What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sorry to repeat myself, but I really love this Album!

John Williams - Dracula (vinyl)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « dracula vinyl john williams »

You get no argument from me, dude, I've loved it since 1979.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well trust me, he was very charming and funny in it

hc-new-haven-middle-east-fidel-castro-me

Is that Ron (almost Doctor #3) Moody?

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Is that Ron (almost Doctor #3) Moody?

It is!  He plays a former member of the Russian aristocracy made destitute by the revolution.  In the film he and Langella are trying to track down a dining room set of chairs from his former palace because the family jewels (literal, not metaphorical) were sewn into the lining of the chairs.

Langella!  Moody!  DeLuise!  Brooks!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It is!  He plays a former member of the Russian aristocracy made destitute by the revolution.  In the film he and Langella are trying to track down a dining room set of chairs from his former palace because the family jewels (literal, not metaphorical) were sewn into the lining of the chairs.

Langella!  Moody!  DeLuise!  Brooks!

Wow. What's not to like...then or now.

Funny is funny. It doesn't matter when.

8 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else know any tinnitus-friendly scores? I haven't listened to any music at all in almost three months.

I assume what you need is something really mellow and soothing...hmm...

Enya? JNH's Snow Falling on Cedars? 

I had the Chariots of Fire theme stuck in my head so I listened to the two times that Williams has recorded it.

Holy mackerel, the Aisle Seat arrangement is so superior to the Summon the Heroes arrangement.  Like not even close.  The Summon the Heroes version kinda sucks.  The Aisle Seat one really soars, I might prefer it to the original Vangelis.

Summon The Heros version is a tad too bombastic.  Good if you forgot your coffee in the morning, maybe.

Much more nuance in the Aisle Seat interpretation.  Superior, to be sure.  

(Mind if I give you a follow on Spotify?)

I guess.  I don't really do anything there.  I mostly stream using Google Play because it also gives me Youtube Premium.  I use Spotify if Google doesn't have an album for some reason, and to get links to post stuff here since they auto-embed and way more people use Spotify.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I guess.  I don't really do anything there.  I mostly stream using Google Play because it also gives me Youtube Premium.  I use Spotify if Google doesn't have an album for some reason, and to get links to post stuff here since they auto-embed and way more people use Spotify.

That's because Spotify's the best, no contest. But you're right about the Isle Seat recording - I've always found it superior. The version on Summon the Heroes sounds like a bad orchestral substitute for the original recording - although I do like the intro. I think the strength in the Isle Seat version is that it's to a greater degree adapted to the strength of a symphony orchestra - it doesn't just sound like a orchestra pop arrangement.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I prefer Google Play because it's very no frills.  Look up a song or album and there you go.  No social crap, no recommended playlists (at least not shoved in my face).

When I was listening to Desplat's Operation Finale on Spotify, Steve Winwood's "Valerie" started playing out of the blue, in the middle of the album.  Jarring.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I prefer Google Play because it's very no frills.  Look up a song or album and there you go.  No social crap, no recommended playlists (at least not shoved in my face).

I find the minimalistic GUI of Spotify very satisfactory and not least fast. You can turn off all the social crap and you don't have to subscribe to any recommendations. And you should not connect your Spotify account to your Facebook account!

8 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

When I was listening to Desplat's Operation Finale on Spotify, Steve Winwood's "Valerie" started playing out of the blue, in the middle of the album.  Jarring.

That's strange. Are you using the free version?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I had the Chariots of Fire theme stuck in my head so I listened to the two times that Williams has recorded it.

Holy mackerel, the Aisle Seat arrangement is so superior to the Summon the Heroes arrangement.  Like not even close.  The Summon the Heroes version kinda sucks.  The Aisle Seat one really soars, I might prefer it to the original Vangelis.

I didn't even know he recorded it more than once. I've always been fond of the StH version.

That's true.  Hellraiser is quite the touchstone for people into that sort of thing, which I'm not really I have to admit.

Shore and Cronenberg were always very much their own thing, though.

For some insane reason, Maurice Jarre was hired for this John Hughes/Chris Columbus/John Candy comedy in the wake of 'Home Alone': surprisingly enough, it works. Jarre, at his charming best, wrote a slightly gallic romance, together with a sweet faux-irish folk tune for Maureen O'Hara's domineering mother (which makes you wonder about the clumsy tries at a similar idiom in the quintessential irish story of 'Ryan's Daughter'). I had my problems with Jarre's 'big' scores over the years, but his fringe score rarely disappointed me.

I listened to just the actual House of Cards symphony presented on disc 1.  Pretty enjoyable.  I liked some of the interesting instrumentation choices.  I'm not familiar at all with the TV show or its score, though.

image.png

The Main Title is one of the best Main Titles of the 2010s for sure

I couldn't tell you one thing about any other aspect of the score, and I've seen every episode.  It's just kind of there, never draws attention to itself at all

I remember it getting pretty interesting in the later seasons. Pseudo-jazz with some operatic flair.

Oh yea, I vaguely remember the score amping up a bit in later seasons.  

Thank god the upcoming Season 6 on November 2nd is it's last.

1 minute ago, KK said:

I remember it getting pretty interesting in the later seasons. Pseudo-jazz with some operatic flair.

Yes there's some crazy wailing female vocals in a couple of places in this concert presentation

From what I've heard, Beal sounds like a pretty intelligent guy too. Will check out that album sometime.

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

The concept album is - especially with the second disc - a musically very recommendable presentation. One of 2018's best yet.

Yes and those pieces have nothing to do with House of Cards beyond the first track.  I'm going to listen to disc 2 tomorrow, though.  I was mostly interested in hearing a film/TV composer arrange his work into a longform concert presentation.

Also here are the program notes on the "symphony"

House of Cards Symphony

The Netflix production House of Cards revolutionized how a dramatic serial programme is delivered to and viewed by an audience. It has changed television. But it was also revolutionary in allowing the members of the creative staff the freedom to produce a dramatic programme the way they wanted. When Jeff Beal accepted his first of two Emmy Awards in the autumn of 2015 for his score to House of Cards, he gratefully acknowledged this unique and inspiring experience. Having an expansive palette filled with spectacular writing, acting and production is a dream gig for a composer.

House of Cards creator Beau Willimon explained the importance of Beal’s music in an interview with Variety: ‘We often whiplash from one emotional state to one that’s completely different in a single frame. Music helps us make those transitions, establish the pace, [and] uncover the emotional truths of our characters in ways that can amplify or add more facets.’ Willimon also pointed out how Beal considers the big picture: ‘He’s not just tackling each scene as it comes, he’s looking at each episode as a totality. Then he’s doing that on a larger scale, thinking about a trajectory for music for the entire season.’ Willimon added: ‘The best thing to do with a truly original voice is get out of the way and let it surprise you, listen to it and respond; in Jeff Beal, you have a truly original voice.’

The music of House of Cards has resonated with audiences around the world. As Beal has travelled from university campuses to concert halls, conducting suites from the show, he has talked to the fans as they express their thrill in hearing the music come to life. House of Cards in Concert was created as a way to bring this small-screen experience into the concert hall, and the House of Cards Symphony was born.

Each of the ten symphonic movements is built around a thematic idea or character. Rather than arranging these in a purely linear order, the symphony draws its own musical arc through the emotional and dramatic landscape of the Underwoods’ Washington drama. The orchestration and material have been expanded and developed to utilize the power of the full symphonic ensemble, while the core instruments of the House of Cards soundtrack remain: the electric bass, guitar, operatic voice and flugelhorn.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Just looked at the back cover on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQXPQTM - the first disc really runs over 83 minutes long?

I listened via the Naxos Music Library, which has disc 1 clocked at 1:22:18

I don't have an actual CD player or anything, just computers, a blu-ray player, two old DVD players, a PS4, an X-Box, and the CD players built into both our cars

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Is there anything a dedicated CD player would do that a Blu Ray player can't do?

I don't have a household situation (since there are 3 kids) where it makes sense to have one hub for all my media, including TV and such.  I plan on having an audio only stereo setup in my bedroom, the only space that's really available to me for music listening.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I don't have a household situation (since there are 3 kids) where it makes sense to have one hub for all my media, including TV and such.  I plan on having an audio only stereo setup in my bedroom, the only space that's really available to me for music listening.

I thought you had a fine library room / man cave in your new house! So you had to sacrifice it?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I thought you had a fine library room / man cave in your new house! So you had to sacrifice it?

I did.  It's a....a....a play room now....