What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Fal said:

While I agree on the main Imperial theme being silly, I still maintain that the Krennic specific portion is the best theme in that score.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I like Krennic's theme.

Karol

I can agree with this.  And I've actually come to enjoy the Imperial theme to a certain extent because it's kinda silly fun, even if it feels wrong for the movie.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:01 PM, John said:

lol wut

No, it is not. It is an inferior pastiche of the Imperial March; it sounds like a parody theme, like something from a How it Should Have Ended video. It is a seriously weak and awkward composition that sounds nothing like a proper villain theme in a serious movie, much less a Star Wars movie.

Another pastiche, this time of Williams' Across the Stars. Probably the best theme from the movie, though that's not saying much.

Not mine.

Amazing post 10/10 made me laugh

I think you missed the relation to her father, and how that side of Jyn is her motive, making it an appropriately gentle and caring theme.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I think you missed the relation to her father, and how that side of Jyn is her motive, making it an appropriately gentle and caring theme. So lol wut to you, kid.

The Imperial Suite is an alt. type of Imperial March. Still different. So not sure what you're trying to say.

Across the Stars???!!!! Mate? Mate? You okay?

Heart of stone. No emotional sense on that?

So my post was as affective as that "laughable" Jyn's theme? Saaaaaaaaaad John. Saaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I am 99% sure you are under the age of 14.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Across the Stars???!!!! Mate? Mate? You okay?

It does sound like Revisiting Padme.

vs.

Just now, Holko said:

It's great, cheesy fun, my favourite cue in the score.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's great, cheesy fun, my favourite cue in the score.

This is definitely why my feelings on this score have softened considerably since its release.  It will never be a favorite, but I enjoy that cheesy silly quality of it if I'm in the right mood.

I'm kind of hoping to get that somewhat from Powell's Solo score, but more skillfully executed and presumably more appropriate for the tone of its movie.

Yeah, for the gritty, "real" war movie Rogue One kind of tries to be, that cue is still a bit unfitting but very fun. Solo hopefully won't try to take itself seriously at all with the material, so Powell can have lots of opportunities to have fun.

I am predicting Solo to be in my #1 for 2018, at least in mainstream Hollywood scores.

Excited for Giacchino's Jurassic World 2, but that goes along with my being excited for the movie.

Powell's Solo is the opposite, in that I couldn't have cared less about the movie if Powell wasn't doing it.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

No love for Incredibles 2 or Jurassic World 2?

I am excited for Incredible 2, but more because of John Barry than because of Gia if that makes sense.

Jurassic World: Hidden Kingdom should have stayed hidden.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Giacchino can add nice music on top, but Powell can practically trick your subconcious mind into believing you're watching a good movie.

Agree with the second part

14 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

You are annoying when you are annoyed. 

So clever!

10/10

Alan Silvestri - The Avengers: Infinity War (Digital Deluxe Edition)

Too long.

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I LOVE THIS SCORE

Ludwig Goransson - Black Panther (Vinyl Edition)

I always like the sound of this score, but then just grow tired of it, whether its the 2 hour OST or this 40 minute version.  Maybe seeing the film will help.

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nubuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Epic

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

So very good

Yasunori Mitsuda - Xenogears

My second attempt to get into this score.  Other than a few nice passages, I struggle to connect to it.

Please define for me what makes a theme sound "parody-like". Objectively, please. Not "oh, it sounds like a parody".

I like the cheesy melodrama in Giacchino's 'blockbuster' music. I mainly love it in Jurassic World, as it reminds me of music for 50's B-monster movies. I understand others would see that as an insult, but that kind of thing is very much up my alley. 

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Please define for me what makes a theme sound "parody-like". Objectively, please. Not "oh, it sounds like a parody".

It's music. you either evaluate it by how it sounds or you don't.

Gia reminds me of the classic Warner Brothers composers in his musical rhetoric--cats like Carl Stalling and Scott Bradley. That whimsy plays well in animation, where form is atomized to the smallest of gestures, but it doesn't translate quite as well to live-action.

1 minute ago, Fal said:

It's music dude. you either evaluate it by how it sounds or you don't.

Not quite, "dude" (what is this, an American junior high circa the 1980's?)

There's plenty of objective ways to evaluate music rather than by "how it sounds". 

So again I ask, what makes this theme a parody?

12 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Gia reminds me of the classic Warner Brothers composers in his musical rhetoric--cats like Carl Stalling and Scott Bradley. That whimsy plays wonderfully in animation where form is atomized to the smallest of gestures, but it doesn't translate quite as well to live-action.

I don't know...even then, there are WAY better 'modern' composers for animation than him. Not to mention Scott Bradley carries the Tom & Jerry cartoons, while Giacchino's music is usually just...there, as pleasant background noise.

I love Up's score and all, but Powell and Broughton's cartoon music blows that out of the water. 

On the plus side though, his animation scores oddly tend to sound better recorded than his live-action scores (maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I recall Zootopia and Inside Out sounding less dry than Jurassic World). 

11 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

There's plenty of objective ways to evaluate music rather than by "how it sounds".

Like?

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

Again I ask, what makes this theme a parody?

Parody highlights the flaws of an original work by emphasising and often enlargening them, thus providing critisism or commentary on, or simply making fun of that work. 

Giacchino's peppy, jumpy, sometimes almost happy and light march can be thought of as an exaggeration of Williams' brassy marches and doesn't always quite fit into the more grim mood of the movie, therefore it could be compared to parodising his style. The Lord Helmet comparison earlier here was apt.

I enjoyed Rogue One as a standalone listen, but I get the impression Giacchino wasn't especially paying attention to the film itself and was just offering his general idea of how he'd score Star Wars. Not that I blame him. I probably wouldn't be paying much attention to Gareth Edwards either if he somehow was able to make Godzilla boring.

19 minutes ago, Fal said:

Like?

Really?

Just for starters:

http://www.harmony.org.uk/book/musical_analysis_introduction.htm

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Parody highlights the flaws of an original work by emphasising and often enlargening them, thus providing critisism or commentary on, or simply making fun of that work. 

Giacchino's peppy, jumpy, sometimes almost happy and light march can be thought of as an exaggeration of Williams' brassy marches and doesn't always quite fit into the more grim mood of the movie, therefore it could be compared to parodising his style. The Lord Helmet comparison earlier here was apt.

Thanks for elaborating on why some here feel this march is inappropriate for the material. 

However, I honestly don't hear the peppy, jumpy lightness, at least not to the extent described. It's no Imperial March, but then what is?

However, for jumpy, bouncy, frivolously inappropriate music by this composer, refer The Lost World video game score. 

1 hour ago, Holko said:

More than that I just don't really feel like it differentiates itself enough from "Imperial March" not to invite the comparisons. Starting with the title "Imperial Suite," then begins with a militaristic string/snare drum figure that repeats twice, then a sinister low brass theme with dotted rhythms, and then a bridge that shifts tone with these rising/falling sixteenth-note figures....

I mean, it's "The Imperial March." One or two of those ideas incorporated into something that was structurally or sonically quite different would have made a solid and original homage, but all of that stuff combined in sequence just makes it feel like a knock-off. 

I would compare it unfavorably to the "Guardians of the Whills" piece, because that feels more like Giacchino's take on the Force without just "doing" the Force Theme. I mean, Williams's theme is in there but that feels like more of a deliberate reference than plagiarism. And yeah, the melody is similar to "Across the Stars" but I can cut him some slack because it's not a love theme and it doesn't really have much else to do with that piece, so it comes off more like he's just generally trying to be Star Wars-y. But I like it because the magical choral sound isn't exactly like anything Williams has done for SW, certainly not for the Force, and it's a valid musical interpretation.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You joker! :D

I don't actually remember that score, just being cheeky.

...coughcoughAgentCodyBanksiswaybetterscorethanIncrediblesasfarasJamesBondparodymusicgoescoughcough

Ahem. Excuse me. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

the magical choral sound isn't exactly like anything Williams has done for SW, certainly not for the Force, and it's a valid musical interpretation.

;)

On 29 April 2018 at 11:12 PM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I prefer John Barry's.

I actually enjoy all the Kongs (Steiner, Barry, Scott, Newton Howard - not sure about Jackman's though, haven't read good things about it).