What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'm listening to The Time Traveler's Wife. It seems oddly appropriate, given part of the film takes place on Christmas and New Year's Eve. The orchestra is small, but the chamber-sized ensemble gives the score intimacy and warmth.

Danna is just able to get a lot of mileage out of the main theme, especially in "Meadow" and "How Does it Feel?". It's beautiful, unconventionally romantic, and quite emotional. The piano, coupled with the strings and woodwinds, really give the score its personality and soul. The more ambient parts with Tibetan bowls and synths leave me cold, but the main attraction is that gorgeous theme.

One of the most underrated scores of 2009.

Listened to Die Hard 2 on the airport and then later on the plane. Today, on Christmas Eve. Was I subconsciously asking for trouble? ;)

Terrific album, by the way.

Karol

I actually didn't either, and for a long time just thought it was my ears as I had a pretty heavy cold when I got the album. I bought the CD and heard it, then downloaded it from other sources, and still heard it. It's weird because I can't hear it on the bonus tracks on the first album, but those same tracks on "The Last Episodes"(especially "The Hole Shebang") sound awful on the second album. I'm certain it is the mixing.

I mean, here is the waveform. The red lines are the clipping that Audacity detects:

That's really fucking bad, and I am not the type of person to notice these things, so I'm shocked nobody else has.

Okay but what is it exactly? I've seen people complaining about it on certain scores every now and then, but never understood the insane ramblings of audiophiles.

It sounds like crackling.

KOTCS, I find it quite enjoyable. It's not perfect but it's not a bad score as the last two prequel scores were.

Yes, I've said it before and I will say it now: at least it sounds like it belongs to its series. I can't say that of any of the prequels. Even when you listen to something like Whirl Through the Academy, which is not terribly inspired cue, you think: oh, it's Indiana Jones score.

It's subjective, of course.

Karol

KOTCS, I find it quite enjoyable. It's not perfect but it's not a bad score as the last two prequel scores were.

Its lazy and boring. AOTC is an masterpiece in comparison. Johnny really screwed up.

Ehhh, I really prefer KOTCS as well. I like that you said KOTCS is lazy and AOTC is not, despite that fact that, regardless of whose fault it is, AOTC doesn't even have a climax as a score...

Its lazy and boring. AOTC is an masterpiece in comparison. Johnny really screwed up.

I agree. When judging KOTCS as a film and why it just utterly failed, Williams also takes some of the blame.

I agree. When judging KOTCS as a film and why it just utterly failed, Williams also takes some of the blame.

I think you have it backwards, when judging KOTCS as a score, and why it utterly failed, the Film also takes some of the blame.

I have to agree.

AOTC is a piece of Shit. KOTCS is not.

Listened to War Horse coming home from Little Rock today.

Should have listened to a disaster score because my home town is tore up bad.

I think you have it backwards, when judging KOTCS as a score, and why it utterly failed, the Film also takes some of the blame.

I don't think we can use the badness of the movie as an excuse. I mean, fucking Goldsmith worked on many of the worst movies ever and still composed good scores.

I think many who don't like the KOCS score have only heard the OST CD and not the complete score. Makes a huge difference in this case

KotCS is a great score. I love what JW does with the first three notes of Indys theme. The only problem is a few boring cues. Ants is among his best actions cues

Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End: Recordig Sessions

NOT Zimmer at his best, the first few cues sounded like the score could be something, but has fallen flat after that, still have not finished.

Disagree, KOTCS, while not a classic like Raiders and TOD, is much more entertaining.

AOTC is Williams saying I cannot find any inspiration in this dreck.

At World's End is sublime.

Like I said, I have not totally finished yet (and it seems the alternates are presented along with the revised versions, so perhaps thats throwing the Listening experience off a bit.)

You've never heard it before, at all?

"Up Is Down," or in this case "The Green Flash," is probably the highlight for me. The maelstorm sequence and "I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time" is top notch scoring.

The early Singapore music is much slower and atmospheric but still good.

I actually agree with you on this. I wish Nolan had encouraged him to go a similar route for The Dark Knight Rises... instead of rehashing his own material.

I actually agree with you on this. I wish Nolan had encouraged him to go a similar route for The Dark Knight Rises... instead of rehashing his own material.

That would have been a bizarre change of pace given the first two scores.

indy4 - who also loves AWE

Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End: Recordig Sessions

NOT Zimmer at his best, the first few cues sounded like the score could be something, but has fallen flat after that, still have not finished.

This one got out, too? Anything worthwile not on the OST?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Ugh. It was there, I needed my JW fix and I went for it. There's some good music in here, but this score drags a LOT. I mean, everything between the motorcycle and jungle chases is dreadfully boring. I'm into the last 20 minutes and we have returned to dullness. Honestly, the good stuff doesn't even sound suitable for an Indiana Jones movie. True, Crystal Skull doesn't count. But the action scene music sounds more Home Alone than Indy. The new themes aren't particularly strong or memorable. Even some of the better moments are held back by a pretty lackluster performance. It's just not a very good JW score.

But the action scene music sounds more Home Alone than Indy.

The action music sounds nothing like Home Alone.... (there is not even action in HA, just physical comedy)

But the action scene music sounds more Home Alone than Indy.

The action music sounds nothing like Home Alone.... (there is not even action in HA, just physical comedy)

Hey, if E.T. hears "HA", then he hears "HA". Come, come, Faleel, young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant...