What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 15/01/2023 at 6:47 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I appreciate your judgement on THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, but I think that it's his greatest achievement, for cinema.

Would you recommend to me to re-listen some tracks besides the main theme? Maybe I missed something?

The Force Awakens (John Williams)

Apart from 2-3 new themes, I didn't find this a necessary addition to already 6 existing Star Wars soundtracks.

On 12/01/2023 at 6:24 PM, Tallguy said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark. Some mishmash of DCC and Concord.

That silly little march is quite good. And while The Map Room: Dawn is still the powerhouse that it always has been, my appreciation for The Miracle of the Ark has only grown. Mostly because I actually like the Ark B theme better. (That's the one with the phone sanitizers and the marketing executives.)

The older I get, the more certain I am that my two favorite tracks from this score are the opening track ("In the Jungle" in the Concorde edition) and "The Well of Souls". The textures and orchestral color are just magnificent

On 15/01/2023 at 3:39 PM, filmmusic said:

The Shawshank Redemption (Thomas Newman)

Thomas Newman is not really my cup of tea, and here apart from the main theme, I stand by the same opinion.

Try Meet Joe Black. That's my favourite of his. Besides that the sampler "The Film Music of Thomas Newman by City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra" is a very good collection of highlights.

ab67616d0000b2732234bc036afd97e16072788f

Moody, but with some interesting textures. One of my favs Desplat, and -- in fact -- my most recent of him (2007) before I lost interest in most of what he does (with the possible exception of THE GHOST WRITER in 2010).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

His two best are GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING and THE PAINTED VEIL, but both are ages ago.

But the main theme of GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING sounds too similar to the Seven Years in Tibet main theme for my taste.

Some albums of my CD collection turning 10 in 2023.

• Marco Beltrami - World War Z
  • Danny Elfman - Oz The Great and Powerfull
  • Dirk Brossé, Brussels Philh - Scoring for Scorcese
  • John Williams - The Book Thief
  • John Williams - Rosewood (the instrumental score, expanded)
  • John Williams - The Missouri Breaks (the original score, expanded)
  • John Williams - Fitzwilly - Special Archival Edition
  • Danny Elfman - Epic
  • Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug
  • Howard Shore - Ed Wood (special edition)
  • Thomas Newman - Saving Mr. Banks
  • James Newton Howard - Wyatt Earp (expanded)
  • James Newton Howard - Dave (expanded)
  • James Horner - Cocoon (expanded)
  • Danny Elfman - Black Beauty (expanded)

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager

One of those scores I can listen to over and over again and love it every time and never get sick of it

20 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Try Meet Joe Black. That's my favourite of his. 

Just listened to it.

I certainly liked it much much better that The Shawshank Redemption.

Still, I think, that Thomas Newman is not really my cup of tea.

But IIRC, I may have enjoyed Little Women even more. I should listen to it again.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager

One of those scores I can listen to over and over again and love it every time and never get sick of it

Huh? Never heard of it and I see there's no official release. How did you listen to it?

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Just listened to it.

I certainly liked it much much better that The Shawshank Redemption.

Still, I think, that Thomas Newman is not really my cup of tea.

But IIRC, I may have enjoyed Little Women even more. I should listen to it again.

Thomas Newman is one of the best living veteran composers. One of the last "old-school" we have, like Shore and Silvestri.

He knows how to write complex old-school orchestral scores, he can do them, but he also know how to use electronics at another level than just experimentation.

Fusion, he's a fusion master!

Here's the Thomas Newman scores I consider to be ESSENTIALS.

Get it together, sir! :lol:

PS: Remove all the songs and source cues from these OST when they have some.

• 1994-The Shawshank Redemption
  • 1998-Meet Joe Black
  • 2000-American Beauty
  • 2002-Road to Perdition
  • 2002-Six Feet Under (Promo)
  • 2003-Angels in America
  • 2003-Finding Nemo
  • 2012-Skyfall
  • 2013-Saving Mr Banks
  • 2015-He Named Me Malala
  • 2015-Spectre
  • 2016-Less Than Zero (premiere release of the score)
  • 2016-Passengers
  • 2016-Finding Dory
  • 2019-1917
  • 2019-Tolkien

Hey, I said ESSENTIALS. We have to start somewhere! :lol:

Listen what I say, young men!

You'll blink an eye, and Thomas Newman will be gone, and you'll be ashamed you didn’t know him before. 

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Huh? Never heard of it and I see there's no official release. How did you listen to it?

I ripped all the music out of the youtube upload and listen to it with all the dialogue and sound effects included because I have no other way of listening to this great score.  Just listen to the gorgeous cue that opens the film (the first 38 seconds are completely clean)

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hey, I said ESSENTIALS. We have to start somewhere! :lol:

Listen what I say, young men!

You'll blink an eye, and Thomas Newman will be gone, and you'll be ashamed you didn’t know him before. 

You wanna start somewhere?

AMERICAN BEAUTY

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

ANGELS IN AMERICA

In that order  :lol:

The key of listening to film music is not to listen to a dark thriller score, when you are in the mood for a big epic adventure score...

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

One of the last "old-school" we have, like Shore and Silvestri.

I wouldn't call him much "old-school".

For one, he hasn't got, I think, strong thematic profiles in his scores, like say Williams, Goldsmith, Horner etc.

Scent of a woman (Thomas Newman)

You can say a lot of things about me, but you can't say I'm not trying. :D I have already listened to 3 Thomas Newman soundtracks.

Of course I know American Beauty but there are a few other scores I want to re-listen.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I wouldn't call him much "old-school".

He's classical trained!!! And he can do backflips too!

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Scent of a woman (Thomas Newman)

You can say a lot of things about me, but you can't say I'm not trying. :D 

That's true, but I think it would be more fruitful to first chart your taste, and then tailor the T. Newman recommendations accordingly. For example, I separate his work roughly into early electronic scores, broad Americana and minimalist quirk (personally, I dig all of them for different reasons). That's not to say you'll like any of these, or that he doesn't have more aspects than that, but it's a way to start. For example, he channels some of his father's Golden Age sensibilities in THE GOOD GERMAN. Perhaps that is closer to your liking? Or maybe not. You'd have to tell us what you like first (that's what SHE said!).

Oscar and Lucinda (Thomas Newman)

Ok, I don't deny that Newman scores, are well crafted. Good orchestrations, textures etc.

But in the end, I can't seem to recall anything.

In this specific one, I don't see any thematic unity too. Is there? (I'm asking anyone who knows the score better)

@Thor

I listened to The Good German too.

It had a recurring theme or two, but the same comment above (about not easy recognizability of themes), applies here.

I think I'll give up and listen to other composers now...

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, I don't deny that Newman scores, are well crafted. Good orchestrations, textures etc.

In this specific one, I don't see any thematic unity too. Is there? (I'm asking anyone who knows the score better)

@Thor

It had a recurring theme or two, but the same comment above (about not easy recognizability of themes), applies here.

Sorry to hear it. OSCAR AND LUCINDA is in my top 3 T. Newman of all time. Perhaps he's not for you.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

@Thor

How many listens? You need more than one per Miklos Rozsa. (The first is to "get the shape of it")

"Anti-Newman"???

I won't have any of that!

Have you heard this sumptuousness... ness... ness, ness?

This colourful cue fills me with so much joy... and reminds me of my travels through India.

Gorgeous score.

12 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

How many listens? You need more than one per Miklos Rozsa. (The first is to "get the shape of it")

I listened to them once now, but I had visited them again in the past. Maybe a couple of years ago.

Gustavo Santaolalla - The Last Of Us (Vol. 2 OST)

I love these games, but never listened to their scores outside of them before.  Tried out this album on a whim just now, and dug it!

Yes. It's not even on YouTube.

I typed in "the dresser soundtrack james horner", and the first thing it suggested was "james horner's self plagiarisms" :lol:

@filmmusic, you're just going to have to watch the film - which is a damn fine piece of work, by the way.

"STOP. THAT. TRAIN!".

First Man - Justin Hurwitz

Quite a different score from Hurwitz, compared to his other Damien Chazelle scores which were more jazz oriented. Here he tends to underplay everything, and it results in a not-so-engaging listening experience, but the score is hugely effective in context. His two main ideas are instantly memorable and I love all the different arrangements and variations he puts them through, everything culminating in the powerhouse cue, "The Landing". But as great as that cue is, I think I like even more "Quarantine". It's quite simple, but there's something extremely beautiful in the restrain of the lovely duet between the harp and the theremin.

I wish Hurwitz would do scores outside of his collaborations with Chazelle, not because they aren't great (I love them all so much!), but because I think it would be really interesting to hear what would he do for a director with a radically different vision.

I grew up with the Sissi films which I adore, and just now I found out that there have been re-recordings of 3 suites by Conrad Pope in 2016! :o

(Funnily enough there were people replying to my thread at FSM about a possible release back in 2016, and I hadn't seen it!)

This music is among my most wanted releases since it's a masterpiece, and I would love complete releases, but I guess this will do too.

Arabian Night (Ennio) - Would it be harsh to say that the cover art is more interesting than the score?! Basically a blind purchase - I figured an exotic/erotic Morricone score would be pretty great - where I maybe should have read about it a bit more. Most of the score is quasi-liturgical organ music and, while I do enjoy a bit of Bach or Charles Marie Widor, this didn't do a whole lot for me.

Apocalypto (James Horner) - One of his more challenging scores, with much percussion and chanting, with much less in the way of lush orchestra. Perhaps one that's more effective in the film than on album, still worth a listen.

As I (re)watched the first movie about this young photographer working for The Bugle (and not the Bulge)... here comes the Amazing Scores!

• Hans Zimmer - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Deluxe Edition)
  • James Horner - The Amazing Spider-Man OST
  • Danny Elfman - Spider Man (2022 expanded score)
  • Danny Elfman - Spider Man 2 OST

20230122_075727.jpg