What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

14 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Before that, dramas were rather durm and strang instead of delicate and sensitive. It reminds me that it’s astounding that Elmer never won a best score Oscar. Definitely robbed. Several times. 

I don't think that's true (think of Copland's scores like 'Red Pony'), but this might be the first with a main title sequence framing a story in such a way. Neither Robert Mulligan nor Bernstein pushed for that scene (it came by accident), but it lifted the movie to another level, because it could have been also a Greg Peck courtroom movie, after all.

18 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It reminds me that it’s astounding that Elmer never won a best score Oscar. Definitely robbed. Several times. 

He did 1967 for "Thoroughly Modern Millie".

Just listened again to "The Age of Innocence". I didn't like the movie so much. It was the time of the followers of movies like"Les Liasons Dangereux" and this one I didn't find particularly interesting. But the score is great. Elmer Bernstein is especially good with themes. I cannot say, that the normal underscore in the movies is so outstanding like Williams'. But his themes, especially his main themes... Brillant. 

5 hours ago, publicist said:

I don't think that's true (think of Copland's scores like 'Red Pony'), 

That's one example. I suppose it depends on how you define drama and "gentle drama score", but some other candidates would be THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, JANE EYRE, PEYTON PLACE (I always found this to be a TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD precursor, sort of), BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S etc.

600x600bf-60.jpg

This is a must-have for every serious film music fan that is even remotely interested in scores outside Hollywood and the US, IMO. A superb 2CD set covering the career of Bøhren & Åserud, who completely ruled the Norwegian film music scene in the 80s and 90s. Ethereal synths, orchestral fantasy, tangos, klezmer, Viennese waltzes and everything inbetween, showcasing their huge scope.

640x640.jpg

After his highly impressive GAGARIN: FIRST IN SPACE (2013), I was waiting for Kallis to wow me again. It took a while, and there have been a few "misses" along the way, but this 2020 score comes pretty close. Softspoken, melancholic and sweeping. My cup of tea.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I cannot say, that the normal underscore in the movies is so outstanding like Williams'. But his themes, especially his main themes... Brillant. 

I find especially both the underscore and the themes - americanized Brahms - much more sophisticated than Williams' own scores of that time (middlebrow stuff like 'Far and Away'). Williams came around a few years later (when he started to feature prominent players from the classical world, especially in 'Tibet', which is the first Williams where i noticed the concertant approach, though this was mostly the concert suite).

Either way, Bernstein was the most-rejected film music composer, so a case could be made that his more idiosyncratic style didn't do him mich good after his prime (he chose many interesting movies like 'The Grifter', 'The Field' etc., also rather uncommon for such a famous guy).

Because it was a lot of crap on the menu.

It was around the time Goldsmith scored 'Deep Rising',  Goldenthal 'Batman and Robin' and Horner 'Deep Impact' and 'Mighty Joe Young' (Williams got 'Stepmom', and to be honest, choosing between that and some of the others options, 'Stepmom' would still take the booby prize).

On 12/11/2022 at 8:00 PM, GerateWohl said:

To this day I don't understand, how a guy like Elmer Bernstein happened to score crap like Wild Wild West.

Find a composer who hasn't scored something bad at some point in their career - I'd pretty much guarantee you won't find one, and you still generally get a good score out of it.

Wild Wild West is one of my favourite scores - he and Peter certainly gave the film their best, even if the film is a bit dodgy (I like it more than some).

---

I'm currently listening a lot to Gladiator and I'm constantly reminded of how well produced the album is if you take it purely on its own terms. The Battle and Elysium are easily in my top cues list. I hope so much that it's either on the BF slate, or being worked on by someone.

Yes, Winter is on the horizon but it still feels mildly Autumnal here in the UK... so here is one of my favourites that evokes the season (and one that has featured heavily in my ever-evolving Afternoon Walk playlist lately):

The Spitfire Grill - Original Soundtrack Recording - Album by James Horner  | Spotify

There are distinct pre-echoes of scores such as The New World and The Spiderwick Chronicles - that lovely 'in nature' palette of Horner's - but the folksy stuff is nice too.

This is one of those smaller projects Horner did where you can hear and feel the genuine heart in it. You really can feel it.

:music: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. It's not Silvestri's finest work, obviously, but I find enough pleasant material in there to purchase the new deluxe edition. Plus my old CD was badly cracked and unplayable anyway. It is a bit puzzling choice for an expansion as the old album covered the ground well already but I still managed to find a couple of things that weren't on there already. I might create an alternate 45-55-minute OST programme to enjoy.

Also listened to Death Becomes Her yesterday. It was goodm

Karol

18 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I adore the "New Music" tag.

I read somewhere that when The Empire Strikes Back came out as a double LP that one of the distributors complained that it only had "two new songs" and the rest was all just... Star Wars.

To be honest, without the tag, I too would have feared that it was going to be another album filled with dun dun dun dun. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

To be honest, without the tag, I too would have feared that it was going to be another album filled with dun dun dun dun. 

Because that is totally the entire album of Jaws. I mean Night Search? The Indianapolis Story? It just never stops! :D

12 hours ago, LSH said:

Yes, Winter is on the horizon but it still feels mildly Autumnal here in the UK... so here is one of my favourites that evokes the season (and one that has featured heavily in my ever-evolving Afternoon Walk playlist lately):

The Spitfire Grill - Original Soundtrack Recording - Album by James Horner  | Spotify

There are distinct pre-echoes of scores such as The New World and The Spiderwick Chronicles - that lovely 'in nature' palette of Horner's - but the folksy stuff is nice too.

This is one of those smaller projects Horner did where you can hear and feel the genuine heart in it. You really can feel it.

It sounds like if the cast of Firefly was in Sneakers. I loved it.

14 hours ago, Andy said:

It’s November. Here in Upstate New York, the red leaves have gone to brown or fallen altogether and the Winter chill is announcing itself. 

So…. Trifecta. 

Only got through Stepmom so far. Lovely.

I'm listening while the trucks are collecting the leaves here in Ohio. The trees are bare (and the sky is gray).

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

I haven't counted, but my gut says Jaws 2 has at least as much of that as the original. In different variations though, and both scores have a lot besides that of course.

L.A. Confidential (recording sessions) (Jerry Goldsmith)

Quite good score, reminds me of parts of Basic Instinct sometimes, but I'm not sure it works in session format.

Would be curious to listen to a complete release.

:music: City Hall. You might think I am absolutely out of my mind but this is one of my very favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores. While I do have a tremendous respect for both Chinatown and L.A. Confidential, it is this entry out of Jerry's "urban trilogy" that I listen to the most. I am hoping Varese will upgrade it soon. :)

Karol

On 16/11/2022 at 5:31 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Free Willy 1, 2 & 3 - Basil Poledouris & Cliff Eidelman

3 wonderful scores. Though I wish there was more material on the albums from Poledouris. Nontheless, great!

The original Free Willy album honestly has ALL the highlights from that score and was a brilliantly constructed half hour of score. Longer than the Eidelman Free Willy 3 album from Varese! It’s Free Willy 2 that got screwed with 3 cues/just over 10 minutes of score released… and it’s the best score of the trilogy by far, in complete form (over an hour).

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think that's one of @Yavar Moradi's favorites too

I’m a big fan of it (it’s my favorite of Jerry’s 90s noir scores and I strongly prefer it to LA Confidential), but it wouldn’t make my Goldsmith top 50 so I’m not sure it quite classifies as a favorite. :) I guess it’s one of 100+ favorite Goldsmith scores of mine… would buy an expansion in a heartbeat, even for only 10 minutes or so of previously unreleased music.

Yavar

5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’m a big fan of it (it’s my favorite of Jerry’s 90s noir scores and I strongly prefer it to LA Confidential), but it wouldn’t make my Goldsmith top 50

To make a Goldsmith top-50....must be quite an insurmountable task!

Well I'm pretty sure "guesstimate" has been around for quite a while before I used it here. It's almost as ubiquitous a portmanteau as "motel" or "smog" and I hardly think any of these are going to cause the death of a language so weird and inconsistent as English anyway. Has Whedon never gone for portmanteau words? That's surprising. Obviously Lewis Carroll was a fan... "chortle" is my favorite invented word of his.

Yavar

I've been hearing guesstimate used in a variety of circles across my entire life.  There's nothing weird or unusual about that word

OS0xMDYzLmpwZWc.jpeg

It might not be anywhere near the best score of the 90s... but it damn well has one of the best main themes.

It's a fucking scorcher. Love it.