What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I was listening to the soundtrack for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids the other day.

Makes me miss James Horner all over again, especially the Main Titles (even if it is a ripoff of Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse"). :(

Danny Elfman - Alice Through The Looking Glass (Chronological Playlist)

Good stuff

John Williams - The Force Awakens (OST)

Wow, great stuff.  I think with every month, I love this score more than before.  The track "Farewell and The Trip" is like a Top 10 Williams track of all time!

Basil Polesouris - Starship Troopers (OST)

Wanted to listen to this before finally getting to hear the new Varese DE.  Man, just when its really getting started, the whole thing is over!  Can't wait to hear the complete score!

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - The Force Awakens (OST)

Wow, great stuff.  I think with every month, I love this score more than before.  The track "Farewell and The Trip" is like a Top 10 Williams track of all time!

The final part of the OST outstanding. Everything from Torn Apart till the End Credits is pure gold!

Yes The Way of The Force and The Jedi Steps and Finale are also highlight tracks from Williams canon!

I saw somebody point out something that I had never noticed before, which is that all the Force Theme statements are abbreviated throughout the entire score until the very end when he finally completes it. I haven't double checked that but I'm pretty sure it's true. I think that's awesome.

And yeah, Jay, "Farewell and the Trip" keeps rising with me too.

It's hard to pick a favorite variation of Rey's Theme from the score because they're all so great, but the one in "Farewell" is really especially epic and awesome.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (OST)
The Empire Strikes Back (OST)

Jurassic Park (20th Anniversary OST)

The Towering Inferno (OST)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OST)

Jaws (OST)

Return of the Jedi (OST)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (OST)

Amazing Stories: The Mission (complete score)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (OST)

Road to Perdition by Thomas Newman

The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman

War Horse by John Williams: As gorgeous as ever. Very sentimental but in the best possible way.

:music:Jaws 2 (Intrada release) by John Williams

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Deluxe Edition)

This score is awesome, and the set sounds fantastic, awesome sound quality.  Yes Varese could have included more bonus tracks, but the main program is phenomenal and I have no problem recommending the release!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Independence Day: Resurgence by Thomas Wander and Harald Kloser

I got about 6 tracks in before I started skipping around.  Outside a couple of tracks it's not really worth more than one courtesy listen.  Shame.

Did someone actually have hopes for the sequel score when we knew it was a Wanker/Kloser score?

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Did someone actually have hopes for the sequel score when we knew it was a Wanker/Kloser score?

I wanted to cling on to some feeble belief that these guys would at least make their strongest attempt to create something that not only honours Arnold's score, but can stand well on its own. On a monumental project of this scale and the stakes being this high, any logical thinker would see that as completely plausible.

But evidently they didn't even try. The majority of the OST consists of banal noodling, with flat orchestration revealing no real attempt at any musical expression or any crack at creating a sense of drama. It's just... there. Hell, it's not even their best score. I listened to 2012 recently and even that's better than anything they offer in Independence Day Resurgence. The very few David Arnold moments are barely worth mentioning. They're so anonymous and flat, it really takes a wanker to make Arnold's music sound so horrible. I wondered if it was a direction from Roland Emmerich himself to minimise any reference to Arnold's themes for whatever reason? Does he even like Arnold's score to the first film? I've never heard him comment about it. It always seems to be Dean Devlin who mentions Arnold, and he does so with infectious enthusiasm.

These guys were tasked with following up from one of the most magnificent film scoring achievements of the digital age, and all they had in them was... this? This was good enough for Roland Emmerich to accept, considering what's been submitted to him in his earlier films?

That brings me to question what the hell is going on behind the scenes. Does Emmerich just have his preferred people to work with because he likes their workflow style... or is there something more sinister going on? Is Harald Kloser just a yes-man or is he a talentless Hollywood con-man who has some dirt on Emmerich that he uses as leverage to secure these projects not only as composer, but as the fucking producer? No, he wasn't under any pressure at all - Emmerich films are an easy gig for him with a guaranteed paycheck. No need to create anything decent at all.

Wouldn't you be embarrassed having your name attached to this when the widely available and infinitely superior score to the first film by a significantly more talented composer hangs over this one like the shadow of a city destroyer? Obviously not for Kloser and Wanker, a pair of opportunistic charlatans who simply wanted the experience and exposure of working on an ID4 score, rather than doing a real service to the film by sitting this one out and at least calling the bloke who contributed to making the first film as special as it is.

Independence Day Resurgence is about as unmotivated and lazy as modern film music gets. I felt like listening to Hans Zimmer afterward just to get the bad vibrations out of my ears.

So is this the very best they could come up with? If the score is this bad, what the hell is the film like? All the talk about Fox blocking it from critics by not showing any pre-screenings is a big alarm that they've got a real turkey on their hands. Hollywood studios release a lot of trash every year, but they generally have enough confidence in their products that they feel comfortable enough to let the press scrutinise them.

I've read comments that the novelisation is a real hit storywise - a dense and massive epic, they're calling it. Maybe that's the only thing that can be salvaged from this potential disaster in the making.

15 hours ago, publicist said:

The Burbs - Jerry Goldsmith

I forgot how good this score is.  Jerry Goldsmith was one of the few film composers who could write comedy music that was genuinely funny.

I particularly love the carefree tune that opens the end credits.

Rabbit and Rogue by Danny Elfman: After first listen this certainly sounds nice. Need to investigate further.

Family Plot by John Williams: Excellent stuff, both the suspense and the comedy. There is such wonderful lighthearted bouyancy to most of this score.

The Fury by John Williams: Again excellent music. Dark, violent but also ravishingly beautiful with surprising moments of lyrical tenderness. In this case I also love the OST album, which performed by the LSO is pretty much unbeatable.

While all three collaborations have some elements of darkness, Nixon is certainly to my mind too the most brooding of the three in overall feel but not entirely without glimmers of light. Growing Up in Whittier and The Farewell Scene are examples of this.

On 19/06/2016 at 7:54 PM, Stefancos said:

mournful Americana that no one does quite like Williams. 

And does it get a bit much to digest if you're anything other than American? 

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland (OST)

13 months since the film opened and still no session leak :( I'm not used to this with Giacchino scores!  I still love the shit out of this score, I think its one of Giacchino's best and one of my favorite scores of the 2010s.  Maybe I'll finally get around to ripping the score out of the bluray if it ain't gonna leak.  So many great themes in this score, and great underscore in between the big thematic statements too.  I love it!

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out (OST)

I like this score a lot, especially the main themes and the fun underscore.  The album does drag a bit towards the end, I might consider making a shorter playlist.  I doubt a session leak would change much about this score, as the OST is pretty comprehensive.