/07/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jay said:

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '94

 

Hollywood '94 by VARIOUS ARTISTS on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

 

 

This time it is Joel McNeely conducting the Seattle Symphony Orchestra with no needle-drops, and while the performance is not anything to write home about, the selection is pretty good.

 

Jurassic Park by John Williams - Since this album predates the Williams on Williams album, was this the first time the concert version of the theme was released on an album?  The performance is noticeably unrehearsed here, with the brass making some painful sounds at times.

 

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith - So nice I listened to it twice.  This is a Jerry score I've completely neglected, and really need to rectify that!

 

Forrest Gump by Alan Silvestri - This was lovely, and reminded me I never picked up the score album...

 

The Age of Innocence by Elmer Bernstein - Even after two listens this made no impact on me >shrug<

 

Squanto by Joel McNeely - This was actually really nice!  I wonder if Intrada will ever re-issue their score album

 

Maverick by Randy Newman - Woah, this was a highlight of the album for me!  I've never seen this movie or heard a note of this score before (and honestly haven't ever listened to any Randy Newman scores that weren't Toy Story ones), but this was SUPER fun.  Is the whole score album like this, or is this all the highlights?

 

Schindler's List by John Williams - This was fine

 

True Lies by Brad Fiedel - So I've always liked this score and its score album, and this suite nicely covers some action material, but doesn't really give the main theme a big blow-out presentation like it gets on its score album.  Huh.

 

The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman - Well, this is a good score to a great movie, but I can't say I ever really feel compelled to listen to the score.  I think I enjoy the full complete experience of listening to the LLL album more than trying to listen to a 4 1/2 minute highlight suite like this.  It's the kind of score you just need the whole thing to really get it.

A few thoughts on the Hollywood 90 something albums which are much cherished collections from my early collecting days! Hollywood 94 is definitely the weakest, even if the choices are great. I have to go into bat for The Age of Innocence though, one of Elmer's most beautiful scores and the performance here is pretty decent (since it's more strings and woodwinds heavy). The full score is terrific, one of his finest.

 

However, glad you enjoyed Maverick which is a lot of fun. I guess the cue here is probably the highlight of the score (it's a lot of fairly short tracks otherwise) but well worth seeking out. Randy has this story where the director asked him to make the music funnier and Randy asked if sticking the baton up the director's derriere might make it funnier... I'm not sure Maverick was his happiest experience, but it doesn't show in the music. Unrelated to this album, of his other Pixar scores you should (at least) check out A Bug's Life (at least) which is my favourite of his Pixar scores (although the OST is annoyingly missing some of the best cues, which I think are because they include a choir and I'm 99% sure the rest of the score doesn't so I'm guessing it was a cost saving. Glad I have the Oscar promo with the missing tracks.

 

I wanted Squanto ever since Joel McN included it here, but hope it does get a re-release as it's a fine effort that I'm glad to own.

On 12/07/2022 at 4:43 PM, Jay said:

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '95

 

71Jn4hVXHsL._SL1200_.jpg

 

All re-recordings again, this time it's Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

 

Batman Forever by Elliot Goldenthal - I love that this album opens with a whopping 5 tracks from this score - and they are all great!  This was all I had from the score until the LLL expansion, which I also love

 

Apollo 13 by James Horner - this is one of my favorite scores of all time, and this is a great recording of my favorite cue in it!

 

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri - this is an excellent suite from this really cool score!

 

Judge Dredd by Jerry Goldsmith - this is one of the best trailer cues ever, and this recording of it is only OK - Jerry's original recording has WAY better energy

 

Casper by James Horner - It's funny, I never knew this score back in the day (I never even saw the movie until a couple years ago), but now hearing it after I've heard the LLL expansion a bunch of times, I found myself really liking this track a lot.  They did a nice job with this already very nice arrangement!

 

Waterworld by James Newton Howard - Man - I love this score, and this is a nice recording of the finale cue.  But if there was any score represented here that deserved more than one track, it's this one; If they had also included "Swimming" and one of the action cues, this album would be significantly stronger!

 

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith - I dunno, I still can't get into this score at all

 

Braveheart by James Horner - Excellent music here!

 

That Hamilton Woman by Miklos Rozsa - This is here because Rozsa passed away in the summer of 95.  It's OK.

 

One of my all time favourite compilation albums. I think the recording of the Launch from Apollo 13 is better than the original, just that little more pace gives it more energy (especially in the latter, more urgent part from about 7 minutes). The only thing I miss is the five note trumpet motif that should appear at about 7.20 (which is at 7.44 on the original recording). It's such a lovely moment that I really miss it on the H95 version. I can't for the life of me think why it's not there. A minor quibble on an otherwise super inclusion. 1995 really was a banner year for James Horner, and for all the complaints about him copying himself, all three tracks here clearly sound like Horner but nothing like each other, but each instantly memorable. Casper is one of my favourite concert arrangements by Horner, done just in the way the way JW does them (and few other composers do). Is there a thread for "favourite concert arrangements from non-JW scores"? I'd be interested to see other people's thoughts.

 

Agree that the choice from Waterworld is a bit odd, it's not even a proper end credit suite, just the "main credits" track from the OST which is lovely but a touch unrepresentative. Swimming would have been a lovely choice (one of my favourite JNH cues).

 

I do, however, absolutely love That Hamilton Woman, one of my favourite Rozsa themes. Another JW style concert arrangement (albeit predating JW by some years!) of a gorgeous theme, which I always think sounds a lot less old fashioned than some of his later ones. I checked back on FSM as I asked about it some years ago but it's so old I imagine the tapes would be in pretty poor shape but didn't get much of a useful answer. At the least, a re-recording of a suite would be very welcome (by me at least!).

On 12/07/2022 at 7:57 PM, Jay said:

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '96

 

Stock photo

 

Hollywood '96 by Original Soundtrack (CD, Nov-1996, Varèse Sarabande (USA))  for sale online | eBay

 

Just like last year, it's Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra again, and it's a pretty good performance!  Unfortunately though, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the previous years; both were recorded in the same location with Geoff Foster as the recording engineer, but '95 was mastered by Joe Gastwirt while this one was mastered by Bruce Botnick and I dunno what it is, but it's like the orchestra is very distant from the microphones or something.  Unfortunate!

 

 

Mission Impossible by Lalo Schifrin - I remember thinking that this was Alan Silvestri's arrangement before he left the project, but he's not credited here and it sounds like a typical arrangement of the theme to me so I dunno why I had that memory.  It's too bad they didn't record something from Elfman's score!

 

Twister by Mark Mancina - this is cool because this medley opens with the full cue that also opens the score album, but it was truncated there - here we get to hear the full cue! It's a decent medley of the opening cue followed by two cues from the end, though doesn't really cover the breadth of the score like all the cool music for the tornadoes

 

Fargo by Carter Burwell - This is nice!

 

A Time To Kill by Elliot Goldenthal - Man, is all of this guys music always SO BIG? Isn't this a Grisham law thriller? (I've never seen it)

 

Sabrina by John Williams - Now that I finally saw this movie a couple years ago, this is nice to hear for sure - thought the gorgeous re-recording on Cinema Serenade is better

 

Phenomenon by Thomas Newman - This one didn't do anything for me

 

Flipper by Joel McNeely - hey, this is nice, and fun!  I don't think I've ever paid attention to this before!  Is the whole album good?

 

Emma by Rachel Portman - This is quite nice!

 

Tin Cup by William Ross - Woah!  This was great!  How have I been neglecting this guys music all these years?  Must rectify that...

 

Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann - This is of course great music, but boy does it feel out of place here (it's here because the had showings of a restored and remastered print in 1996 apparently?)


The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Alan Menken - Wow!  This was really awesome too!  I have never listened to this score, or any Menken scores....

 

Independence Day by David Arnold - This is really cool because just like Twister, this cue was truncated on the OST album, and this was the only way to hear the full cue (a different cue is used in the movie) until the LLL set eventually came out 14 years later (unless you're a bootleg guy).  What a great, rousing finish to this album!

I always thought M:I was meant to be Silvestri's arrangement but thinking about it, it would be odd for Varese to have chosen that one and then go through whatever hoops would have been required to perform an unused arrangement. For my money, the Elfman version is the best ever arrangement of the M:I theme and it's a bit odd they didn't perform that one.

 

The rest of A Time To Kill isn't quite as big, but agree it's a pretty splashy cue considering the type of film! Fargo is nice but the melody is an old folk tune (or something). I was quite disappointed as it's one of the few Burwell melodies I really liked. I think the McNeely Vertigo recording was put out the same year and they had clearly decided it was a nice touch to include a golden age track as they had for 95. Talking of McNeely, Flipper is fun score and if you like the track here, you'll probably like the rest. The kind of score where 29 minutes (plus songs) is the perfect amount.

 

The two finale tracks are enjoyable, although where the sound quality issues are more apparent. I think for ID4, the only difference is the short suspenseful section at the start, otherwise it's the same as what was on the original album. I listened to the full score the other week and always completely forget that the final action cues are very different to what was on the OST (which is a perfect example of a tautly written action cue which ebbs and flows dramatically, without letting up the energy, David Arnold was really on fire with that one).

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no idea - I assumed anything on that back cover without the * moniker was taken from their OST albums, but clearly that's not the case with this one >shrug<

And yeah... weird, but I'm 99% sure it's not the OST and since it's not a Varese release, I assume it is a John Scott conducted version and Varese were just a bit shonky with their credits!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jurassic Park - John Williams

After all the discussions around the new edition I listened again to the Lala Land version and musically I decided, I don't need a new edition. What disturbed be now more as someone who actually listens to CDs, that the whole score fits on one CD, which is the case for the new edition and here I have to change discs after 44 minutes.

Would be of course great to listen to the whole thing in one go.

Anyway, it is a great score. After having not listened carefully since a long time I enjoyed it probably more than ever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I wanted Squanto ever since Joel McN included it here, but hope it does get a re-release as it's a fine effort that I'm glad to own.

 

Seems like Intrada is pretty good at mining their back-catalog of OOP titles they still own the rights to and getting around to re-issuing them eventually

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I think the recording of the Launch from Apollo 13 is better than the original, just that little more pace gives it more energy (especially in the latter, more urgent part from about 7 minutes). The only thing I miss is the five note trumpet motif that should appear at about 7.20 (which is at 7.44 on the original recording). It's such a lovely moment that I really miss it on the H95 version. I can't for the life of me think why it's not there.

 

Interesting, now I want to go back and listen to that part to see what I think!

 

I would speculate it isn't there because it wasn't in the sheet music they got, which could mean it wasn't part of JH's original plan for the cue, and it was recorded later as an overlay?  Who knows!

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Casper is one of my favourite concert arrangements by Horner, done just in the way the way JW does them (and few other composers do). Is there a thread for "favourite concert arrangements from non-JW scores"? I'd be interested to see other people's thoughts.

 

That is a good idea for a thread...

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I always thought M:I was meant to be Silvestri's arrangement but thinking about it, it would be odd for Varese to have chosen that one and then go through whatever hoops would have been required to perform an unused arrangement. For my money, the Elfman version is the best ever arrangement of the M:I theme and it's a bit odd they didn't perform that one.

 

Yea I'm glad it's not just me who remembers that being the word of mouth about that track back in the day.  I really doubt it's his though since he isn't credited.  And yea Elfman's arrangement for the main titles of the movie is super good!

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Talking of McNeely, Flipper is fun score and if you like the track here, you'll probably like the rest. The kind of score where 29 minutes (plus songs) is the perfect amount.

 

I'm gonna hunt it down

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I think for ID4, the only difference is the short suspenseful section at the start, otherwise it's the same as what was on the original album.

 

No, the OST edit of this cue is cut down in two places

 

On 14/07/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I listened to the full score the other week and always completely forget that the final action cues are very different to what was on the OST (which is a perfect example of a tautly written action cue which ebbs and flows dramatically, without letting up the energy, David Arnold was really on fire with that one).

 

David Arnold's original series of cues for the finale of the film is:

 

12M0 Just In Case LLL 2-01 [0:00-0:42] Just In Case
12M1 Attacker Fires Up LLL 2-01 [0:42-1:42 / 2:10-end] Attacker Fires Up
12M2X   LLL 2-02 [0:00-0:50] The Launch Tunnel
12M3 Mutha Ship LLL 2-02 [0:50-5:15] Mutha Ship
13M1 Virus Upload LLL 2-17 Virus Upload (Alternate Version)
13M2A Hide! LLL 2-03 [0:00-0:41] Hide!
13M2 The Day We Fight Back LLL 2-18 The Day We Fight Back (Original Version)
13M3/14M0 Jolly Roger LLL 2-05 Jolly Roger

 

And then the filmmakers decided it was silly to have Randy Quaid's character fly his biplane, so they went out and shot new footage of him in a jet fighter and re-edited the finale, and the revised series of cues is:

 

12M0 Just In Case LLL 2-01 [0:00-0:42] Just In Case
12M1 w/ 12M2R6S inserted Attacker Fires Up LLL 2-01 Attacker Fires Up [0:42-1:42-end] Attacker Fires Up
12M2X   LLL 2-02 [0:00-0:50] The Launch Tunnel
12M3 Mutha Ship LLL 2-02 [0:50-5:15] Mutha Ship
13M1R6 Virus Upload LLL 2-02 [5:15-end] Virus Upload
13M2A Hide! LLL 2-03 [0:00-0:41] Hide!
13M2R7 Russel's Packin' LLL 2-03 [0:41-end] Russel's Packin' / The Day We Fight Back
13M2 Pt. 2 He Did It! LLL 2-04 He Did It!
13M3/14M0 Jolly Roger LLL 2-05 Jolly Roger

 

The Hollywood '96 track is a complete re-recording of the original 13m2 The Day We Fight Back

 

The OST album contains a shortened (via editing) version of 13m2 The Day We Fight Back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Revo - Brave Default Flying Fairy (OST)

Yasunori Mitusada et al - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (OST)

Lena Raine - Celeste Farewell (OST)

 

Listened to some great video game scores I know by heart this week and it was as glorious as always

 

David Arnold - Changing Lanes (OST)

 

Once again I returned to this and liked it, and wish we had names for each track!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting, now I want to go back and listen to that part to see what I think!

 

I would speculate it isn't there because it wasn't in the sheet music they got, which could mean it wasn't part of JH's original plan for the cue, and it was recorded later as an overlay?  Who knows!

Yeah, I wondered whether it might be something like that, but all of the releases of the actual score to Apollo 13 have that trumpet figure at that moment. Did you find it?!

 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I'm glad it's not just me who remembers that being the word of mouth about that track back in the day.  I really doubt it's his though since he isn't credited.  And yea Elfman's arrangement for the main titles of the movie is super good!

If it's not Silvestri's, I do wonder whose arrangement it is as it's somewhat beefed up compared the versions used on the original TV shows, but then there are probably lots of random arrangements of a theme like that, given how well known it is (not that I've heard one quite like the H96 arrangement that I can think of offhand).

 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The Hollywood '96 track is a complete re-recording of the original 13m2 The Day We Fight Back

 

The OST album contains a shortened (via editing) version of 13m2 The Day We Fight Back

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realised there were two cuts made to the album version of The Day We Fight Back. Having said that I always forget that the film cues are quite different to the album track (and the original, unedited version), I do now recall watching the film and not being able to figure out where that cue actually came in the movie. I think I concluded it was some kind of concert arrangement action cue or something. I don't think I realised that the replacement cues on the LLL album were actually slightly out of sequence though (at least I think that's what your table indicates?). If so, I'm happy to have it in a more musical order... don't want it to go all finale of the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, nothing is out of sequence on the LLL album in that area.

 

13M2 The Day We Fight Back that we knew from the OST album & Hollywood '96 album is not in the film at all, because it got completely replaced by two replacement cues (13M2R7 Russel's Packin'13M2 Pt. 2 He Did It!).

 

In addition to that change to the finale in the final film, there was 2 other changes.  An insert was written to go into the middle of 12M1 Attacker Fires Up titled 12M2R6S.  And 13M1 Virus Upload was replaced by a revised version (13M1R6 Virus Upload)

 

So in other words, Arnold's original version of the end of the film is

  1. 12M0    Just In Case
  2. 12M1    Attacker Fires Up
  3. 12M2X    
  4. 12M3    Mutha Ship
  5. 13M1    Virus Upload
  6. 13M2A    Hide!
  7. 13M2    The Day We Fight Back
  8. 13M3/14M0    Jolly Roger

But after recording one Insert and three revised cues, the final version of the end of the film is

  1. 12M0    Just In Case
  2. 12M1 w/ 12M2R6S inserted    Attacker Fires Up
  3. 12M2X    
  4. 12M3    Mutha Ship
  5. 13M1R6    Virus Upload
  6. 13M2A    Hide!
  7. 13M2R7    Russel's Packin'
  8. 13M2 Pt. 2    He Did It!
  9. 13M3/14M0    Jolly Roger

 

The main program of the LLL album uses the revised/film versions of the relevant cues, when it presents the finale on disc 2, tracks 1-5.

 

The original versions of 13M1 and 13M2 are in the bonus track section, tracks 17 and 18.

 

The original version of 12M1 is not presented on the set as originally recorded; only the version with 12M2R6S already inserted is presented.  But its a completely "clean" insert because the spot it gets inserted had a natural pause in it, so you can re-create the version without the Insert with a simple music editor if you desire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:music: Ghostbusters: Afterlife. As far as modern nostalgic reboots/adaptations/sequels are concerned, this is definitely up there with the best. Feels like an organic extension of Bernstein's original and even if the genre shifts ever so slightly towards a more Silvestri/Broughton/Williams territory of summer blockbuster. Feels very much like a bigger take on this material but done with respect, class and skill. I really enjoy this one.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/07/2022 at 11:43 AM, Jay said:

Varese Compilation - Hollywood '95

 

71Jn4hVXHsL._SL1200_.jpg

 

All re-recordings again, this time it's Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

 

 

It is such a strong album after all these years. The recording and mastering is still aces -- I actually prefer the Batman Forever and First Knight suites over the original recordings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jurassic Park - MCA

 

This is a great score on a not so great album.

I program only thirty seven minutes to eliminate the boring and repetitive parts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

love it, love it, love it <3

5:50...jesus christ, so beautiful! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

James Horner - The New World

 

I love it! :love2:

 

JNH - Vertical Limit

 

JNH's "least good" score of 2000, it's obviously not on the same league as masterpieces like Dinosaur and Unbreakable, but the main theme is memorable enough. The action music was clearly temp-tracked with Goldsmith's action scores of the 90s, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

James Horner - The New World

 

I love it! :love2:

 

JNH - Vertical Limit

 

JNH's "least good" score of 2000, it's obviously not on the same league as masterpieces like Dinosaur and Unbreakable, but the main theme is memorable enough. The action music was clearly temp-tracked with Goldsmith's action scores of the 90s, though. 

 

Massive love for THE NEW WORLD... just mentioned it in response to your post in the "not considered great" thread.

 

As for VERTICAL LIMIT, yes, it might be the lesser of his efforts that year but I still think it's massively underrated. It needs an official expansion... and a remaster if possible (it does sound a bit limp in parts).

 

You mention the Goldsmith influence.... the brief fanfare here (@ 2:14) is one of the most Goldmithian things I've ever heard outside of Goldsmith. It's amazing. Shame there's so few of those moments... still, I'd love to see this score expanded. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LSH said:

As for VERTICAL LIMIT, yes, it might be the lesser of his efforts that year but I still think it's massively underrated. It needs an official expansion... and a remaster if possible (it does sound a bit limp in parts).

I listened to the bootleg album (with the so called complete score) and it has its fair share of meandering suspense cues. Also, the action music gets a little repetitive after a while. So, from a pure "listening experience" point of view, I guess many people would find an extended edition somewhat boring... But I'd surely love a remaster!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Powell - The Italian Job

 

I picked up this OST album during that sale Varese had recently where it was $5.  We just re-watched the film recently so that probably helped form my opinion which is; This is fun, I like it!  Not much else to say after one listen, but I hope it's on Varese and Powell's lists of scores they want to Club-ify!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jay said:

John Powell - The Italian Job

 

I picked up this OST album during that sale Varese had recently where it was $5.  We just re-watched the film recently so that probably helped form my opinion which is; This is fun, I like it!  Not much else to say after one listen, but I hope it's on Varese and Powell's lists of scores they want to Club-ify!

I always file this alongside Powell's scores which are technically accomplished but don't really stick out alongside his better known works (I'd add Jumper to that - which I listened to again last week and still can't remember a thing about), but still a fun effort even if it lacks the quirkiness of the Quincy Jones original (but that's largely reflective of the film I guess).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't heard Jumper, or seen the film but I will eventually because I want to see all of Doug Liman's films.  I'll probably check out that OST after I see it

 

I agree Italian Job wasn't very memorable, don't remember a strong thematic hook theme or anything... but it was fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't heard Jumper, or seen the film but I will eventually because I want to see all of Doug Liman's films.  I'll probably check out that OST after I see it

 

I agree Italian Job wasn't very memorable, don't remember a strong thematic hook theme or anything... but it was fun!

I think Jumper was an OK movie from what I recall but it fell below the radar I think. That one disappointed me more than some as it seems ripe for a memorable sci-fi-ish score but it's one of those scores where you can hear all the Powell-isms but there's not great main theme (or 3) to tie it all together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

(I'd add Jumper to that - which I listened to again last week and still can't remember a thing about)

 

Try Chris Tilton's, which is really cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

 

Try Chris Tilton's, which is really cool.

What do you mean? Did he write a score for another film called Jumper or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He wrote the score to the video game based on the film, and it's good!

 

jumper.jpg

 

https://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1139

https://www.scoringsessions.com/2008/02/14/chris-tilton-scores-the-jumper-griffins-story-video-game

 

 

It's available as a free download on his official website

 

http://christilton.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

He wrote the score to the video game based on the film, and it's good!

 

jumper.jpg

 

https://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1139

https://www.scoringsessions.com/2008/02/14/chris-tilton-scores-the-jumper-griffins-story-video-game

 

 

It's available as a free download on his official website

 

http://christilton.com/

Awesome. I shall check it out. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot (or my brain intentionally made me forgot) my USB C adapter and headphones for my little 4-days escapade in Club Med Charlevoix. We had 4 wonderfull days of almost canicule, perfect for pool/bar back and forth!

 

So where do we restart that?

 

Rachel Portman - Ask the River

John Powell - The Call of the Wild

James Horner - Wolf Totem

John Barry - Eternal Echoes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I’m being ridiculously obvious, but it’s SOO Good.   Like, you always know it’s gonna be a good listen, but then it somehow manages to surprise and delight each time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has shaped up to be my favourite Hans of recent times by a rather wide margin. The latter half sags a bit, but the whole thing just oozes fun and good spirits, and that was missing from his other stuff post Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love it. The sketches album might be even better. I keep meaning to create a combo of my favourite tracks from the two.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was really disappointed with NEW WORLD.

On CD at least.

Horner and Malick seemed a perfect match but the music never soared the way I expected it to.

Granted, the love theme wasn't on the album, but my opinion is still the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.