What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've actually never seen any of the sequels.  Nothing I've ever read about them has made me curious.

2 and 3 are worth seeing.

2 is like a remake of 1, but set in an airport and with Sibelius instead of Beethoven. 

On 09/12/2022 at 6:45 PM, crocodile said:

:music: Die Hard. Listened to my own 1-hour selection from the 30th Anniversary set. I generally enjoy this in its entirety but this is a nice and trim alternate playlist - 55 minutes of score plus two source cues at the end.

image_2022-12-09_184455874.png

Karol

I removed Tony Approaches and The Fire Hose of this playlist. The first one already reprises a lot of the stuff from Wiring the Roof already and the other one doesn't really add much to the listening experience.

Karol

Kingdom of Heaven

Since this was mentioned as a Harry Gregson Williams masterpiece in another thread, I thought to listen to it.

Well, I liked the first half with the choir stuff better than the 2nd half.

I had watched the movie long long ago and I remember it was terrible!

I see some say that watching the extended version is like a whole new movie and this is the version someone should watch. Maybe I'll give it a 2nd chance with that version.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A vastly underrated gem, in the master's oeuvre.

I didn't like it at first, but I learned to appreciate it more during the last years.

Hope for a complete release sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Kingdom of Heaven

Since this was mentioned as a Harry Gregson Williams masterpiece in another thread, I thought to listen to it.

Well, I liked the first half with the choir stuff better than the 2nd half.

I had watched the movie long long ago and I remember it was terrible!

I see some say that watching the extended version is like a whole new movie and this is the version someone should watch. Maybe I'll give it a 2nd chance with that version.

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is a much better film, in its extended form!

It's my second favourite HGW, after SPY GAME (no, I'm not joking! Bloody cheek :lol:).

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Been playing Badalamenti all day long too. On to ARLINGTON ROAD now. Not the easiest listen, but has a couple of good tracks.

To be honest, The Straight Story is the only Badalamenti I have on CD. What else I've heard by him worked very well in context, but isn't necessarily something I'd often play standalone. I love Twin Peaks in the series, and enjoy bits and pieces on their own, but probably not a full album out of context. But I've always been fond of the laid-backness of Straight Story.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

To be honest, The Straight Story is the only Badalamenti I have on CD. What else I've heard by him worked very well in context, but isn't necessarily something I'd often play standalone. I love Twin Peaks in the series, and enjoy bits and pieces on their own, but probably not a full album out of context. But I've always been fond of the laid-backness of Straight Story.

Sorry to hear it. I mean, not sorry to hear you like THE STRAIGHT STORY. Amazing score, as my above list alludes to. But he has some proper gems on his resume, both known and unknown.

I have a rewatch of Blue Velvet coming up (I just got the Blu, and don't remember anything from the one time I'm sure I've seen it before), so I'll keep an extra ear on the score.

The Polar Express (Alan Silvestri) [sessions]

Great Christmas-y score with some renditions of known Christmas songs.

The sessions don't tire at all.

Now, if the film wasn't so creepy with the lifeless-looking people.. it would be one of my favourite Christmas films.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I mean the same movie, just with upgraded visuals.

I've kind of wondered if we'll ever have for a CG animated film the equivalent of what the video game industry calls "remasters."

Like how a video game publisher decides that for a kid to enjoy, say, 1998's Spyro the Dragon, they'll have a certain expectation of visual fidelity not possible on the original PlayStation.  You don't often see that same idea applied to something like Toy Story, even though the technical difference between it and Toy Story 4 is immediately apparent.  Apparent even in a way that I'm not sure a kid would make a huge distinction between like Bambi and Aladdin.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got no problems with the looks of Toy Story. It still looks better than a lot of current, animated children's television. 

Bambi looks great!

Oh God, no, don't mess with BAMBI! But certainly, the Zemeckis mo-caps are - for the most part - terrible, and would have been better served with live action or better visuals (not that they would have been great either way). I wish he just abandoned them altogether. I thought FLIGHT from a few years back was Zemeckis getting back in form, but he's regressed again since then.

I love the Polar Express. And as time goes by and it becomes less state of the art I think it starts to leave the Uncanny Valley because now it doesn't look as "good".

When it came out I couldn't stand it because I was in my thirties, single, and a Pixar snob. But my boy has loved it since he was little. Still does. It's absolutely a part of my Christmas. And of course I adore the score.

You want scary? Go look at the baby in Tin Toy.

I saw half of it and the vacant stares freaked me out so i just stopped it. The whole plushy american idea of christmas and mountains of presents wrapped in what looked like those fake Macy's gift boxes, it was all a bit much.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Confession time: I have never THE POLAR EXPRESS.

There, I said it.

I haven't seen THE GRINCH, BEOWULF, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, or ELF, either. Oh, the shame of it.

I'm pretty sure you're good.