What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It's very by-the-numbers Desplat, but still crafted elegantly enough. It had some notable moments. Wish we heard more like "At First Sight" in the score.

1 hour ago, KK said:

It's very by-the-numbers Desplat, but still crafted elegantly enough. It had some notable moments. Wish we heard more like "At First Sight" in the score.

I found it to be quite strong album really, very elegant and very subtly crafted. It took quite a few listen to get into this one fully. But considering he has 10 (with Rogue One it was 11) projects slated for this year alone, it is rather amazing he can keep the quality this high none the less.

4 hours ago, KK said:

Agreed, but with the number of better scores he's written in the same vein, I have no desire to seek this one out. 

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Heavy.

There's that word again. "Heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

And then some personal favourites to listen to in the background while reading some Raymond Chandler:

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith: Yes this one is back in rotation. And as good as always. Jerry knows the tropes of the genre to a T from the expansive or rhythmic readings of the weary but noble main theme as the detective travel from one location to another or the violent bursts of action with sharp rhythms and driving percussion when they hunt for criminals or crooked cops or the silken jazzy strings and trumpet for the love scenes torn between tragedy and passion.

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith: Another listen to the new Intrada set. While it might be a bit of a bottlecap as one of us here puts it, hearing the complete score in its inteded sequence with all the little unreleased (but interesting) cues sprinkled in makes for a pretty great listening experience for a Goldsmith fan.

:music: Hellboy (The Deluxe Edition) by Marco Beltrami. Finally, those weird sound artifacts are gone, the OST sound used to annoy the hell (ha!) out of me. Other than that, it's a very different listening experience - after all this album is 122 minutes long as compared to the 45 minute one we had before. It actually works very well, themes are better fleshed out and finally we have the official version of end credits suite. Beltrami's finest, no doubt!

Karol

There Will Be Blood by Jonny Greenwood

Norwegian Wood by Jonny Greenwood

The Master by Jonny Greenwood

Inherent Vice by Jonny Greenwood

God, what a talented guy! Hollywood needs less Giacchinos and more Greenwoods please...

All the King's Men by James Horner

The Good German by Thomas Newman

Road to Perdition by Thomas Newman

The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman

2 hours ago, KK said:

God, what a talented guy! Hollywood needs less Giacchinos and more Greenwoods please...

Check out Bodysong too.

Karol

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Hellboy (The Deluxe Edition) by Marco Beltrami. Finally, those weird sound artifacts are gone, the OST sound used to annoy the hell (ha!) out of me. Other than that, it's a very different listening experience - after all this album is 122 minutes long as compared to the 45 minute one we had before. It actually works very well, themes are better fleshed out and finally we have the official version of end credits suite. Beltrami's finest, no doubt!

Karol

I just go my shipping notice from SAE so I'll have to wait for a while yet but looking forward to hearing this set. Indeed one of Beltrami's finest.

3 hours ago, KK said:

I need to sit down one of these days and take a listen to this guy's ouput more closely. I have heard his music mostly in the films and thought it ranged from highly effective to slightly pretentious.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (king mark's expanded edit)

The last 45 minutes or so of this one are absolutely incredible. I would say they elevate this one above the other prequels and The Force Awakens for me. They have nothing on that stuff.

Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

Against all odds, I really think this one's gonna stick with me over the years (something I would NOT have said last October).  Every time I revisit it I feel a greater emotional connection with this score.  This one's right up there with Shawshank for me now.

First Contact and Insurrection expanded scores, Goldsmith (Prepare the Ship from Insurrection is a favourite as always)

Amistad and Schindler's List, Williams.

Only watched Schindler's List for the first time last week and so went back to the CD that I got months back.

Star Trek Insurrection by Jerry Goldsmith

U.S. Marshals by Jerry Goldsmith

QB VII by Jerry Goldsmith: The Tadlow re-recording is excellent.