What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Maybe he's waiting for a proper release like I am.

By proper, do you mean one that is not OOP? Because, was there something wrong with the limited edition of 2 cds?

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

*I* said Dark City, not Dark Crystal. It's a terrific score, and no Trevor Jones collection should be complete without it. I have fewer Jones CDs than Bespin (just Dark CityBrassed OffCliffhanger, and Labyrinth), but DC is the one I consider essential.

I don't remember the score for the Dark City, I just remember that I didn't like that it had a direct musical quote from Rite of Spring as a theme.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Because, was there something wrong with the limited edition of 2 cds?

It used the film stem instead of a proper new scan and mix because Jones refused to allow the tapes, which are in his private collection, to be scanned.

19 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

You have a wrong opinion of me. I enjoy a lot of scores. It's that I just listened to a lot of ones that weren't for me lately.

On the other hand, now that I think of it, maybe you're right.

As I grow up, I've become stricter and stricter in my musical tastes. I don't get enthusiastic easily as I did when I was in my childhood.

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't remember the score for the Dark City, I just remember that I didn't like that it had a direct musical quote from Rite of Spring as a theme.

You get used to that, and at least Jones does very different things with it. The score as a whole just has a very dense atmosphere that nothing else quite compares to. And most of the songs on the album are good, too.

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You get used to that, and at least Jones does very different things with it. The score as a whole just has a very dense atmosphere that nothing else quite compares to. And most of the songs on the album are good, too.

I see there is an unofficial 2cd release? I thought that one was official.

https://www.discogs.com/release/19919662-Trevor-Jones-Dark-City-Complete-Motion-Picture-Score-Deluxe-Edition

I knew there was at least one expansion, but as far as I know it's either a bootleg or at least only a very limited promo release. Discogs seems to list two expanded versions that both don't look very legit.

The only regular official release I'm aware of is this one.

I'd happily buy a proper expansion though. There's certainly much more material in the score than appears on the album. I'm not sure how much of it is significantly different from what we've already have, but I'm curious to hear how it holds up on its own in its original complete form.

I grew up listening to Runaway (damn entertaining movie too) and while synth like this sounds weird now, I never gave it a second thought in the 80s. It was part of the decade’s sound and this score just rocks. 

13 hours ago, Holko said:

It used the film stem instead of a proper new scan and mix because Jones refused to allow the tapes, which are in his private collection, to be scanned.

You don't scan audio tapes. You have then transferred. 

On 28/01/2023 at 1:24 PM, Andy said:

I grew up listening to Runaway (damn entertaining movie too) and while synth like this sounds weird now, I never gave it a second thought in the 80s. It was part of the decade’s sound and this score just rocks. 

I just heard someone this weekend talking about the terrible movies they saw because of Kirstie Alley and they mentioned Runaway. I haven't seen Runaway in almost 40 years, but I recall that I liked it. I seem to recall that Gene Simmons was good in it too. I don't know the score but I know that it is the poster child for Jerry's SYNTH SCORES.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - Bernard Herrmann

NS01NzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

My favorite Herrmann score. After that it's North By Northwest. (Both 1959. Both James Mason. Hmmm.)

This was my first Herrmann score and I had no idea who he was until I saw North By Northwest in my 20's and I said "Hey!" My two favorite standout moments (among many) are Underworld Ocean and Atlantis. That almost too quiet organ is just haunting.

And of course Sunrise might be an influence on some composers and filmmakers someday.

15 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

NS01NzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

My favorite Herrmann score. After that it's North By Northwest. (Both 1959. Both James Mason. Hmmm.)

This was my first Herrmann score and I had no idea who he was until I saw North By Northwest in my 20's and I said "Hey!" My two favorite standout moments (among many) are Underworld Ocean and Atlantis. That almost too quiet organ is just haunting.

And of course Sunrise might be an influence on some composers and filmmakers someday.

Great score, will have to give it a listen as I realise I've not listened to it in an age! The only thing I could never quite get on with are the various songs woven into the score but appreciate they would be impossible to extract from Herrmann's score. The remake score by Andrew Lockington from 2008, while clearly not in the same league of inspiration as Herrmann's, is still a thoroughly enjoyable and tuneful action/adventure score.

zbigniew-preisner-mor-visste-ingenting-C

A couple of years ago, I was surprised to see this nice litte Norwegian short film from 2020 receive a soundtrack release, but it's Preisner, so that gives extra gravitas. 11 minutes of ethereal Preisnerisms.

NC05NTc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Underrated Ross score, one my favs of his. Cautious piano and strings for the most part, but always with his trademark elegance in the orchestration. Has Williams elements, as one would expect.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

zbigniew-preisner-mor-visste-ingenting-C

I was surprised to see this nice litte Norwegian short film from 2020 receive a soundtrack release, but it's Preisner, so that gives extra gravitas. 11 minutes of ethereal Preisnerisms.

Just listened to it too, thanks.

I just now realized that that heavy reverb must be a Preisner trademark. I wonder how his music will sound live, without any of it.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Just listened to it too, thanks.

I just now realized that that heavy reverb must be a Preisner trademark. I wonder how his music will sound live, without any of it.

Yeah, he loves reverb, and I love him for it. Especially those flutes that sound like they come from a different world altogether. I've interviewed him, but never heard him live. That's on my bucket list.

On 31/01/2023 at 3:54 PM, Tallguy said:

NS01NzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I love this score too. I have this album but I really wish Varese would re-release the very rare 36 tracks expanded version they released a while ago.

Journey%20To%20Center%20Earth%20302%2006

A pair of (slightly disappointing) Draculas. First up the score from the TV version by David Arnold and Michael Price which is heavy on atmosphere but didn't really do much for me otherwise. While they are usually worth a listen, DA's string of TV scores with Price always feel a touch underwhelming and this was no different. Second up was the Michael Nyman score performed by the Kronos Quartet for (I think) the 1931 black and white film. It's nice enough Nyman but just chugs away without any real feeling of atmosphere or narrative, I would certainly have not had any idea what it was for if I didn't know. Compared to the classic scores by Kilar and JW, both are somewhat disappointing.

Passengers - Thomas Newman

Listening to this while in the back of the car on the way to a birthday. It is dark and somehow this score got an extra dimension to it because of that. Love little moments like this when during certain moments or things that you do scores can have a different meaning.

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Horse Whisperer Original Score: Gwil Owen, Thomas Newman: Amazon.ca: Music

One of my top 3 Newman scores (alongside Shawshank and The Green Mile) and, actually, one of my favorite film scores ever, period. I love everything about this album, who goes from great orchestral themes representing, well, "The Vast Continent", to more atmospheric pianos and darker synth material. It's a tremendous score. :lovethis:

I listened to this , after reading your comment.

Are there any recurring themes? I didn't notice any on first listen..

They're certainly very fluid though...

On 01/02/2023 at 8:46 PM, Steffromuk said:

I love this score too. I have this album but I really wish Varese would re-release the very rare 36 tracks expanded version they released a while ago.

Journey%20To%20Center%20Earth%20302%2006

As much as I love the full score (it's one of my top 5 Herrmann scores), I still think the Hermann-conducted 15 minute suite from The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann is a near-perfect distillation of the score

32 minutes ago, Romão said:

As much as I love the full score (it's one of my top 5 Herrmann scores), I still think the Hermann-conducted 15 minute suite from The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann is a near-perfect distillation of the score

You're not wrong. Well, it's missing Underworld Ocean (right?). Other than that you're certainly not wrong.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I listened to this , after reading your comment.

Are there any recurring themes? I didn't notice any on first listen..

They're certainly very fluid though...

The Rhythm Of The Horse theme is reprised in End Title and there's the Americana theme that dominates both Double Divide and Montana. Simple Truths and Grace share the same piano idea.  

Other than that we are well and truly in Newman 'Vignette' territory. It still works though.

Waterworld James Newton Howard

ff4a1df1-0ff2-4fbd-8874-aa7b0e347920.0db5f208454d0800eb1565792e4d1c34.jpeg

Uh oh... I found my appreciation diminishing with this listen.  No surprise, I love the somewhat goofy Mariner theme, even though it borders on sounding like parody.  But it's definitely hummable.  And there are some good secondary themes and some decent percussion for action sequences (nothing ever comes remotely close to The Lost World).  But for a propulsive action score this one spends a lot of time (ahem) "treading water".  It meanders.  This is often brought up as a top 5 JNH score, but I had a better impression the previous listen.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

You're not wrong. Well, it's missing Underworld Ocean (right?). Other than that you're certainly not wrong.

That's why I wrote "a near-perfect distillation". But you could hardly capture that score in 15 minutes any better

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

(nothing ever comes remotely close to The Lost World)

I vastly prefer Waterworld to Lost World.

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

I LOVE this score! From the ethereal cues with Tori Amos, the dramatic Estella's theme and the John Williams (the guitarist) played cues to the soprano vocals cues, this is one of the best Patrick Doyle scores for me.

My favourite cue is Kissing in the rain, despite the modern percussion rhythm.

14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I vastly prefer Waterworld to Lost World.

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

I LOVE this score! From the ethereal cues with Tori Amos, the dramatic Estella's theme and the John Williams (the guitarist) played cues to the soprano vocals cues, this is one of the best Patrick Doyle scores for me.

My favourite cue is Kissing in the rain, despite the modern percussion rhythm.

Totally agree with all of this, such a great Doyle score. I think the percussion works really well in context. I wish he still wrote scores this great today... but nice to have such classics to treasure. He was on fire in the 90s.

Some albums of my CD collection turning 20 in 2023.

• Howard Shore - Return of the King OST
  • James Horner - Beyond Borders OST
  • James Horner - The Missing OST
  • James Horner - House of Sand and Fog OST
  • City of Prague Philh - The Essential Nino Rota Film Music Collection
  • Randy Newman - Seabiscuit OST
  • Erich Kunzel - Epics
  • Thomas Newman - Angels in America OST
  • Thomas Newman - Finding Nemo OST
  • Danny Elfman - Big Fish OST
  • Danny Elfman - Hulk OST
  • Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai
  • Jerry Goldsmith - Looney Tunes: Back in Action OST

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

The Ice Storm (Mychael Danna) [promo]

It has an appealing charm to me.

It's brilliant -- one of his best. Third favourite, in fact, after EXOTICA and LIFE OF PI.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a great cue in a great score.  Always been one of my top 3 favorite Horner's

As a nineties kid, I knew the film before I knew the score. It was the point when I retrospectively discovered who-composed-what that my life changed. Apollo 13 was one of the first.

Still has the same effect on me. But that cue in particular makes me tear up massively.

For some reason when I was just getting into film scores, I used to think Alan Silvestri scored it, for some reason

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

For some reason when I was just getting into film scores, I used to think Alan Silvestri scored it, for some reason

AMERICANA

20 hours ago, Andy said:

Waterworld James Newton Howard

ff4a1df1-0ff2-4fbd-8874-aa7b0e347920.0db5f208454d0800eb1565792e4d1c34.jpeg

Uh oh... I found my appreciation diminishing with this listen.  No surprise, I love the somewhat goofy Mariner theme, even though it borders on sounding like parody.  But it's definitely hummable.  And there are some good secondary themes and some decent percussion for action sequences (nothing ever comes remotely close to The Lost World).  But for a propulsive action score this one spends a lot of time (ahem) "treading water".  It meanders.  This is often brought up as a top 5 JNH score, but I had a better impression the previous listen.

Try the OST.