What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Being a score to a book that is now discounted or has Shadows escaped the purge?

It hasn't, as far as I know.

Whatever the case, it's brilliant and exciting music and McNeely's best composition. In those days I wanted him to do TPM if Williams would've been unable to.

my favorite HTTYD-cue.

I remember when I used to listen to film music. good, good times. I should pick it up sometime.

Yes, you should. Cues like this are what it's all about, whether you're a listener or a composer yourself. Very special.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Well since the holiday season is drawing near I thought I would take a listen to this gem from Danna. Apart from being an intelligent and interesting approach utilizing several well known Christmas related melodies, hymns and carols, the score with its themes and how it all is interwoven is in itself an uplifting experience. Danna treats the religious spiritual aspects with gorgeous choral and soloist music of the best tradition where centuries of secular and sacred music are joined with more modern touches and as usual the composer's expertise and knowledge of the ancient and ethnic instruments shines through as they are blended effectively as another layer of musical subtext and historical meaning. A personal Christmas time favourite.

Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

Film Classics, Vol. 1 / Roy Budd, London Symphony Orchestra

That is a great Yo-Yo Ma album with excellent arrangements by the composer himself and Yo-Yo Ma's artistry brings a very tangible emotional element to the music that grabs you the second you hear his cello. Really a top notch compilation.

Makes me wish John Williams would arrange an album full of his film music for Yo-Yo Ma. I am certain it would be fantastic.

That is a great Yo-Yo Ma album with excellent arrangements by the composer himself and Yo-Yo Ma's artistry brings a very tangible emotional element to the music that grabs you the second you hear his cello. Really a top notch compilation.

Makes me wish John Williams would arrange an album full of his film music for Yo-Yo Ma. I am certain it would be fantastic.

Yo-Yo Ma already did "his" album with John Williams, and they choose to go with "concert works" instead of film music... But yes, it would be a good idea to make a "volume 2" ;-)

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Well since the holiday season is drawing near I thought I would take a listen to this gem from Danna. Apart from being an intelligent and interesting approach utilizing several well known Christmas related melodies, hymns and carols, the score with its themes and how it all is interwoven is in itself an uplifting experience. Danna treats the religious spiritual aspects with gorgeous choral and soloist music of the best tradition where centuries of secular and sacred music are joined with more modern touches and as usual the composer's expertise and knowledge of the ancient and ethnic instruments shines through as they are blended effectively as another layer of musical subtext and historical meaning. A personal Christmas time favourite.

One my personal favorites. I just love how he makes relatively recent pieces sound really ancient, and how he makes medieval pieces sound like they are really middle eastern. And In Rosa Vernat Ilium is a powerhouse

I haven't!

Been listening to the sessions of Patrick Doyle's Thor for the past week, and while the action material is pretty dull, the rest is pretty good.

These are my favorite tracks:

Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

Certainly one of his most complex and richly orchestrated scores. The synthesizers are utilized really well with the orchestra, especially in "The Goblins." He conjures up a rich and melodic fantasy setting just in the music (doesn't really hit those euphoric highs Horner's Krull does), and while it's not a score I would seek out on CD -- it really is something. Why Ridley Scott elected to strip it out of the U.S. cut and replace it with Tangerine Dream is beyond me.

The big six-hour compilation of everything recorded for The Thin Red Line. It's fantastic how much material he produced knowing that only a small portion would ever be widely heard. But how many people had a job to do thanks to it? How many orchestral musicians had work they might otherwise not have had? Yes, film is the true home of the modern composer and one of the last refuges for the serious making of music. Studios are the new patrons. Say what you will about a lack of creative openness in mainstream entertainment, at least this stuff happens and people can make a living because of it. It could be a lot worse.

I'd like to get my hands on the full archive of Interstellar material next.

ROTK selections

What no time for a 4 hour marathon of the CR and alternates? ;)

Only time for Lighting of the Beacons and The Land of Shadow!

You have chosen prudently. Gotta to love that orc music.

Return of the Jedi OST

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom OST

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York OST

Ever since the Deluxe Edition of Home Alone 2 was released, people have dismissed the original album because it apparently wasn't mastered properly. I must be deaf, because it sounds fine to me and it always has. The Varese version is brighter and louder, lacking dynamic range. I find the OST more pleasing, even if it's supposedly running at the wrong speed. I don't hear an issue.

What the fuck is wrong with Varese with its post-2000 mastering practice in putting orchestral music through the brickwall machine? Do they think we're going to listen to it in a noisy car with the roof down? GI Joe was the worst offender.

I saw that the new Nightmare on Elm Street boxset was getting great feedback on its sound at FSM but it was really just louder and brighter. Probably to cater to the horror fan market that doesn't necessarily care about dynamic range? The OSTs sound better anyway, and those were done by Varese in the 80s.

But Christopher Young's newly recorded Suite Dreams track sounds phenomenal.

I've been on a Star Wars run for the past few weeks. I just moved off of Empire, which I couldn't stop listening to, and now I finally switched over to Jedi. Special Editions. It's been some years since I actually listened to the scores.