What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The LSO, too:

Goodness, that's lovely! So is Holdridge's Tuskegee Airmen. And that's a pretty top notch recording of Star Trek: The Motion Picture!

The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

After quite a long time I put it on again and I had to experience, that I seem to have lost the ability to really enjoy this score in the way it deserves it. It is so great, but I simply know every bloody note inside out.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

After quite a long time I put it on again and I had to experience, that I seem to have lost the ability to really enjoy this score in the way it deserves it. It is so great, but I simply know every bloody note inside out.

I understand what you mean. Haven't listened to the OT or prequel soundtracks for many years now. It's all so stuck in my spine from when I listened to them endlessly back in my formative years, plus there's so much else to listen to that I'm not that familiar with, so haven't felt the urge. Skimpy on the sequels too. Listened to TFA maybe three times in full when it came out, never since. Listened to TLJ and TROS one time each, probably, and never again. I find it fascinating how people swirl around these scores -- again and again, and deeper and deeper, so they know all these tiny little micro details of every single cue.

Batman and Robin by Elliot Goldenthal

Not as good as Forever but it's still a great score. I still really hope that one day we'll get a proper LLL Elliot Goldenthal Batman Collection

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Batman and Robin by Elliot Goldenthal

Not as good as Forever but it's still a great score. I still really hope that one day we'll get a proper LLL Elliot Goldenthal Batman Collection

Hear hear!

Karol

1 minute ago, Thor said:

He made a really good 46-minute presentation out of it at the time, that sadly never came to be. But I hope will be on any possible release of it in the future.

It is actually a very nice selection. The only bit missing from this presentation that I miss is the grand heraldic statement of the Batman theme as they start to defrost the city. But I still very much enjoy that presentation, makes a nice concept album of musical miniatures. I hope that should there be an expanded album, they will include it as a bonus. :)

Karol

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Lethal Weapon (Michael Kamen) [complete score]

Well, I think the action cues are better than Die Hard's, but still it's not a score I would enjoy on its own like, say, Kamen's The Three Musketeers or Goldsmith's action scores.

I adore Kamen, but I think the only scores I really enjoy from start to finish are Mr. Holland's Opus and X-Men. (I don't know why X-Men, but what can you do?) I love parts of Robin Hood and The Iron Giant. But just parts. (Iron Giant: Big parts.)

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

but I think the only scores I really enjoy from start to finish are Mr. Holland's Opus and X-Men.

Haven't listened to these. Since you mentioned them, I will, soon.

Have seen the films long long ago, but I don't remember anything of their music.

The music in X-Men got a very luke-warm reception compared to the movie. So maybe my enjoyment is nostalgia mixed with being a contrarian. OTOH much the same was said about Elfman's Spider-Man and that's now considered a classic.

Someone here pointed me to:

Hey, wow. This is really good!

Oh, and yesterday I listened to Jerry Goldsmith:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

That fellow wasn't bad, was he?

57 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Cinema Paradiso (30th Anniversary) by Ennio & Andrea Morricone

What a beautiful score, the love theme is beautiful and dreamy

Yeah, I love the love theme too.

Strange that Ennio Morricone didn't write it himself.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I love the love theme too.

Strange that Ennio Morricone didn't write it himself.

...and impressively, Andrea nailed it! Absolutely lovely. His score to Liberty Heights is absolutely cracking too.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Oh, and yesterday I listened to Jerry Goldsmith:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

That fellow wasn't bad, was he?

Fuckin' A!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How can the same guy listen to the same soundtrack, twice? :lol:

I listen to the same soundtrack twice before breakfast. (Yes, I get the joke. I also hate Die Hard 2.)

Funny story:

I wanted to listen to Home Alone (the 25th anniversary LLL 2CD edition), and when I went to get it, to my astonishment I found out that I had it still sealed!! Hehe..

I saw just now that I had purchased it in May 2020, so I guess I hadn't listened to it for 2 Christmases!

Anyway,

masterpiece! From a time when film music mattered and film producers and directors were musically literate!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

YES! I completely agree!

And I think that entire first disc is a wonderful presentation. Great flow, great music, great sound quality

One question, since you know these things.

Cd1track24 is the Clothesline trapeze WITH the film insert, right?

And if I want to hear the cue without the insert and the insert separately, I use the previous LLL edition. Right?

Cd1track24 is the Clothesline trapeze WITH the film insert, right?

Right!

And if I want to hear the cue without the insert and the insert separately, I use the previous LLL edition. Right?

You can hear the cue without the insert on Disc 2 of the very same set, since the OST album version did not include the film insert!

To hear the Insert completely clean and not already integrated into the cue, you'd have to dig out the previous LLL edition, yes.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Die Hard 2 while travelling to the airport for Christmas break. It's a tradition of sorts. 😉

Karol

Is it better than the first one? Should I check it out?

I like the film better than the first.

All three Die Hard scores have different pros and cons compared to each other.

Any different person will find one of the three to be their personal favorite for different reasons

I like 3 the best

ab67616d0000b2738066b6a389bea27f5f8b54ee.jpeg

Hope everybody had a lovely Christmas day.

I'm currently in the kitchen trying to repurpose yesterday's leftovers into a wholesome meal for tonight. 

Anyway, this score is a great one to cook to. Especially with a glass of fine red in hand.

ab67616d0000b2735e1d8a3baeefb85e9380bc29

My brain needed a little break, so a dose of homophonic Edelman in western/adventure mode often does the trick.

ab67616d0000b273aad4922656b5a94ca0a7390c

Beginning to "beef things up" a bit, now that New Year's celebrations are approaching and alcoholic beverages are being consumed. Starting with this brilliant 2016 electro-score by Rob.

I just made a playlist of "last sides". All the last sides (LP or cassette programs) of all these scores:

A.I. OST (without the song), CE3K (LP program, but using versions from the expansion), The Cowboys (expanded), E.T. (expanded score), HP & the Sorcerer's Stone OST, Jaws (expanded score), Raiders of the Lost Ark (expanded), Schindler's List, Star Wars OST, Superman OST, Witches of Eastwick OST.

Nice travel in time!

Jesus, this sucks - Edelman's crowning glory sounds like Kevin Sorbo music (unadventurous and very conservative):

But this is where it's at! Richard Stone and the Graunke Symphony - Stone should have had Edelman's career: