What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think they're devilishly good.

That description is reserved for The Witches of Eastwick, Omen and Drag Me To Hell.

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

Waiting in Casablanca for our flight to return back to Montreal. 

...and wait...and wait...and wait.

Montreal? Was the flight to Lisbon delayed?

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Don't see the latter mentioned very often.  Splendid music for a dreadful film.  What a sordid affair.

It's lovely stuff, and also proves that Corigliano is a remarkable tunesmith and melodist as well, something that he never receives enough credit for.

While we're at him, i recently acquired a copy of 'Altered States', which in 1980 was as far as modernism could go in movies (though it also offers a credible love theme). It's a marvel, especially from a technical standpoint with Goldenthal's wailing brass already in full force. Ken Russel opined that he was lucky to get Corigliani and wasn't forced to take some Hollywood hack by WB - hard to believe that the job wouldn't have been offered to either Goldsmith or Williams at that point, so ouch...😎

Flute Concerto by John Williams.  Challenging piece, but definitely rewards a careful listen.  Some very interesting moments.  Nicely structured as well.  

Batman Returns by Danny Elfman.  Definitely better than the original, which I rather liked anyway.  This one has Elfman hitting his stride.  Some intriguing material, dark but whimsical.  Strong usage of themes, too, especially the Batman theme, which I feel he puts to quite good use.

JFK by John Williams.  Love this score, and not just the noble elegiac material, which, of course, is more than fantastic .  There is a vitality in the mid-album tracks as well.  The eclectic mix of material seems to capture something about the contradiction and coexistence of past and present, ideals and reality.  This is how you use electronics, at least in my book.  John does not get too overboard with them, save perhaps in "The Witnesses."  But the "Garrison Family Theme" is especially well done to my years. 

Some Yamaha FM action going on there @Nick Parker?        

Gone Girl - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

I now think that this is the duo's finest score so far, but I still only care for less than 20 minutes of it. There is some fine ambience to be found here. I am not a big fan of the more industrial, edgy and gritty stuff though. Favourite tracks include Empty Places, Procedural etc.

17 hours ago, Romão said:

My favorite Rózsa. I love the re-recording

Ditto. Intrada's re-recording of Ivanhoe is equally wonderful but their re-recording of Julius Caesar was the first Rózsa score I ever listened to and holds a special place in my heart.

In the early-to-mid 90's i was still too young to go out regularly - the stars aligned, then, and Germany's first cable companies, endlessly hungry for old movies to fill their schedule, served my blooming interest in movie music, especially after 10pm. Charles Bronson movies, of course, were a common occurrence. And it might have been 'Breakheart Pass' were i realized that a distinctive name i recognized mostly from new-ish Hollywood blockbuster movies like 'Gremlins' up to then came up virtually every second night on western (favourites on german tv were 'Hour of the Gun', 'Wild Rovers' and 'Take a Hard Ride', impossibly titled 'Getting zapped one on the bib'). It's more a crime thriller on a train (from one of those Alistair McLean novels) so the few spots were the score gets busy are limited but when they come you perk up. The theme is edgy brass licks and strumming guitar (a Goldsmith speciality) and there are three killer action cues (the last 02:30 of 'The Boxcar', 'On the Move' and 'Last Battle'). Beyond, its moody suspense with a modernist twist and incredibly detailed woodwind writing that died out, probably on 12/31/1979.

Hollywood '95

It still sounds great. The Horner and Goldsmith suites (particularly "Casper's Lullaby" and First Knight's "End Credits") feel like the original composers were at the podium, and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra's performance is on point. I'm surprised that ensemble hasn't been used more often in recent years, their playing is comparable to the L.A. and London session players.

Heartwood by John Williams.

Haven't heard this one in a while.  Deeply beautiful.  Will have to listen a few more times to be sure, but, as of right now, I think it is one of the best things John has written.

A spectacularly misguided step-by-step remake of Billy Wilder's sweet 1954 romcom, the 1995 'Sabrina' is so hopelessly anachronistic you better forget about it when you play Williams' beguiling old-school serenading. It's a cross between what he might have played on the piano for Friedrich Hollander or Adolph Deutsch around the time the original was made and a retro-chic update sans the excessive vibrato, though you still can sense how deeply this kind of writing is etched in JW's musical DNA.

Apart from the main theme that is clearly all that (and basically all that is really noteworthy about this score), the rest alternates between cocktail music (not terribly exciting) and light orchestral variations on the three themes Williams wrote, 'Accidental Tourist' style - mostly for romantic reasons. Boggling the mind: why Sting's vacuous voice was chosen to sing what is essentially a crooning Tony Bennett number remains a secret, though both of the other tunes/songs Williams contributes here don't register much, probably because they were written for a blank screen.

Let's just say that as far as fairy tales opening with loving shots of monstrous Long Island estates go, this one got the best score it could get. Though it probably would have been helped better by the 1954 original.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams

U.S. Marshals by Jerry Goldsmith

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams

The main theme is lovely, and Williams seems fond of it. He programs it in concerts. Other than that. Meh...

47 minutes ago, publicist said:

A spectacularly misguided step-by-step remake of Billy Wilder's sweet 1954 romcom, the 1995 'Sabrina' is so hopelessly anachronistic you better forget about it when you play Williams' beguiling old-school serenading. It's a cross between what he might have played on the piano for Friedrich Hollander or Adolph Deutsch around the time the original was made and a retro-chic update sans the excessive vibrato, though you still can sense how deeply this kind of writing is etched in JW's musical DNA.

Apart from the main theme that is clearly all that (and basically all that is really noteworthy about this score), the rest alternates between cocktail music (not terribly exciting) and light orchestral variations on the three themes Williams wrote, 'Accidental Tourist' style - mostly for romantic reasons. Boggling the mind: why Sting's vacuous voice was chosen to sing what is essentially a crooning Tony Bennett number remains a secret, though both of the other tunes/songs Williams contributes here don't register much, probably because they were written for a blank screen.

Let's just say that as far as fairy tales opening with loving shots of monstrous Long Island estates go, this one got the best score it could get. Though it probably would have been helped better by the 1954 original.

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Heartwood by John Williams.

Haven't heard this one in a while.  Deeply beautiful.  Will have to listen a few more times to be sure, but, as of right now, I think it is one of the best things John has written.

Steve, did you read this?

On 9/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, Richard said:

I like this one, as well.

Ideally listened to on a foggy day, deep in November.

It's like musical mist, if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh hey, what did you think?

I was in an evil mood tonight for whatever reason. 

But, um...uh...how do I review music as a means of pleasing this Nick chap...it was...very musical...it had a theme, I think...it sounded very much as though it were music...and I like music...so I...liked this!

(Driving home at night to it was ideal! Good ol' gothic Goldsmith greatness)

2 hours ago, John said:

Taxi Driver, by Bernard Herrmann

Herrmann's final film score, and one of his best.

***** out of *****

Hell yeah!  Some of his most effective colors, and turns a gritty commentary on Vietnam into an urban opera in its dramatic scope. 

13 hours ago, John said:

Taxi Driver, by Bernard Herrmann

Herrmann's final film score, and one of his best.

***** out of *****

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah!  Some of his most effective colors, and turns a gritty commentary on Vietnam into an urban opera in its dramatic scope. 

Of course, no-one knew that it would be his last score, but what a way to sign-off?!

Agreed, John: 5/5.

The Score by Howard Shore: Sounds like a prototypical heist score with great jazzy feel with Shore's own orchestrational and motivic imprints all over it. Very much rooted in rhythm and constant forward motion this 38 minute album is just the right length to not overstay its welcome and is actually a really enjoyable example of Shore's versatility.

The Departed by Howard Shore: Who would have thought that a tango would be just the thing to musically describe this cat-and-mouse game of police VS the Boston Irish mob but it works surprisingly well. Shore also features the guitars in this score both for the tango and for his other thematic ideas and it gives the music its own singular stamp like with the lengthy quietly emotional Billy's Theme or the slow dance-like almost South American sounding Madolyn or the funky slightly humorous effects in Chinatown.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

How many of those do you own?

How many what? Piratey scores, or do you mean which of the mentioned three? I own all three of those, if that's what you're referring to.